Need a new boat fuel tank, what to buy, what to avoid?

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
I have not bought a new tank in quite a few years. My Yamaha came with a tank. For the next boat, I need to buy a new 6 gal tank. Should I just source it through the OB manufacturer, or are there aftermarket generic tanks that are just as good or a better value? OEM is $106, though a generic tank will have the added expense of the correct OB fitting. Anything to obviously avoid?

Last edited:
Moeller tanks seem to be the most popular, based on what I see on the shelves at the marinas. I don't think you could go wrong with a Moeller tank. Shape and location of fittings may be different than OEM, just in case that may affect your application. I don't think in the end you will save much over OEM replacement.
I'd be leery of any tank priced below market average, the low price tank may NOT be compliant with all the latest regulations.

Dave- you really can?t go wrong with the OEM tank but, depending on your application you can get after market tanks that may suit your needs better. I have a small 8hp Evinrude and rarely use a gallon per trip so I use a smaller 3 gallon tank that easily slides under the deck in the bow.

I used all the generic tanks, they're all good enough, The walmart tanks are cheap and as good as the rest, just get the fitting you need.
A few years ago my tank was stolen out of the work skiff, I was in a bind and needed a tank like right now. went to West marine and asked for a tank, $80 bucks?, told the guy I only wanted one, lol
Guy said new regulations drove the price up.
All that to say this....the old tanks work just fine the way they were, around here you can buy yard sale tanks for 5 bucks all day, they work fine.

I'm still a fan of the old metal tanks. I've had too many plastic tanks strip at the fittings and leak. I will say the quality of plastic tanks has seem to gone up in the past decade but still hasn't caught good old Merc or OMC cans. I see them from time to time at estate sales, boat yards, and they are easy to find on ebay.

Back