DB navigation lites

Capt Rich Geminski

16' and under lighting? Fire extinguisher? USCG and NYS. Never had a problem, until I met a rookie bay guy. What are the rest of you using?

The Mercury outboard on my 16 footer has electric start, so I have regular hard-wired nav lights on that one. Fire extinguisher too. But on my sneak boats, which have no battery, I use the little clip-on nav lights that have their own internal batteries. Mine are the old fashioned ones that have incandescent bulbs and require two big D-cells each. They work fine, so I will continue using them, but some of the new LED type are way smaller and run for a long time on just a pair of AAA batteries. I don't carry a fire extinguisher on any of the sneakboats.

I'm not in NY, but I use battery powered LEDs, much better than the old incandescent.

In regards to a fire extinguisher, USCG regs dont require one under 16' unless you have a enclosed fuel tank.

In WA. On my 12 ft sneakboatish boat, 9.9 hp, manual start, I use the similar battery powered nav lights as Gordon mentioned. I agree with Carl on the LEDs, but the incandescent are still working. I would not go out without a fire extinguisher in a gas power boat. At least a whistle and at least 3 day/night pyros. Also have some 12 gauge aerial pyros. Don't forget your CO2 sticker. Type IV PFD.

Last edited:
Good morning, RD~

Question: What is a CO2 sticker?

I'm in NY - with a 13' Sneakbox powered by a 15-horse Evinrude. As I understand NYS regs, I need (and have) on board:

Registration
PFD
Fire extinguisher
Bilge pump (manual)
Anchor and rode
Extra line (40' of half-inch nylon)
Distress flag
Distress flares
Whistle
Nav lights (LED battery-powered)

I also have:

a bucket (for bailing if swamped) and big sponge

pair of oars/oarlocks (so I can get myself home without power)
11-foot push-pole

painter (12-feet of half-inch nylon) secured to bow

small tool kit w/ extra plugs, WD 40, etc
extra drain plug

canvas cockpit cover - to spend the night or rig a "weather cloth" in a blow
cell phone

lantern (battery-powered)

All the best,

SJS

Wow, NYS tegs are way beyond what USCG requires for a boat under 16?.

Carl~

Legal threshold in NYS is power. No registration if not powered irrespective of LOA - e.g., canoes, sailboats.

All the best,

SJS

Steve,
thanks for being more thorough than I was. I tried to stick to nav lights and fire extinguisher but did include a few other items, but not all. I agree with all you posted and do carry those items, expect the 11 ft push pole, the rescue flags, sponge (lost it). In addition I add the following to your list of items I carry:
1. extra prop and cotter pin and nut
2. fleece blanket for that night out
3. expandable boat hook
4. 1st aid kit
5. wool extra shirt and synthetic long underwear
6. extra head lamp and batteries
7. type IV PFD

I really like that you included the 12 ft painter on 13 ft boat, mine is 11 ft guess how long my boat is.

I guess it comes down to that there are min regs you need to meet that are USCG, then state or local laws requirements and there are what additional items make sense for your operations. These regs are minimum required[/b] items, not the only items. Thanks Steve.

On CO2 sticker see following WA regs. I was checked for this a couple of years ago. Not sure if this coming to a state near you or not.

RCW http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=88.02.390[/url]88.02.390
Carbon monoxide warning sticker?Display required.
(1) The department shall:
(a) Develop and approve a carbon monoxide warning sticker;
(b) Approve a carbon monoxide warning sticker that has been approved by the United States coast guard for similar uses in other states;
(c) Provide the carbon monoxide warning sticker when an application for a certificate of title is made and the ownership of the vessel is transferred between natural persons; and
(d) Notify the new vessel owner described in (c) of this subsection that the carbon monoxide sticker must be affixed to the vessel as described in subsection (2) of this section.
(2) A new or used motor driven vessel, as defined in RCW http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=79A.60.010[/url]79A.60.010[/url], other than a personal watercraft, as defined in RCW http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=79A.60.010[/url]79A.60.010[/url], sold within this state must display a carbon monoxide warning sticker as provided in subsection (1) of this section.
(3) A vessel dealer shall ensure that a carbon monoxide warning sticker has been affixed to any vessel sold by the dealer before completing the sale.
(4) A carbon monoxide warning sticker already developed by a vessel manufacturer satisfies the requirements of this section if it has been approved by the department.

View attachment IMG_0715.JPGView attachment IMG_0714.JPG

A CO sticker, required for an open boat with no enclosed cabin???
Really????
Now that's a classic example of regulatory overkill.

Back