Can you do this?

Mark W

I would think I would know the answer to this. When out hunting the other day (went today as well, never shouldered the gun unlike yesterday where you could pick out the bird you wanted to shoot) the was a boat that had two guys in it. They were shooting like crazy. I couldn't see what they were shooting at but they were really going at it. I know that on more than one occassion they shot at least 10 shots and rapidly. Not like they shot 6 times reloaded and shot again. It was almost non stop. This would mean they either had more than 3 shells in their guns, or, they had more than one gun each in their boat. Is this allowabel? Have 2 loaded guns/hunter in the boat and when the first gun is out of shells quickly pick up the second one and keep on blasting?

Curious.

Mark W

I'm not sure about Minnesota but in NY I can't find anything that states it would be illegal to have more than one loaded gun in the boat. Unless there was someone else in the boat that was not licensed. Then it can be argued that the other unlicensed person was hunting illegally due to the extra loaded gun onboard.

My understanding is that in Ohio you can not have more than one loaded gun with three shells. If two guys were doing 10 consecutive shots would have to believe they had their plugs removed and 5 shot capacity.

My understanding is it is a state thing, so it varies. I have hunted with guys who legally brought one gun loaded for geese and one for ducks, but that was in a different state (and at a different time). I believe it is currently illegal to do that in Michigan, but it's not really something I am striving for, so I really am not 100% on it.

Chuck

Perfectly legal in Minnesota.

Not legal in Michigan or Manitoba, at least in the years I hunted there.

Mark
Those Minnesota ducks must be powerfully slow? :)
wis boz

I was hunting in your State.

I'm sure it was more than 12 shots even. It was almost machine gun fire.

Mark W

Mark
Just kidding about the slownest of the Minnesota ducks for that many shots although I've seen blue bills keep coming into an open hole in ice after being shot at repeatively. Wisconsin certaintly has it's share of bandits. How would you compare your season this year to last years?
wis boz

Mark
Just kidding about the slownest of the Minnesota ducks for that many shots although I've seen blue bills keep coming into an open hole in ice after being shot at repeatively. Wisconsin certaintly has it's share of bandits. How would you compare your season this year to last years?
wis boz

I look at the season a couple of different ways. In terms of getting out and trying new spots and hunting with others it has been a better season than most. In terms of ducks shot it has been very below average. I keep track or the number and type of ducks shot and both are pretty low. I don't know the. number of ducks shot off the top of my head but I do know I've only shot mallards, blue and green wing teal and a lone wood duck. That's it. And a goose or two.

How about you or any buddies?

Mark W

Mark
I thought after the snows Armistice day there would be some movement. My son and I took the Starcraft runabout converson out to pool 11 and got one shot at a flock of gadwalls and that was it. After sunset, ducks, geese, swans and pelicans came pouring in. Discovered the boat needs some retuning so didn't go out in the morning and headed home but there would have been early shooting I'm sure.
The duck migration seems to be in spurts--a bad day of weather sends them a short way South, then it warms up and they stall. It was in the 50's here yesterday and warmer still for today.
wis boz

Us duck hunters here in Oklahoma regularly have an auto loader in each hand, duck call lanyard in our teeth, and scream at the ducks as they're coming in....."FILL YOUR WINGS YOU SON OF A _ _ _ _ _ ", and start blazing away. LOL

Yup, that's correct Chuck, in MI, it is illegal for any waterfowl hunter to use or have in possession more than one shotgun while afield.

wait...can you have a back up gun, cased, unloaded in the boat in MI????

boz, I think of you every Armistice day.....thanks for sharing your story.

I believe that it is legal in VT to have more than one gun, provided all guns are limited to a 3 round capacity. My hunting partner would bring a duck gun and a goose gun while hunting lake Champlain. We've been checked by a state game warden and he did not seem to think it was a problem.
The machine gun effect can be made by echos. On the Champlain second opener, a group of sky busters across the bay from my blind sounded like they were using machine guns. After listening closely to several machine gun bursts, we could tell that half of the many shots we heard were actually echos, making 9 shots (three hunters) sound like 18+ shots. Even with all of their shooting, i don't think that group of hunters managed one kill, but I'm sure they scared every duck in the bay clear back to Canada. -M

Mike,

Speaking of Vermont..... Is it still legal to shoot fish with a rifle in Vermont? When I was a kid, I read an article in Outdoor Life (early '50's), about shooting spawning pike with a rifle. These guys would get up in trees, either in the water or on shore, and shoot at pike with their deer rifles. This was in the Spring when the Northern's were spawning in the shallow water.

I used to carry my deer rifle on duck hunts, when our duck season was still opened and deer season just opened. I'd hunt the rice botoms on the St. Croixt and there were huge deer trails cutting right through the middle of the swamps. Lots of sign, but never did see a deer.

Art

In Vermont, on water of lake champlain up to the first barrier, from March 25th to May 25th it is legal to shoot pike, pickerel, bowfin, gar, bullhead, mullet, suckers, and shad. I've never done it, but you have the idea. Climb a tree overhanging a swampy slang and let let loose with your deer rifle. I've been told that low velocity bullets bounce but do not penetrate the water well. A good 30-06 fired from an elevated tree penetrates nicely.....
I too have considered bringing a deer rifle along while duck hunting. While paddling up the otter creek in the dark heading to a duck blind, Ive jumped deer bedded next to the river. Come daylight, I find trails everywhere but never see a deer. Speaking of which, opening day of our traditional 16 day rifle season is in the AM. I'll need all the luck I can get!

Back