Any displacment hull sneakbox

William Ziegler

I am currently looking to buy a sneak box. I can't seem to find alot of videos of them running but I am trying to see how the handle and how slow is slow lol. So if you have a video you could share of it running I would appreciate it. Specifically I am looking at a estuary or a estuary 2

That's a planning hull sneakbox. Huge difference between a planning hull and displacement hull. My friend has an Estuary, think of a tortoise. its SLOW. Built for rough weather.

I run 2 boats both displacement hulls. They are super stable and yes they are slower than other boats. I don't mind though, if I'm hunting with a buddy he has to slow down to 3/4-2/3ish throttle not to lose me, no big deal. When I'm hunting alone I'm not going that fast through a marsh full of partially submerged obstacles in the dark anyway.

Buy 1 of each then you can compare.

The throttle comparison helps because that was one of my concerns was slowing some of my buddys up to much. The video is a fricke isn't that a semi displacment?

I have a displacement BBSB , I have a semi displacement BBSB
A southbay which is an almost flat bottom and a banks semi V.

The best way I can describe the displacement is it is slow cruise in all conditions. Also setting out decoys the boat rocks more then others.
The semi can be fast but when the water has a chop you will need to go slower then the displacement hull.
the V bottom banks can run fast in all the water I go in but it is not good in shallow water creeks.

One thing to keep in mind is how far you travel on the water and condition of the water .

I did find a video with a estuary and a estuary 2 running together. I posted it for future reference. Thanks for the info everyone. https://drive.google.com/file/d/19v9_rjWAvBAsNmpVOZTyc1C7YuoJ95-3/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by a moderator:
The Fricke is a semi-displacement hull. Will run about 22 mph with a 15 but can slow down when it's sloppy.

Estuaries are slow but tanks.

I don't have any video handy, but I run a Sam Hunt displacement hull. Mine is 12ftx5ft, with a daggerboard trunk, and a half keel. She draws close to a foot, when loaded to hunt, and I shove her with a 15hp Yamaha. Empty, in the Summer, I can get about 13mph, fully loaded closer to 10 or so. But I can go about anywhere I want, but shallow. I played around in a storm in the summer, just to gain some experience where I didn't run the risk of freezing to death, and rode some wild white caps and waves and never felt unsafe. I slowed down and powered through. That is the only reason I went with the 15hp, but have no experience with less motor. I just wanted to know I could power if needed. I break several inches of ice with her, and takes it real well. I did over build, she is a tank, and much heavier that I would do if I was doing it again.

I have a Ron Bauer displaced hull and love it. Super steady boat, fiberglass. I used to have a 9.9 on it but put a 6hp. Not much difference, I'm in no rush. I use it on Devils Lake and area lakes and sloughs. It's made for 2 people but most the time it's me and the dog. I can shove it in about 4-5 inches of water. I'm going to sell it in the near future if your interested.View attachment duck boat building 018.jpgView attachment 20170821_190302.jpg

Willandmydd said:
I am currently looking to buy a sneak box. I can't seem to find alot of videos of them running but I am trying to see how the handle and how slow is slow lol. So if you have a video you could share of it running I would appreciate it. Specifically I am looking at a estuary or a estuary 2

It all depends how far you need to travel by water. I'll often run5-6 miles to a hunt location. It's very time consuming in a displacement Hull.
There are many good planing hull boxes in cedar, fiberglass or even aluminum.
If your not going far ( a mile or less) a displacement boat is fine.

I live about 10 mins from the delaware bay and have a bunch of ramps so my ride isn't very far. I am also about 10 mins from 2 different rivers and a few lakes. I am going to check out a estuary this monday and if it goes well hopefully get one by mid July.

Willandmydd said:
I live about 10 mins from the delaware bay and have a bunch of ramps so my ride isn't very far. I am also about 10 mins from 2 different rivers and a few lakes. I am going to check out a estuary this monday and if it goes well hopefully get one by mid July.

Good luck wish you the best. I hunt fortescue and Maurice river area.

William, If you are going to look at that Estuary in RI you will be able to a dozen or more Sneak Box's from the 1800's to present.
Phil

a displacement hull will only go as fast as the hull speed (1.34 x square root of the Waterline length) will allow adding hp and making a displacement hull "squat" will give the sensation of going faster but its a mathematical certainty your not.
More Hp will help move the hull easier when loaded to the max, but you will still go only as fast as the hull speed.
A planning hull on the other hand has an almost infinite speed range as it rides up and almost above the water as in a rock skipping on the water.
The video is a 12' displacement sneakbox towing another 12' sneakbox with my daughter and son in-law in it and tied to them is an 7.5' pond box.
the average traditional 12 ft Barnegat works best with a 2-3 hp outboard that seems to give the best weigh to power ratio to achieve its hull speed and power to move its max load
View attachment IMG_0779.MOV

I think the boat in question is an Estuary, a displacement hull. If so it will go 10 to 12 mph with a 9.9. It will go 11 to 14 mph with a 15 on it. It all depends on the prop. I had a 9.25 X 10 and it went 14 mph (2 stroke Johnson).
Now there are quit a few of them in NJ with 25's on them, most with the newer 4 stroke Yamaha. They all make that hull speed formula (1.34 x square root of the waterline length) not correct. One guy that I've hunted with has a 25 Eteck on his Estuary and that boat goes 23 mph with 2 dogs and 50 decoys on the front deck.
My boat was only rated for 15 hp. But I just so happen to know that it can be rated for 20 hp but was lowered to 15 because of the weight. David wanted to include your best friend in with his 491 pounds Persons, Motor, and Gear. 15 hp 4 stroke, battery, canvas with frame ( DOG)

So what is the hull speed of an Estuary is it 10 mph?, or 23 mph?
Wish I still had mine.
Phil

I know a few guys whom run estuaries with 25 they have beefed up the motor boards to handle the larger motors I would say they gained some speed but they mainly went over to the 25 to get the bow up in heavy seas

Back