What's on your workbench ? MARCH

Will -

Thank you.

With a good hardwood dowel, or metal stake, it can be set up in various places that Wood Ducks like to hangout, and feed.

Cutbanks on a river or stream, where the acorns are falling is just one place. Also in fresh cut corn fields, in years of poor acorn crop.

I made a wooden insert for the front stake hole of my Marsh Boat. Can put the decoy there also, when the boat is well hidden.

Just something to add to the rig, and challenge my carving ability.

Best regards
Vince

Thanks, Bob, I ended-up recutting the side pockets and lowering the primaries. Because I pieced the cheeks in, I will seal the heads on these low birds wit a couple of coats of warmed epoxy to prevent them from separating...hopefully!

Anyone replace the rheostat on a Detail Master III? Pretty sure this is the issue, per my multi-meter readings.

Good morning, Mike~

Very nice! This bird fits 2 posts - a Hen Hoodie was the first duck I ever shot - 54 seasons ago....

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Matt~

Beautiful birds all!

I need to finish this Greater Yellowlegs by tomorrow afternoon - for a friend's fundraiser. I just put the base coat of finish paint on - and the Mahogany base got slathered with Minwax "Gunstock" oil stain.

The bird is Basswood with a Hickory bill insert and the "leg" is brass rod.

View attachment Yellowlegs - primed sm.jpg

Note that I used bronze boat nails for the eyes - not glass. It hails back to the "tack" and "button" eyes of early stool.

All the best,

SJS

George~ Not sure If I'll be there or not. Sunday may be only day I can get up there.

Steve~ I took some liberties with your mallard pattern.

Steve Sanford said:
Pat and Frank~

Great birds. Of course, Turkey season will be here long before Teal season....(though I'd love to hunt Cinnamons and Bluewings sometime!)

Here's the finished Yellowlegs.

Those tack eyes got black paint and everything got satin varnish.

All the best,

SJS

Dang!! Great work and details!

Back