NDR - Those Other Breeds

Paul Strombeck

Nice to see the Pudlepointer along with some of the other dog breeds make it to the board. I started with a Chessie many years back and was a lab guy until recently. At one time I had 3 labs in the house much to the wife's chagrin. The Yellow in my avatar died about two years ago but before he passed I picked up a Boykin Spaniel. Great little dog, outstanding upland dog and went 4 for 4 to earn his upland title. Passed started at 7 months and finished Seasoned at 2.5. years I could probably push him through Finished but I do not see me taking him any further.
View attachment FB_IMG_1515890402344.jpg
Grouse Hunting
View attachment 20180319_135350.jpg
Snow Geese 2018
View attachment IMG_6476.JPG

Good looking pup. If I do get another dog, it will be a Boykin or AWS.

Paul,
Boykins seem to be a great dog. Everything I have read indicates they are real pleasers. I know one guy that hunts Boykin on the lower Columbia and he says he will always have one. Have you ever hunted woodcocks and doves over your Boykin? If so, how did it go? I understand some dogs don't like to pickup woodcocks and the loose feathers on doves my lab seems to dislike. My GSP did pickup the one and only woodcock I shot, so little no experience on that and not a chance to get them in WA.

Woodcock are pretty much incidental to my grouse hunts so he hasn't seen that many.. Although there are a couple of spots I check each year but haven't hit a good flight the past couple of years. That being said he has been force fetched and will pick them up on command but doesn't appear to be very fond of them.

I enjoy the breed and am active in the breed society and will be judging the Upper Midwest Boykin Spaniel event this coming weekend.

It is important to note they are not a lab and will not take heavy pressure. I learned the hard way lots of reps with slowly increasing pressure but once they have learned the task they tend to remember forever.

Here he is doing a conditioned retrieve at 9 weeks
View attachment Gunx9weeks.jpg

Last edited:
Back