WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE PIGS

anthony m coons sr

Sorry about the title of this post! But I'm mad as heck at some people. As you all know I been working hard with my club putting out wood duck boxes. Over the past two months we have mounted over 60 boxes. Up and down the Hudson Valley in Up State New York. But that isn't what this post is about. On 3/29/19 we were mounting boxes in a State Park. This park has a swamp on it that is the number one breeding ground for wood duck and teal in our are. The State took it over a few years ago. It is really nice I hunted it many years ago. My Club use to have this land for many years. But the owner past and he left it to the State I think or his children sold it. Not sure about the details. Anyway on this site the State built a really cool handy cap
blind. So that they could duck hunt or just look at the wetland and its wildlife. As we pulled up to the parking area the site was covered in trash. As we walked down the ramp over the swamp the water was filled with trash. It really pissed me off. With us was a young lady that was are new Presidents girlfriend. She isn't into hunting. But by God she was into nature. While we were putting up boxes on this great wetland and breeding ground. She picked up all the trash in the parking lot. Not only that she jumped off the blind into the swamp and got all that dam trash out of the water. I could not of been more proud and happy. I made a good choice picking this man to be President. If he draws a lady like that he must be a good man.

Man destroys almost everything he touches. But the rest of us will do are best to fix his screw ups.

View attachment December 2018 photos from Galaxy 1146.jpg

Anthony -

SLOBS are what my late uncle, and his best buddy would call them.

They made sure that my cousin and I knew that, and had better not ever become one. Or there would be hell to pay.

It is how folks are raised, that points them in the directions that they go.

Since moving to NY. I have seen more trash left at shooting ranges than I have ever seen.

What a disgrace, and we are all lumped together as being like that.

With the new NY law banning plastic bags that may help a little. Guess I'll have to use paper bags to pick up all the trash that I find.

First day of trout is Monday. So there will be major messes to clean up.

Best regards
Vince

Anthony,

I know that very spot. I've not hunted there, but I went down and took a look around. The handicap blind is really great! Unfortunately that parking area and blind are in a tucked-away, fairly secluded spot without much traffic. It's evident that it has become a party spot for those who do not care about nature. When I was down there the parking area was quite full of empty beer and liquor bottles, a used condom, bags from fast food restaurants, used toilet paper, and of course cigarette butts.

I really do not understand the mindset of some people who see nature as a trash can. That's great to hear about the cleanup (as well as the wood duck boxes). Unfortunately I fear that it won't take long before it becomes trashed once again. I'm sure the past owned would cringe to see what has become of it.

Vince

It makes me sick because it all kinds of people that are like that. NY City people get blame for it all the time. But these people are from around here I would bet. They don't know how good they got it here. My dad always told me. Always treat the land as if it was your own. Leave it better then you found it. I always lived by that. I also thought my two son to do the same. But we will fight the fight and maybe we may never win. But we will die trying. Thanks buddy!

Overland

Your so right! when I go back up to check the boxes. I'm sure the trash will be back. But I hope that sooner or later one of the trash throwers get caught. And they throw the book at them. Maybe it will scare some of the others away. One can only hope. Thanks !

Anthony- I just don?t get how some people litter.

Two of my pet peeves are helium balloons and the way fisherman litter at a few spots. My wife and I probably pick up hundreds of balloons off the beach, marshes and water in June alone. They mostly come from graduations and weddings, but where do people think they end up? There are a few local spots where I find bottles, food wrappers, etc. then find wrappers for fishing gear and discarded bait containers... you would think these guys would know better.

