Looking Duck Boat Suggestions

Phil Nowack said:
TDB 14, Devlin BBIII, or Devlin Scaup

I'm really leaning towards the TBD 14. I also hunt this body of water, which can really be nasty but I'm mostly in protected bays and routes back to the ramp.

I'm gonna head out to the Tuckerton show to see the specialty boats first hand, but I think a TBD with some plastic fencing and raffia grass
could hide pretty good for Mallards.

How is the TBD14 style boats for driving into cattails. 1 spot I hunt I could drive my 18' Alaskan right into the cattails :)

View attachment Simcoe_79.40W_44.47N.png

Man that boat looks awesome!! Ya that would be about perfect for me! I've almost giving up finding one, been looking for one on and off all summer!

Out of curiosity, how much time do you a lot in the morning for grassing it up?

Last edited:
GregL said:
Man that boat looks awesome!! Ya that would be about perfect for me! I've almost giving up finding one, been looking for one on and off all summer!

Out of curiosity, how much time do you a lot in the morning for grassing it up?

I dont allow any time in the morning for grassing it up. I have Cordura grass loops stapled to the grass rails. I grass at once before the season and Im done.

If Im hunting in an area that has a lot of flotsam, Ill pick that up and pile it on the bow. It takes no more than 10 minutes.

Last edited:
The TDB, slip into cattails as well as anything... I think.

I had a TDB14 knock off. I left my grassed up all year. As I do with my Devlin Scaup. I was always amaze how well the flat bottomed TDB 14 Classic handled rough water. That being said. If I was in the market for a 14' boat. It would be the TDB14 SeaClass or a Devlin BBIII.

First pic is my TDB 14 Classic-ish.. and the others are my 17' Scaup

View attachment D31_1473.JPG
View attachment IMG_20171031_104911676.jpgView attachment IMG_20171015_101718247.jpg
View attachment IMG_20171021_103141729.jpg

View attachment IMG_20171015_101718247.jpg

Last edited:
Phil Nowack said:
The TDB, slip into cattails as well as anything... I think.

I had a TDB14 knock off. I left my grassed up all year. As I do with my Devlin Scaup. I was always amaze how well the flat bottomed TDB 14 Classic handled rough water. That being said. If I was in the market for a 14' boat. It would be the TDB14 SeaClass or a Devlin BBIII.

First pic is my TDB 14 Classic-ish.. and the others are my 17' Scaup

Man those are some great pics! I can't wait to get a rig like these! thanks for the pics!

Last edited:
GregL said:
That would be awesome! We don't see these boats in our area EVER!

The Canadian National Wildfowl Carving Championship will be held sometime in March in Waterloo. Maybe we can try and coordinate a duck boat/gunning block meet up around that. I think I could get at least one other person involved.

Mark Jemison said:
GregL said:
That would be awesome! We don't see these boats in our area EVER!

The Canadian National Wildfowl Carving Championship will be held sometime in March in Waterloo. Maybe we can try and coordinate a duck boat/gunning block meet up around that. I think I could get at least one other person involved.

That would be awesome!

Back