Rio Steel at Rogers On-Sale

Carl

Staff member
Thought i would pass this along, Rogers has Rio Steel on sale.
I bought a case of the 3" 1 1/4oz #3s 4 or 5 years ago when they had it on sale for $80/case, had very good luck with it.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/rio-royal-blue-steel-mgn-36-12-gauge-3-1-1-4oz-1400fps-max-dram.html?utm_source=Rogers+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=c9bb672138-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_09072018&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0f5c048c4d-c9bb672138-188509601&mc_cid=c9bb672138&mc_eid=8736337b01

Haven,t tried their steel loadings but their 1 oz.x 7.5 shot. 20 gauge dove loads. are superb. A little faster velocity than Remington ammo and pattern very good from the 3 20,s I,ve tried them in.

I haven't tried Rio myself but just goose hunted with family who I thought was die hard federal. They pulled out some Rio today. They ran a case last year of 3.5 with zero defects and they performed well they said. Everything ran through some sort of after market full choke.

Yes, quality construction methods and techniques have costs; remember, many owners consider these heirloom boats, passed-down over generations.

I haven't bought shells from anyone except Rogers for the last 10 years. Federal, Rio and last year for the firs time, Fiocchi.
They have great prices, especially if you catch a sale, and free shipping on cases.

Carl you will like the Focchi. I find it hard to purchase any other brand of regular steel loads. I shot their field loads out of my 28ga for dove and liked it a lot. I have never had a failure with that brand. Their line is not huge but it is quality.

Tom,

The case of Fiocchi I bought is their 3",1 1/5 oz, #3s. I shot about 2 boxes last year and they functioned well and seemed to shoot just as good as other brands in similar loads.
Plus the boxes look cool. [smile]

If I needed shells and they were on sale, I would buy them again.

View attachment Fiocchi.jpg

Last edited:
It might be my luck but when I branch away from other brands I have had issues. One case would run great and the next would have issues.

I was given some fiocchi last year and after one shot I could hardley get my gun to open. Next box cycled great and the one after. I went back to problematic box and issue was still occurring.

When heavy metal started popping up every where I tried it. After shooting several boxes I bought a case. The shells were bulged and would hardley chamber. Had one cracked the length of the shell.

I am extremely careful with keeping shells dry but this is duck hunting. It might be in my head but some brands don't seem to take to the wet environment. Fasteel for me was problematic years ago and had a few wads stuck.

I always come back to federal and haven't had a surprise bad box yet. Luck of the draw I suppose.

This Rio brand really does seem good to go. After looking at their website..it appears made in the USA! I'm going to try a case of the 3.5. Its hard to not try at this price.

Thanks agian Carl for the heads up on the current sale!

I've had issues with fiocchi in the 16 gauge field/dove loads. Actually had one explode in the gun when I shot it. Was only half the shell left and it didn't eject leaving metal inside the gun that had to be taken apart to get the shell hull (what was left out) and for it to be cleaned to get little bits of brass out. I did get my first double with that shell though.

In the steel loads I had 3" 12gauge shells that wouldn't eject either and didn't want to chamber right. Plus for realoading purposes the primer is slightly different size so it would mess up the set up I have for reloading.

Back