Tom

Your so right my friend, People always blame outsiders for this kind of stuff. But its just as much as a problem for people that live right in these areas. I never understand that some of these people are like us. Love the outdoor hunt fish ,boat etc. But just throw their trash on land and in the water. I'll never understand!!!! Thanks

Thomas

I think people see those signs and think it says dumb here. The fines are to small for littering in New York State. In a State that we pay almost the highest everything. You would think keeping the State clean would be worth some jail time or community service (PICKING UP TRASH) and a big fine. Trah belongs in land fill. Not wetlands or any other areas. Thanks

Maybe you could contact your State Representative and ask him or her to make it a stiffer penalty for littering. Take some pictures and e-mail them to your State Representative.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Just a suggestion. You have to start somewhere>

Tom

Tom -

Folks do try very hard, as do the law enforcement officers, but it's up to town court, etc. The penalty can be a stiff fine, or a slap on the wrist.

Best regards
Vince

Vince,

I understand your point, But it is still a inconvenience to the offender if caught by going to court and going through the process. Hopefully they will think twice
before tossing trash on the ground again. If the word gets out that you will have to pay a price if caught littering it might help.

Tom

Good morning, All~

Littering - a sad topic - and one I'll never understand. Especially when I allow some to fish on my big pond - and they leave their wrappers, bottles et cetera.

Our roadsides hereabouts in dairy country are reasonably trash-free - but cans, bottles, bags and wrappers are obviously tossed out of passing cars and trucks. The litterers can pretty much be "profiled" by the goods they discard - but one year I kept finding empty cottage cheese containers.....didn't match my profile....

I, too, thought a trail camera might work at this parking area. Although I'm not a fan of the automated traffic cams (I'm a big fan of due process), the technology could certainly be applied to good effect.

And, fines may not be the only solution. I heard a story (apocryphal?) long ago of a NWR biologist who found a bag of trash on refuge lands. In the bag was an incriminating envelope. So, the creative professional bought a voluminous fast-food meal and brought it to the offender's address. Without a word, he proceeded to sit down and enjoy the meal on the front lawn - and was sure to toss the wrappers and containers away with abandon.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander?

All the best,

SJS

I have heard about people finding bags of trash on the side of the road with incriminating evidence of who it belongs to, the trash was gathered up and then taken to the address and dumped in the yard. No clue if it is true but it does sound good.

I think lots of money could be had if police officers with their dash cams stopped people and ticketed them every time they saw someone toss a cigarette butt out the window. Maybe people would think twice if they were getting fined $500. But then again, maybe not.

For the last couple of weeks I have taken time to visit nearby trout streams.

The array of trash went the entire spectrum, from the regular stuff to disgusting, even a pregnancy test kit, and why it was used...

Worse was the amount of fishing line left over from past seasons on shore, in the trees, brush, and just about everywhere you could look.

Wildlife takes a big hit from all the nylon line that folks leave, even though there are line disposal containers nearby. WTF?!

I try my best to remove as much line as possible, and have a large array of snap swivels and every kind of hook, rig, and lure.

Very few flies and leaders are found.

It seems that folks are more out of touch with nature than ever. Parking areas are party areas.

Having worked on a garbage truck, and at a sewage treatment plant nothing surprises me.

If it were up to me, all citizens would have to work one day a year doing each, so they know.

It happens everywhere, there is a well known spot for shooting on the local Forest Service land. Some people are very good sports cleaning up after themselves. Others are slobs and leave not only brass but everything they brought with them including food trash and things they brought to shoot up and destroy like old tvs, couches, lamps, etc. Its gross. The local gun group does 2 cleanups a year there and the last one we hauled away 2 rolloff dumpsters FULL of crap people abandoned there. It was very sad and gross.

Good job to the Sportsmen, Trash is everywhere, We all here will never understand. But keep up the good fight. We may never win. But we could win a few rounds.

Vince,
Good to hear NY banned plastic bags. Florida cities are placing bans but there is a bill in the statehouse right now to outlaw the local bans on plastics. Money talks.
Went to a talk on plastics in the ocean saw a before and after pictures of Maui landfill. Ban on plastic bags made a huge difference.
Single use plastic is the problem.By 2050 plastic trash in the ocean will out weigh the all fish in the ocean.
Surprised that fishermen would leave line around knowing the problem.
Ken

Back