Trailering Grassed Boats

Rob,

I'm not sure where you hunt out of but if it's NJ/MD/NY/DE the "field green" raffia color I find to be a good mix for early, mid, and late season. I don't think here there is one perfect way to grass a boat. Pretty soon (if I find the time to cut some) I'll be adding some salt hay into the mix. I simply can't do without it. Early season I also bundle the spartina in for some green.

A lot of it has to do with how the grass is attached. I tend to go a little overboard with attaching because I'd rather put the work in up front instead of having to re-attach lost pieces down the road. Even then, I still keep extra raffia on hand to tie in throughout the season and grab hay as needed.

I've had this idea for two years but for the last two years hunting the river here was tough due to high water. I finally got around to finishing the idea this year. My blind is an aluminum frame and I use a camouflaged boat cover as a base on a 12' v-bottom. I zip tied paracord for an attachment point for grassing with raffia. in order to keep from losing the grassing I cover the boat with another boat cover while trailering. If this works the way I hope it works for next year I will "fit" the blind cover to the boat and fasten with snaps. This I hope will give me a dodger so I can worry less about the weather while I'm hunting.

View attachment 1015191706.jpgView attachment boat grass 2.jpgView attachment boat grass 1.jpgView attachment boat cover 2.jpg

Back