What's on the bench? November 2018

Steve -

I like the high head Mallard, as well as the high head Black decoy. They are not easy decoys to find, and you did do them justice. I enjoyed reading your explanation of your work process. There are always lessons to learn from other artists & carvers that are willing to share.

Most of my Wildfowlers were acquired in the 1980's, when prices were within my reach. It took me a long time to find a high head, hollow pine, Old Saybrook Black Duck in OP, but I did finally. Other decoys I bartered/traded for.

This Old Saybrook, balsa, drake Mallard is the first OP Wildfowler I acquired for a very good price.

View attachment PB110004.JPGView attachment PB110003.JPG

This repainted balsa, Blue Bill, the first OS Wildfowler in my care. The decoy came from a large rig of Wildfowlers. Yup, that is Pigeon Poop that ate through the paint.

View attachment PB110015.JPG

A OP balsa Old Saybrook Can

View attachment PB110012.JPG

A OP balsa, Point Pleasant, oversize Brant

View attachment PB110019.JPG

Mighty fine old factory decoys they are IMO.

Best regards

Vince

Chuck~

Great looking Blacks!

...but....I do have one suggestion: tone down the tertials and limit them to the mid-line of the back.

Here's how I did some Model 63 Herter's Black Ducks. I use the face color (Mocha Latte) for most of the "smoke" - and just highlight the inner edgings with the lighter tone.

View attachment sm 63 Black Duck - tertial detail.jpg

Here's a living bird. Note especially the drake.

View attachment xamerican-black-duck-15.jpg.pagespeed.ic.M_4m4raZe1 _PAIR - tertials.jpg

All the best,

SJS

george w said:
Nice "dippers". How do you make them defy gravity so well?[;)][angelic]

Easy, post from your phone, and the results will be unpredictable. And you won't know it is not oriented right until you look on a computer!

Good morning, All~

Lest Dave take a break from The Bench and actually hunt ducks, he stopped by yesterday on his way up to Lake Champlain. We spent a fine afternoon top-coating 2 Gadwall pairs that he had primed and ready for finery.

View attachment sm DD Grey Ducks - Four on the Floor.JPG

Here's more of a duck's-eye-view.

View attachment sm DD Grey Ducks - Overhead.JPG

Here's the Proud Painter.

View attachment sm DD Grey Ducks - The Proud Painter.JPG

As it is shooting time right now (6:26 AM EST), I hope he is watching a live bird or two dance over the bead on his shotgun.

All the best,

SJS

These are officially off the work bench! Black cork, white pine bottom/tail boards and basswood heads.

I was happy with them until I started painting and then noticed a lot of things I wish I would have fixed. But I wanted to hunt over something I made this season and with all the cold weather and ice we had last week I pushed them through.

Many thanks to the forum and Steve Sanford's tutorials for making my first attempt a positive experience. A local carver has reached out and offered to give me some help, but I haven't been able to find the time yet. John I hope to connect soon!

Hunted over them on Saturday morning, broke some ice and added them to a spread of plastic decoys. We weren't where the birds wanted to be but managed two blacks - kind of fitting.
View attachment IMG_0561 - Copy.JPGView attachment IMG_0565 - Copy.JPG

Good morning, Pat~

Very cool! Your paint on those Broadie-beaks is perfect!

I almost ordered out a Black Duck kit....but I'm trying to be responsible and keep on task with my other boats and decoys....maybe after the holidays?

And, Yes, I cannot help myself. I need to re-paint almost any used decoy I see. It's another of my many compulsions - and downright dangerous around valuable antiques. Fortunately, Santa will be bringing me two more "worn-out" Wildfowlers that need to get back on the water.

All the best,

SJS

Steve - I suffer from the same problem. I have a hard time passing up an old decoy collecting dust. With a little sprucing up, they can get back in the game. Put me in Coach!

Back