Missouri Hunt Recap

This is just so darn cool. A lotto dream would be to have my own private gunning land to cultivate like this. Nothing like getting birds right in the timber, which us NJ folks don't get to experience too often.

Really quite striking, both inside and outside! The stagger stacking really adds to both the practicality as well as the asthetics of the build. Spot welded together? With so much surface area, do you ever consider guy wire tie-downs tor better tornado protection?

Mark(mo) said:
Tod,
Literally played lots of Jenga to get it where I thought it would work. Containers were almost 90% cheaper for the shell of the structure than stick built. A little under $5.00/sq ft.out of pocket, friends and favors saved a bunch along the way too. Finding guys to work on it was the hardest part, lots of improvisation and ?out of the box? thinking along the way! Took down 4 old barns to get wood and tin.

Now I understand, I was interpreting the interior corrugated roof paneling as exterior container wall that was uninsulated.

RL,
All the containers were welded together with 1/2? plate steel then bolted. The bottom containers were then bolted to the footings. Those footings span under both of the bottom containers and are 3 feet wide, 4 feet deep and 18 feet long solid reinforced concrete. Each empty container weighs approx. 8,500 lbs each and the footings approx. 30,000 lbs each. I?ve been on the top floor in 70 mph gusts and didn?t even feel a wiggle. It?s located in the middle of a grove of trees which many are taller than the containers so that dissipates a lot of felt wind too.

Good morning, Eric~

I saved your tale for a few days - wanting to read it carefully and savor both the words and the images. Worth waiting for, indeed!

All the best,

SJS

Back