Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked....

Carl

Staff member
I cooked duck breast tonight for the family and it was quite possibly the best I ever cooked.
Gadwalls and Buffies, family devoured it all.
I really out-did myself this time.
Brined the fillets for 10 hours, brine contained 4 cups water, 1 beef bullion cube, 2 TBS of brown sugar, 2 TBS kosher salt, 1 tsp garlic powder & 1/2 TSP black pepper.
After brining, I pounded them almost flat with a meat hammer. Make sure to put a layer of plastic wrap over them so you don't spray the kitchen with blood & meat-bits!
Heated up a large cast iron pan of oil to 375 degrees.
Had 3 dips: plain flour, then beaten eggs (2) with some milk, then flour seasoned with pepper and garlic powder, in that order.
Deep fried for 2 minutes each side.
Topped with a simple homemade gravy.
Very very tender, very mild flavored, yes even the buffies were great! My wife actually preferred the buffies over the gadwalls.

View attachment IMG_6259.JPG

Last edited:
Sounds pretty good. I usually make a gumbo or chili with mine just to use up a lot at one time or brine and smoke large amounts of breasts.

Sounds like a great way to prepare it, might try it next time. Thanks for sharing.

Buffies must be eating something good this year because my wife liked them better than the woodies I shot this year. And she doesn't care for duck and does not like goose.

Carl,

I am seriously hungry after reading your post. We do the same thing with our goose breasts, you just have to fillet them in half (thickness) before hammering.

Brining is the secret to every ?inedible? meat. It?s all about the salt ant brown sugar in my palet. black pepper is perfect too.

It?s amazing what a 24hr soak will do.

Ginger and soy is the next step for mergs.... I can make wontons from red breasts that will blow your mind.

Looks good Carl. I usually do a similar brine on duck breasts. Mine is some combination of fresh garlic, Worcestershire Sauce, soy sauce, Marsala, and water to cover. Then finished on the grill.

The pan fry is maybe a better option, since it leads to gravy. Nothing better than gravy on a fry.

I have done the same experiment on my families taste buds, putting a mallard up against some the "less desired" species. I have had similar results, either no difference or better.

Carl said:
I cooked duck breast tonight for the family and it was quite possibly the best I ever cooked.
Gadwalls and Buffies, family devoured it all.
I really out-did myself this time.
Brined the fillets for 10 hours, brine contained 4 cups water, 1 beef bullion cube, 2 TBS of brown sugar, 2 TBS kosher salt, 1 tsp garlic powder & 1/2 TSP black pepper.
After brining, I pounded them almost flat with a meat hammer. Make sure to put a layer of plastic wrap over them so you don't spray the kitchen with blood & meat-bits!
Heated up a large cast iron pan of oil to 375 degrees.
Had 3 dips: plain flour, then beaten eggs (2) with some milk, then flour seasoned with pepper and garlic powder, in that order.
Deep fried for 2 minutes each side.
Topped with a simple homemade gravy.
Very very tender, very mild flavored, yes even the buffies were great! My wife actually preferred the buffies over the gadwalls.

Sounds great- Now I'm shooting buffies.....[cool]

I will be trying this! I am new to the kitchen and like seeing HOW to cook ducks from duck hunters.
Much appreciated!

Someone shared a sweet and sour recipe. It was easy and taste identical to what you get at the restaurant. Its a good one to switch up things. Will load up later.

Andrew L. said:
A good buffie recipe & Phil claims he can grill goldeneye. What is this world coming to!? [smile]

Next thing you know people will post a coot recipe!

Carl said:
Andrew L. said:
A good buffie recipe & Phil claims he can grill goldeneye. What is this world coming to!? [smile]

Next thing you know people will post a coot recipe!

That might work Carl, as long as you remember that everything tastes better with bacon. [whistle] [w00t]

Back