Sculling boat repairs -- who?

I have a Merrymeeting Bay sculling boat that needs some repairs. Anyone know of a boatbuilder or sculler skilled in repair work? I'd like to find some one in Maine if possible. That's where the boat is. Thanks.

Lots of boat builders in Maine, but not many that specialize in duck boats. Where are you?

Wood or fiberglass? If it's an all glass boat, or if all you need to repair is the glass on a glass-over-wood boat, you can probably get enough information on this forum to do a credible job yourself, if you have time. My introduction here was buying a glass-over-wood sculler that needed some glass repairs, and folks here talked me through a total re-glassing job. Repairing an all-glass boat is even easier, unless the damage is severe.

If you need structural wood repairs, that's a different matter.

Pictures would help. There are some real experts here (not me!) who could help assess what's needed.

Adding: You might want to try a PM to Frank Middleton, a member here. I don't know if Frank is still working on boats for money or what's on his plate these days, but he is a very competent builder who loves sculling boats over in the Camden area.

Last edited:
Jeff, thanks for your response. The boat is glass over wood. Two problems: two punk ribs amidships that need to be replaced and a sculling hole that seems to be set too low for the way in which the boat floats in the water, and by this mean I mean, water comes into the boat through the sculling hole when I'm seated in it. This latter problem may be an issue of weight and balance. I've had it out with s 2 hp outboard ... moves along fine, but I haven't been able to scull with it. Not that I'd know how to anyway, but I'm eager to try and learn. I will also reach out to Frank Middleton.

By the way, I live now in Massachusetts. I have camp in western Maine and hunt Casco Bay and Merrymeeting Bay. Just also bought at Maine-built TDB with a mud motor -- haven't had it out yet. Struck me as a good boat for the MM Bay.
View attachment sculling boat.jpg

Lou Ureneck said:
Jeff, thanks for your response. The boat is glass over wood. Two problems: two punk ribs amidships that need to be replaced and a sculling hole that seems to be set too low for the way in which the boat floats in the water, and by this mean I mean, water comes into the boat through the sculling hole when I'm seated in it. This latter problem may be an issue of weight and balance. I've had it out with s 2 hp outboard ... moves along fine, but I haven't been able to scull with it. Not that I'd know how to anyway, but I'm eager to try and learn. I will also reach out to Frank Middleton.

By the way, I live now in Massachusetts. I have camp in western Maine and hunt Casco Bay and Merrymeeting Bay. Just also bought at Maine-built TDB with a mud motor -- haven't had it out yet. Struck me as a good boat for the MM Bay.

Nice! Your repairs are beyond me, but others here have dealt with such issues.

Jeff, by the way, the Homer painting you have as an icon is one of my favorites. I had it hanging in my home for years. Lou

Lou I would reach out to Jay Sanford. He frequents here a lot and is only over in NY if not him he might know someone

Back