NJ Garvey Restoration

Tom Barb

Well with my recent progress and the new format and easier way to post pics, I guess I'll get this thread going.

I picked up this Garvey from a friend who got it from the original owner at the jersey shore. It was made by John Petzak of Parkertown around 1993. All cedar construction, traditional cross planked. A book called "Down the Jersey Shore" by Russell Roberts and Richard Youmans has a nice write up about Petzak.

View attachment IMG_1991.PNG

Haven't quite figured out how to continue typing after adding photos so I'll start another post.

Here's the boat when I picked it up and first assessed the repairs. This was last fall and a lot has changed since then. New house with smaller shop and the move has had me scrambling. I finally got a chance to finish repairs and start glass work in the last few weeks.

The boat was originally glassed with polyester so it had some delamination which caused cracks, which water got into and was rotting some of the cedar. The chine logs were also rotted out and some were removed. I think this boat had some water sitting in it at some point.

I had to replace both chines, and only one section of a plank on the starboard side near the chine.

More to come...
View attachment IMG_1961.JPGView attachment IMG_1962.JPGView attachment IMG_1970.JPGView attachment IMG_1969.JPGView attachment IMG_1968.JPG

With the initial coat of fairing I used thickened epoxy with wood flour to fill the cracks and screw holes as well as some of the imperfections in the hull. Then I sanded and went over it wil us composites fairing compound. Then sanded and did it again. The hull is fair enough for a duck boat.

Then I began the fiberglassing process. The sides and transom were a bear with the vertical surface but I managed to get the 6 oz cloth on both sides and the transom. The bottom will get two layers of 6 oz and I will fill the weave completely. Will be a couple weeks before I can get to it again so making it to tuckerton with this boat doesn't look like it's going to happen.

View attachment IMG_4143.JPGView attachment IMG_4145.JPGView attachment IMG_4147.JPGView attachment IMG_4157.JPGView attachment IMG_4159.JPGView attachment IMG_4161.JPGView attachment IMG_4162.JPGView attachment IMG_4168.JPGView attachment IMG_4170.JPGView attachment IMG_4172.JPG

I clammed for years out of a cross planked garvey on the Great South Bay. On a cross chop she would Rock and roll over the waves. Mine was double decked and that kept a lot of stuff out of the bilge. Mine also had a wheelhouse. Good luck with the boat.

The second maiden voyage of its life after the rehab. Overall it performed better than expected. It drafted very little water, was extremely stable, and solid. My 15 hp Suzuki pushed it well. Not winning any races but it got on plane with me, my dad and some fishing gear. We even got a few flounder to boot. Very satisfying bringing this boat back to life. View attachment F621FE4F-6F8D-45AE-B974-AB58C66282D3.jpeg

Good morning, Tom~

Spectacular restoration - congratulations!

re adding text after photos: I have found it easiest to draft the entire text, then add photos. (Because navigating past the photo can be tough. If you slide the lower grey bar all the way to the right, though, you can find the lower right corner of the photo and hit ENTER to get to the next blank line.)

Question 1: How did you remove the polyester resin 'glass? Did you try a torch?

Question 2: Will you treat the new cedar decks - or just let weather? I might try a (residential) deck treatment - like Thompsons Water Seal or such. That would retain the natural non-slip but also keep some moisture out of the wood.

All the best,

SJS

Nice resto. I can remember the day when boats of that style were everywhere in my area. Lots were used by commercial crabbers when they first started. My brother actually used one up to the point when crossing a hard chop you watched the floor move! That hull was referred to as a scow in my neck of the woods with a slightly different bow and a little forward v they became chinoteague scows. Both hulls have long sense been replaced by Carolina skiffs and its hard to find people using either of the afore mentioned hulls around here. A labor of love on your part to bring her back to life!

Thanks guys.

Steve, I peeled a lot of it right off. Then tried a heat gun on the tough spots with a little success. My best option was an old handplane. It took some of the wood off but it all got sanded and faired out.

As far as the floor, I was instructed by a friend with experience to leave it unfinished. This turned out to be a good option with fishing and bare feet. When I would stand on the painted bench, the green paint would be very hot. The unfinished cedar stayed comfortable. It will live in my garage or under a decent cover when not in use for preservation.

Back