Duck/Goose burgers

Steve McCullough

~3 lbs of waterfowl breast without skin. Cut into small cubes and remove any clot or damaged meat. Wash meat several times, strain, and pat dry with paper towels
16 oz of bacon
1 coursely diced yellow onion
1 six ounce pack of portabello mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic
2 fresh jalapeno peppers (up to 4 depending on the group's love for Scoville units)
LOTS of fresh cracked black pepper
several heavy dashes of Tony Chachere's (I substitute this for salt)
dash of oregano
dash of thyme
1/4 cup of dark raisins
optional 1/4 cup of dehydrated apples finely minced
1 egg
Grated Parmesan cheese

Take bacon and pulse into mush. Place into large metal mixing bowl. Pulse fowl meat into fine paste as well. Add to bowl. Pulse the next 4 ingredients INDIVIDUALLY and add to bowl. Add seasoning. Mix well. Then add raisins, apples, egg. Mix well again. Add enough Parmesan to get the consistency you want. The meat should adhere well, but be a little sticky. If it is "runny", then add more Parmesan. Sorry for the "technical" language. It is feel. If you have the luxury of time, put the bowl in the fridge for a few hours to "steep". The flavors will build. You can either grill them, or pan fry them with olive oil. I like to top the meat with smoked gouda or pepper jack. Some fresh horseradish cream on the side is also nice.

You certainly can make this ahead of time and then pack and freeze. I will take plastic wrap and make a large 1 lb ball of meat and then wrap. Wrap that into freezer paper and then label. It will last about a year.

Duck and goose burgers are ALWAYS a hit!!

Very best,
Steve

Back