Feebees in the peerow

tod osier

Gold Sponsor
I built the stitch and glue pirogue 20 years ago for the marshes of Wisconsin, I only use it for rail these days. It is in the rafters of the barn and I noticed that the Phoebes had taken an interest in it. We were headed out of town last weekend and I noticed the nest, I left the barn doors cracked hoping that they wouldn?t abandon their nest, but worried that I had compromised their nesting

Phoebe on her nest.
X5Fzg9y.jpg

Nest in bow of the pirogue.
s7tsXv9.jpg

We were headed to upstate NY back to the lake where I learned to fish and shot my first ducks. We were there for the post spawn perch bite and wow did it ever work out. I haven?t ever seen yellows in as abundance and of such a nice size as we had for the several days we were there. There were as many fish as really you could want and of great size, if not too many big ones (is that possible?).

Gus and Jen with some nice yellows.
kVQyDDl.jpg

Me with a typical nice one.
6tHbQUb.jpg

Me with probably my personal best.
9JHB7Ei.jpg

Beautiful piles of yellows.
LNeNbv0.jpg

umxNerx.jpg

I spent a lot of time cutting fish every day.
Q18TsnL.jpg

dFQjXC6.jpg

Gus (and I) had a great time sight fishing yellows with a bead head nymph on the tenkara.
5Do5CW1.jpg

jR8VRJO.jpg

2vsuM1P.jpg

As an addition for those gardeners, our first salad of the season, with some deep fried AK salmon from last summer.
90SloZu.jpg

So what's the present status of the bird nest? Your story starts off about discovering the nest, leaving the doors cracked open, concern about the integrity of the brooding. Then you go off on some tangent showing us various photos of personal accomplishments. Don't just leave us hanging, what about the nest? Have the eggs hatched? Have they been abandoned? If hatched, are the babies doing well? Are they growing? Inquiring minds need to know.

OH BTW, nice pics.

Huntindave McCann said:
So what's the present status of the bird nest? Your story starts off about discovering the nest, leaving the doors cracked open, concern about the integrity of the brooding. Then you go off on some tangent showing us various photos of personal accomplishments. Don't just leave us hanging, what about the nest? Have the eggs hatched? Have they been abandoned? If hatched, are the babies doing well? Are they growing? Inquiring minds need to know.

OH BTW, nice pics.

Sorry, bird pics are from today, they are still sitting on the eggs, so all went well.

tod osier said:
Huntindave McCann said:

OH BTW, nice pics.

Sorry, bird pics are from today, they are still sitting on the eggs, so all went well.

Whew, so relieved, good to know. [cool]

That is a nice mess of perch Tod. Don't really get yellow perch here in south jersey, but do get the white perch which taste almost as good.

george w said:
Yum, spring perch. Todd, which lake were you all fishing at?

Yes, fish fries are planned!

We were on Cayuga, east side about midway up if you know the area.

Nice story Tod. I love icefishing upstate NY, having enjoyed many days picking away at the yellows and eyes.

Ducks on Cayuga? There's no ducks on Cayuga, especially not those pesky redheads. [smile]

george w said:
Yum, spring perch. Todd, which lake were you all fishing at?

Hi George, I've been painting some decoys and thinking of you and wanted to thank you for being such an unrepentant asshole in promoting Golden's so many years ago. In my collection of decoys the ones that have held up the best are painted with Golden's, either by me or others. Clearly a vastly superior product. I appreciate you taking the time so many years ago.

SJ Fairbank said:
Nice story Tod. I love icefishing upstate NY, having enjoyed many days picking away at the yellows and eyes.

Ducks on Cayuga? There's no ducks on Cayuga, especially not those pesky redheads. [smile]

I've never hunted where the redheads are, but know the deal. I'd like to do it someday, but it is hard with my folks having a place there and being able to roll out of bed and shoot off the dock (even if the gunning is only so-so).

I don't think there is a better eating fish than yellow perch. Would take that over a walleye almost any day.

If you want to try another way to cook perch (or walleye), here is my personal fav.

Fillet the fish as you have.
Place on top of a sheet of aluminum foil
On top of the fish place a couple of pats of butter, lemon slices, and sprinkle lemon pepper on top. (could also squeeze on some more lemon juice if desired)
Fold foil and wrap loosely
Place on grill and cook till done.

May not be a new recipe to many but it is a great way to cook these fish.

Mark

Huntindave McCann said:
Tod,
Around here, Perch are a close second to Walleyes in being sought after for table fare. Limits are also much more generous for Perch. I'll give you a score of "8" out of 10, for your "Mr. Wilson" impersonation. [whistle]

Good observation, I should have seen it. The fenceposts are even painted on the fish.

Huntindave McCann said:
Tod,
Around here, Perch are a close second to Walleyes in being sought after for table fare. Limits are also much more generous for Perch. I'll give you a score of "8" out of 10, for your "Mr. Wilson" impersonation. [whistle]

Well Dave, after my appearance was criticized a couple weeks ago, I've been wanting to spare everyone the trauma.

Tod,

Nice perch! I cut my teeth on Lake Michigan perch fishing. If I had known Cayuga had perch like that I would have tried harder to get up there to fish.

Thanks for posting!

Tom

greg setter said:
That is a nice mess of perch Tod. Don't really get yellow perch here in south jersey, but do get the white perch which taste almost as good.

We have some good numbers of whites here at home, but the ones closest to he house come from a PCB loaded lake. Fun to catch, but I wouldn?t eat them, unfortunately. Mostly my love of yellow perch is nostalgia, but they sure eat good, too!

Back