What's on your WORK BENCH - June 2020

Good morning, Kiernan~

Great bird! That bobtail will look great on the water - but your line from the neck down to the chest is sublime!

You should have headlined the July Work Bench (all my recent work is still NDR.....)

All the best,

SJS

Carl and Steve thanks for the kind words and feedback, glad you all like the lines. I am really enjoying starting to make my own blocks and can't wait to hunt over them.

Got a Mallard in the works on the bench at the moment.

George~

Yessir - those are clam tongs. We always took a pair along on the boat - whether we were after Broadbill or Flounder. I think we still have a pair in the loft at my Dad's house on Long Island.

All the best,

SJS

Continuing the sharpie model build, which brings me up to the present. I made a mast step from poplar. It is wedge shaped, with the mast perpendicular to the raking top face of the step. To drill the step correctly, I made a similar wedge to jack up the step to the correct angle, and bored for the mast tenon on the drill press. The table tilts, but it?s easier on a small scale to just cut the wedge. I simulated the bolts that fasten the step to keelson, with some tooth picks, glued into little holes in the top of the step. You?ll never see it, but I also cut limbers from the center of the tenon mortise out to the edges to drain water from under the mast. In the pic below, the step is as yet unsanded. It looks better in the boat!

mast_step2.jpg.1f1bfbf59e272e9f1fe562cdb79a803c.jpg

mast_step3.jpg.2e7ac420326bbfd931e521ca7df8ec10.jpg

The partner was bored out on a similar wedge. I made it a little oversize, and I?ll either drill an exact hole down through the finished deck, or I?ll drill that oversize as well and leather it, or wedge it. Not sure yet which.

mast_partner2.thumb.jpg.8966e8eb97a144208ffed4bfbec9e70e.jpg

Various corner blocks of pine were also made a fitted, and all of the diagonal bracing in the cockpit was fitted. There are braces at the mast, under the washboards, and under the thwart to brace the centerboard trunk. These and the step were all primed and painted, so I believe we are ready for decking!

deck_frame_fin3.jpg.75b325539526f5b3b1111efa23334aa9.jpg

Next installment will be in real time, and I'll continue in the July Workbench thread, if one gets posted. I have some Gustav Stickley style furniture under construction currently as well.
Thanks!
Jim

Back