Canvas turkey decoy

benp

Figured I'd start a whole new post so if someone tried to search it sometime in future all the information will be in one spot and not in workbench posts.

So yeah started this project over a year ago I believe and it went through changes as I built it.
I drew up a pattern and by the time I made the decoy the body size was decreased to save on weight and make it easier to make certain parts, so it is smaller than life size especially the wings which are smaller than they should be to be in proportion to the body but still works fine.

The head is detachable as are the wings and tail fan. Wanted the head to be able to come off for safety and so it wouldn't be damaged in transit. The fan I made from a turkey I shot years ago, I pulled the feathers out and hot glued them to thin plastic strips and then drilled a hole on the bottom so they would pivot to fold up for carrying. The plastic pieces have braided fishing line attached in series so when I fan it out they all fall into place.

Here is the head painted up and you can see the back of it where it hooks into the head board.
View attachment E0F70417-E0C3-4E11-A585-1109D61E5D73.jpeg

Head hooked on the frame. Should have taken more photos of this
View attachment 582C8027-F5A3-4F0A-B6CA-46F1CA097B0B.jpeg

This is one of the wings, thought I had one that showed all the wires installed but couldn't find it.
View attachment 98D8D1C6-1446-420F-8919-5F36BF9B9D8C.jpeg

The wing covered up
View attachment 0B34643A-3CAB-4DE0-B2BD-4328A9FE47AA.jpeg

Here the bottom part I have added canvas and attached it to the center rib. I then did the top separate and attached it to the some point.
View attachment 47511ADD-BD07-40C6-83D6-ED49A3E721B8.jpeg

View attachment 14D897E9-F04E-4A75-8DCF-B8DF65984CD5.jpeg

View attachment A7F274CA-E4C2-4A18-B2EC-F778E52B575A.jpeg

Here it is all finished up and ready to hunt. Which is a day late since season cams in yesterday but I didn't go. Too much of a chance of rain for me.
View attachment 065DFDB6-976A-4252-98DC-E35FEB90034C.jpeg

View attachment F98CC870-5666-4103-9B45-C2AE1076A8B9.jpeg

I drew up a revised pattern after I made this one so if anyone else wants to try or if I decide to make another one. It's drawn to scale to make the same size bird I made with 1cm=1 inch I believe except for one part is 1/2 cm = 1 inch

View attachment 6C6A14E9-E1B7-4A37-8562-900414CE6D85.jpeg

So this was a challenging project that put my canvas skills to the test and learned a lot from it. I hope to add a hen next year and maybe another after that. Hoping for a feeding hen and a walking hen.
The next picture I post will hopefully have a dead Tom next to the decoy.

Very impressive effort. Please post up a success pic if you are so lucky, or at least let us know how you fare when you take it afield.

Good morning, Ben~

Great workmanship and great result!. I really like your paint job.

I wish you many happy days afield with him.

All the best,

SJS

Ben -

That is some mighty fine craftsmanship.

How do you plan to transport it, especially to run and gun?

As good as it looks. Ya may wanna position yourself to make sure it only draws other turkeys, coyotes, and not other hunters.

My partners and I have has some very scary incidents over many years of Spring Turkey hunting.

Rainy days are some of the best, especially when it's Booming thunder, but I'm way to old for that now...[;)]

Hope ya have a good season.

Best regards
Vince

Thanks all,

Vince,
I have a bag that will be used for transport, this one I made for just a single set hunt and not for the gun and run, could be used for that because with the way the body is hollow inside I could just pick it up and carry it no problem but plan to make a second decoy that is made for quick moving and set up.

As far as safety I try to set up with any decoy in a way that I wouldn't get shot at. Plus I'll take the head off in transport if it's not in the bag.

The hen is next but is on the back burner.
Plus a Tom feels threatened by a strutting Jake and will wonder over to beat him up for being on his turf. So the strutting Jake was the first on the list

I like the strutting jake idea and the overall build quality. That should get ole Mr longbeards fired up! I?d trim up the beard a little ( more jake like) but it probably doesn?t matter

Last edited:
Have not had much time to turkey hunt this year but did make it out this past Saturday. Never had a Tom come in, did see one and 4 jakes that were 400-500 yards away but wouldn't leave their hens. Might could have got them to come in if I didn't have to leave at 9 but still a great morning.
But did have 2 hens come in to the decoys. One came to 10 yards and the one in the video (if it works) came into 14 yards

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwzy6tcBwgf/

that is fun and cool thanks for posting. seems some of the threads lately are going a bit wild. this one is right on the spot. Thank you!

Back