Wood Boat (BBIII) on roller trailer

Andrew L.

Gents

The BBIII has been great so far but one thing I am really missing is my roller trailer. I currently have the boat set on a 2 bunk trailer and at a few my launches it is harder than I would like to get the boat off the trailer (shallow) & even with trailer guides coming back on the trailer is not as smooth as my previous roller trailer that centered everything up for me automatically.

Question is, is there is a way for me to get the boat on a roller trailer without damage over time? Another option might be slick sticks on the bunks?
My typical hunt travels are 45+ minutes one way so there is a good amount of road time each fall.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Question is, is there is a way for me to get the boat on a roller trailer without damage over time?

And the great roller/bunk debate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Andrew,

I've never had a roller trailer damage a boat, period. On the other hand, I've seen some damaged hulls, both from rollers and from bunk abrasion.

For sure a trailer with say four rollers is not going to give as much support as a trailer with 8 rollers or 16 rollers. Like wise a trailer with 2 foot bunks is not going to support as well as a trailer with 8 foot bunks. Even with 8 foot bunks, how much of that 8 foot is actually supporting any load? A 2x4 or 2x6 laid on it's side has a lot of flex and will just push away from the load, except for where the bunk itself is fastened to the trailer.

The key to good support is not roller verses bunk. The key to good support is placing that support under an area of the boat which is built to support the load. Roller placement will depend on just how the trailer is designed. Such as, is each roller on it's own mounting bracket or are there pairs of rollers attached to a floating bracket? Sometimes there is a set of 4 rollers all floating on a single pivot point. The spread of the "set" must be accounted for as well as the placement of said set.

Ideally each roller should line up to a support structure within the boat directly above the roller. As an example the rearmost roller should be under the transom. The next roller under the next bulkhead and so forth. Yes this will most likely mean either a custom trailer or one that has been modified to fit your boat.

IMHO a properly set up roller trailer is a fine choice for any hull, regardless of construction material of said hull. That said, I know that others will strongly disagree.
[/font]

Depending on length of your hull and contact available use 2x6 bunks with slicks. Usually they,re sold by length of bunks. I occasionaly hit mine with a little silicone spray but that's just because I,m unloading a fully loaded 20' seeark hull. A little shove on slight incline ramp and its off a flying.

Few things...

There have been people that have tried slick sticks (or similar) and had problems with serious abrasion through the 'glass into the wood. I don't remember the details, but there are a number of versions, some that offer more support and some less. There may be someone who uses them and will chime in when I say not to use them.

I like silicone spray bunk lube and it makes a big difference in moving the boat on the trailer. The only downside is that you have to remember to apply it once in a while and I am always hustling on the ramp I forget - but it works.

I would consider a roller trailer for myself if I really wanted one, but I'd build the boat and buy the trailer and set up the trailer for it. I'd make sure the rollers were on structure underneath and were not in the middle of nowhere on only 3/8" plywood. Lots of rollers, each placed carefully. Done perfectly, I think it would be fine. Done wrong, I think it would harm the boat.

Back