School me on the Remington SP-10

Lawrence Kotchek

So I just bought one, a first year Remington LE serial number gun in really nice shape. Does anyone here shoot one? Is there anything to look for or be concerned about?
My other 10's are double guns, an Ithaca NID magnum gun and 2 older short 10 hammer guns, so an autoloader is a new thing here.
Thanks for any info

Bolt buffers were an issue but when available were easily replaced. I think there was someone turning them out privately once Remington stopped carrying parts.

Like any other gas auto keep that recoil spring tube and spring clean and lightly oiled to keep them running. Worked on one as a favor couple years ago and unfortunately someone had messed up threads on tube so couldn,t remove for cleaning but a thorough flushing from action end and little breakfree clp and it ran again.

I have the SP 10 and two Mag 10's, they are goose killing machines with larger pellets. The springs have all been replaced with Wolff spring kits which improves the reliability and function. Some parts are interchangeable between the two versions, bolt buffers are readily available on eBay although I haven't needed one yet. Other than routine cleaning I only use a Teflon Dry Lube on the piston and shaft it slides on as it needs to move freely. That tip came from a Maryland guy who shot a lot of rounds through these guns and swore by them. These guns are one of my all time favorite, love the solid steel construction and the way the bolt slams shut. A classic waterfowl gun and one of the first truly designed auto loaders built specifically for waterfowling.

Lawrence -

This subject has been discussed here in the past. Most recently last year, I do believe. So there is a wealth of info already here, if you can track it down.

That said. I also have a SP-10, from early production. It has seen a world of use, and a bit of abuse (unintended).

They are notorious for having screw in chokes that are out of alignment. If that is the case it can be aligned properly. Remington used to do it .

With proper use (not a sky buster gun), they may well be the most lethal modern day duck & goose shotgun IMO.

As already stated, get to know the SP-10 well inside and out.

After a full season of use, have a Good gunsmith give it a proper inspection, deep cleaning and any repairs.

Enjoy it, and it will far outlast you if cared for.

Best regards
Vince

Lawrence

I have hunted with a SP-10 for many years. I have four or five different ten gauges . I never had a problem with my SP-10. In fact I gave it to my son to use and he loves it. I don't mess with it as far as breaking it down all the way. I take it to a good gun smith and have it serviced every year. The simple stuff I'll do, but ! on these guns I like leaving it to the Pros. They are a killing machine. Now days! I use a Browning Gold 10 its a much lighter gun to carry around as you get older. Enjoy

Thanks guys, I was reading a bit about some reliability issues on the web and wasn't sure if those were outliers and people who don't take care of their stuff or a real issue. I know Remington abandoned the gun and sold off all of the parts so not much available, just don't know if that matters.
I cant remember the last time I needed parts for an 1100 or 11-87 other than an O ring or two.
It looks like I will need to pattern to at least know it shoots where it is supposed to.
I mostly shoot double guns for clays and pretty much everything else but unless I am in a blind, sneak boats and salt water are not nice to guns.

well I got it apart and replaced the slide extension buffer (the one that was there was crystallized and falling apart), the bolt buffer looked fine so I let it be.
I made it out to my club yesterday and shot 3 rounds of the smallest shot I have #6 2 1/4 oz turkey loads to function test and it all worked fine and shoots to the correct point of impact so the choke tubes are on straight [cool]
All good till fall - a deep clean is still on the table.

Back