Another "who made these"...

Rossja

... or any info, please?

I posted this all over other places on web and no answer. I bought a lifetime collection of decoys from the daughter of an elderly hunter down around the Chesapeake area, mostly goose silos, but there were boxes of duck decoys.

I have these two decoys, they appear to be cork but feel much harder (compared to the LL Beans the outside of these feel more like wood or composite). They are much lighter as well and have a line around like hollow decoys (I believe these are hollow). The keels are carved "C.S. HAWKINS 1956". In very good condition, the brown on the decoy is mud, paint is original under.

I bought a lifetime collection of decoys from the daughter of an elderly hunter down around the Chesapeake area, mostly goose silos, but there were boxes of duck decoys.

View attachment 20200703_140003.jpg
View attachment 20200703_135938.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning, Jason~

I agree with George - Herter's Mallard/Black Mallard Model 72 head on a custom body.

View attachment Herters Catalog - Model 72 Mallard and Black Mallard.jpg

As first glance, the body looks like it was made from 2 layers of tan cork (aka white cork, maybe even from Wiley Cork Company).

Or could it be a foam? Back in the 50s, I believe only Styrofoam would have been readily available - used for flotation and dock floats.

Congratulations on your find!

SJS

Back