New 10 foot ( Mark Kears) sneakbox update 7-13

jode hillman

New to me 1949 10-6inch cedar hulled sneakbox. Isnt she a Beauty. It is light enough to be easily handle by one guy, and even fits in the back of a pickup.

At some point in the recent past she had a marine ply deck put on in place of her original cedar. That may change if my son wants to put in some work.

Built on split, two piece sawn ribs, with a slightly slabbed side. Atypical for a boat of her vintage. Both in size and construction details.

Happy to add her to the fleet.

49 and initials AD carved into the center hull plank. I thought that was cool

.View attachment 0984BB91-8576-4B29-890C-0B137CA6C175.jpeg
View attachment D1DE5EE8-7715-472D-B1BB-AFE295163485.jpeg
View attachment 0CDFF45C-55BD-4E64-9240-AE5EEE8A1B89.jpeg

Last edited:

Alright Jode -

Where do you find all these classic gunning vessels?

No don't answer...

You appear to have talent for discovery, and recovery that few folks have.

Makes me smile.

Best regards
Vince

Vince Pagliaroli said:
Alright Jode -

Where do you find all these classic gunning vessels?

No don't answer...

You appear to have talent for discovery, and recovery that few folks have.

Makes me smile.

Best regards
Vince

Actually Vince the last 3 found me. I guess when word gets out I like to restore vintage craft, people want thier old boats to be done up right. I just discovered this boat was very likely made by decoy carver/ cabinet maker Mark Kears of Northfeold NJ. It?s always nice to put a name with a fine piece of craftsmanship.

Hi Jode, I too have a 10' Barnagat Bay Sneak Box. Made in 1935 in New Jersey, all cedar. My boat has some of the same features as your boat. You need to get rid of the plywood. I only have 35 mm hard copy photos of my boat.
Jim

Jim Cloninger said:
Hi Jode, I too have a 10' Barnagat Bay Sneak Box. Made in 1935 in New Jersey, all cedar. My boat has some of the same features as your boat. You need to get rid of the plywood. I only have 35 mm hard copy photos of my boat.
Jim

Very cool Jim! I have since found out the boat was most likely made by Mark Kears. A decoy carver and cabinet maker from Northfield NJ( near Atlantic City). The deck will be replaced in due time.

That is one beautiful boat
I love living in the south, but we don't have squat for gunning/decoy/boat building traditions around here.

Michael McCord said:
That is one beautiful boat
I love living in the south, but we don't have squat for gunning/decoy/boat building traditions around here.

Thanks Micheal. Yes this is one of the perks in living near an old gunning Mecca. But I sometimes wonder if the good outweighs the bad!

OMG, Jode, That is so beautiful. If you ever sell it please put me on the list. I love it.Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gary

The boat is amazing....but no need for a trailer has me sold!!! I've often thought of building a sneak that was catered to the dimensions of my truck bed. My next build for sure haha.

Man do I hate trailers!

That's gonna be sweet when you're done! Question however...the fastener spacing doesn't match what you would expect on a planked hull. Have the deck timbers been replaced? Same applies for the transom? Could the plywood have been original?

Bill Embacher said:
The boat is amazing....but no need for a trailer has me sold!!! I've often thought of building a sneak that was catered to the dimensions of my truck bed. My next build for sure haha.

Man do I hate trailers!

Oh yea for sure. 4 wheel drive and Trailerless, opens up many little spots not accessible otherwise.

SJ Fairbank said:
That's gonna be sweet when you're done! Question however...the fastener spacing doesn't match what you would expect on a planked hull. Have the deck timbers been replaced? Same applies for the transom? Could the plywood have been original?

SJ , I noticed the same thing. And both answers are quite possible. I have found the deck beam just forward of the cockpit is a definite replacement. And plywood became widely available after WW 2 so that also is a possibility. Kears was a cabinetmaker as well , so that would enable easy access to such a product.

Either way the plywood itself gave way quite easily when removing the glass, so it was starting to delaminate. I could replace with 1:4 plywood, grooved to look like planking. Decisions!

Last edited:
SJ Fairbank said:

SJ , here is what a layout of 5-1/2 inch plank would be. Pretty centered up if one fastener was used per plank ( 2 per plank on the transom and cockpit timbers) . Who knows for sure.

View attachment 3FE6D0D7-F5E6-46B2-8E41-86A48D77B805.jpeg

Last edited:
Back