Kevlar

zane Every said:
Phil,
Do you think it will save any weight?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

The weight is additive. I planned 2 layers of 10oz glass... I just started to think that this may get more abuse, even though... I think it would have been strong enough without kevlar, but now is the time to do it. $125 of insurance. It will be between the two layers of glass.

I honestly do not understand why it should be sandwiched between layers of glass, vs on the outside. US COMPOSITES and everyone says for it to be. Other than the issues if you sand into it, I don't get it ... but I am doing it.

I honestly do not understand why it should be sandwiched between layers of glass, vs on the outside. US COMPOSITES and everyone says for it to be. Other than the issues if you sand into it, I don't get it ... but I am doing it.

Maybe to rigid or brittle? Will be interesting to see what the Duck Boats "Brain Trust" has to say. I would have thought outside layer also.

zane Every said:

Maybe to rigid or brittle? Will be interesting to see what the Duck Boats "Brain Trust" has to say. I would have thought outside layer also.

Pretty sure over the last 15+ years, the Duck Boats "Brain Trust" has said the same... not sure that I have ever heard reason....

In my understanding and experience, it is the concern of cutting into it. The concern is justified, I cut through and into mine on a pleat /fold that was a little proud and it is a mess to deal with. The trouble is not trivial once you get into it. I?d aim to put it on wet on wet on wet, that would be the best and give the best strength to weight ratio.

On top of accidentally cutting it, it has a bit more fuzz than fiberglass. That fuzz if Kevlar is as a top layer may catch the sander and make a mess, where any random glass fibers would just get cut off.

Less of a problem if you don't sand the boat before painting :).

Last edited:
Phil, it's strength diminishes via UV light exposure duration. IT IS ALSO A "BEAR" TO SAND WHEN USED IN A TOP LAYER. If you laying it as one complete layer it should also stiffen the hull and work as an off-set to blunt force collision penetration. If you opt to lay multiple layers in the bow to provide collision "insurance" lay each layer at a 45 degree angle to the the previous ply.

Last edited:
Just my .02 but I've always done my Kevlar as the initial layer next to the wood, with the glass layers laminated over it. I view the Kevlar as a fail-safe and as others have said it's pretty much impossible to sand, the glass layers over it give you something to work with when it comes to fairing the hull. Never noticed any problems with strength or brittleness.

Cody,

Does it matter if it is against the wood vs in between 2 layers of glass?

Aside from sanding and finishing.. I would still think that one would want the kevlar on the outside... as the FIRST line of defense... not that I have hurt either layer of 10 oz glass on my Scaup. That being said, the Scaup is not supposed to be hitting stuff....

Last edited:
Phil Nowack said:
Cody,

Aside from sanding and finishing.. I would still think that one would want the kevlar on the outside... as the FIRST line of defense... not that I have hurt either layer of 10 oz glass on my Scaup. That being said, the Scaup is not supposed to be hitting stuff....

I put it against my hull and under one layer of 6 ounce glass. People say it is tough to work with, I found it fine to work with. I put the kevlar on and then glass the next day. I would do both wet on wet to do it again just to get the highest kevlar/glass to epoxy ratio. In your case I don't know if I would do 3 layers. 10 and kevlar would be quite a combo. I've been impressed with the 6 oz and kevlar.

I love for you to put it on the outside and let us know how it goes :).

tod osier said:
Phil Nowack said:
Cody,

I put it against my hull and under one layer of 6 ounce glass. People say it is tough to work with, I found it fine to work with. I put the kevlar on and then glass the next day. I would do both wet on wet to do it again just to get the highest kevlar/glass to epoxy ratio. In your case I don't know if I would do 3 layers. 10 and kevlar would be quite a combo. I've been impressed with the 6 oz and kevlar.

I love for you to put it on the outside and let us know how it goes :).

I always believe in going wet on wet. It is sooo much faster and efficient. I think you have less room for error as well.

HA I bet you would like me to be the guinea pig!!!!

I put 2 layers of 6 oz on my Honker... breaking freshwater ice didn't every hurt it... or the FME paint, for that matter... The Scaup has 2 layers of 10 oz... and the same can be said. But with this being a mud boat... I will OVER build this... Is it needed? Probably not.. but it only has 3/4" of Meranti plywood on the flatbottom. so I guess I will be safe... and have 25 oz of glass and kevlar. LOL

How is the pup doing?

Pup is great, he is really a special animal. I need to get some pics up. He is the sweetest and smartest dog we have had, probably more naturally obedient. We are really enjoying him, he is a family dog for sure and is more uniformly attentive to all of us than any of our other dogs have been.

Just a tip on the Kevlar if you get into it, you can't sand your way out of it. Make sure your epoxy is fully cured and then I found using a sharp cabinet scraper or chisel on edge will scrape the fuzz off. I got the fuzz off and then recoated. With 10 ounce (and your general awesomeness) you probably won't break through and have to mess with it..

The Vet. clinic Karen works in has gone to curbside service due to the pandemic. Consequently, she gets to interact with dogs without their owners "attached" w. hen she is doing H and P screens prior one of the vets coming in. For sporting breeds she keeps a drop-down box populated that has her notes on the dog's response to basic commands and their attentiveness as puppies versus pee, poop, jump-up, chew individuals. She had a young chessie in about a week ago that she noticed was absolutely fixated on everything she did. She stopped and gave him a sit hand signal. He dropped his butt immediately. So, she ran him through the drill of voice commands and hand signals for sit, stay, come (she used a voice command, but we teach voice command with a palms open and arms at 45 visual signal to come) in the room prior Ed's entry. He was ten weeks old and rock solid. She was impressed by his focus as well. The rest of our conversation consisted of her describing an "Odey dog" that she had to double leash that was the same breed and 12 weeks old..

Back