Update your waterfowl wealth

anthony m coons sr

During the course of this cold snowy winter and wet spring. I wanted to look through the hundreds of old photos that I have. I found so many great memories of me and my old hunting partners. Pictures an memories that I forgot I even had. I'm not going to lie, some brought tears to my eyes. Some of my hunting buddies that were taken way to young. Hunting dogs that were my best friends for many years. Duck blinds that we built , pictures of old hunting camps , ducks and geese and deer being grilled for all. Waterfowl wealth that know one could ever take from me. There were pictures of boats that I couldn't even get into now days. It was great looking back on all the good times that I had. Seeing old friends faces that I only could see in my dreams. But the one thing I really took a way from all this get memories. Was I still love the same things. I might have a better boat, more guns, better decoys etc. But for the most part at 58 years young. I am still the same man today. Wealth is measured in so many different ways. But I 'm here to tell you. Money could not buy the kind of memories I looked back on. I'm sure all of you are rich with waterfowl wealth. Your friends and family are lucky to have such a wealthy person in their lives.
View attachment Picture 190.jpg

Last edited:
So what exactly is that in the background there Anthony? Is that a pontoon boat with a cabin and stairs? Looks pretty cool.

Greg

That was our old camp. It was a wonderful house boat at one time. We use to have it out in the Hudson River for many years as a camp. Nothing but wonderful times on it. As it got older we pulled it out of the river and made it into a camp on land. We used it for about twenty years or so. But the old girl had to be put down a few years ago. Just couldn't be repaired anymore. The mice and rats got into it over the years. But trust me my friend if that old girl could of talked she could of told some great hunting stories.

Looks pretty good Anthony, I'm sure it was a lot of fun. Is the Hudson river hunting all open water, or do you have some marshes too?

Greg

We have lots of bays and marshes up and down the Hudson River. The old girl was tons of fun. There was nothing like hunting all day and pulling up to your floating camp. It was quit the hot spot for all duck hunters for along time.

I live outside of Philly, and hunt on Delaware Bay near Dividing Creek, which is almost as south as you can get, except for Cape May. I hunt just the tidal marsh in that area now. I have also hunted around Barnegat Bay and Great Egg Harbor over the years, although rarely do I venture beyond Dividing Creek these days. My friends and I have a hunting camp down there, and it's just too easy to not lug boats and gear all over the place. Plus, there is plenty of marsh to hunt in that area, it is mostly public between the Delaware Memorial bridge and Cape May. A pickup skidded off the road and ran into our place in December of 2016, and we didn't finish repairs and get the electric back on until December of last year, so I didn't hunt as much the last two years, and can't rightly tell you if there were more or less black ducks last year. But there are generally plenty of them around, and I don't really shoot that many any more, as I would prefer to eat other puddle ducks. Last year was gadwall central, as a group we never killed so many in one year. Our most abundant ducks are blacks and green-winged teal, and then mallards, pintails, gadwalls, in any order depending upon the year. Occasionally a wigeon or two. There are buffleheads also, but I don't shoot them as I don't care to eat them either. Snow geese have usually stage in the area starting in late December, but seem to not be that far north in the last few years during duck season and I don't see as many. In January and February, theere have traditionally been lots of snow geese on the edge of the bay and in the marsh near the bay, and can be decoyed with a small rig when you can set up within a half mile or so of a raft of them.

Greg

Sounds like your busy, I too didn't hunt ducks that much last year. It wasn't because I didn't want to . More of a health thing. But the times I went we had a blast. Maybe not in the killing department. But in the fellowship. Enjoying hunting with my son and a few younger friends. They do all the work and I tell old stories lol. It sounds great down there, Hope everything works out so you can hunt more this year. Its been so nice talking to you.

Back