Crudest Shotgun Ever?

Eric Patterson

Staff member
This hit an auction house near me. Listing says it is a 16 gauge. No mention of when it was made and googling turned up nothing. This is absolutely the crudest shotgun I've ever seen, yet somehow I get the idea it was a production gun. I won't be bidding on it, but there is a P08 Black Widow (Luger) and a Walther P38 in the auction that would be kind of cool to own.

View attachment Crude3.jpg

View attachment Crude1.jpg

View attachment Crude2.jpg

View attachment Crude4.jpg

View attachment Crude5.jpg

Last edited:
If the barrel wasn?t so long I would say it was a poacher?s gun

Good luck on the P38. Great design

That's the first one I've seen, I believe the type are generically called "scrap guns" because they were built out of whatever was laying around. That one is interesting to my eye since the stock looks a little like a paddle. Shoot a bird, paddle out and get him.

Crude?

Not in the least, if anything ingenious in it's day.

Not a "wing shootin' sporting arm". This is a - I AM HUNGRY, and "I'm gonna get me some Food Gun".

Wait for the season? What season, folks gotta eat.

Got a license? Ya need a license ta eat?

The workmanship looks pretty darn good, mabe NY...

my 2 cents

Dani, the gun you found is much more refined, but the designers were on the same wavelength.

You guys have some interesting thoughts. I do believe it is an American gun based on the rest of the auction lots, but Bob has a really interesting theory too. A lot of Civil War, a few Revolutionary War, some WWII, and newer arms are on the block. Anyone looking for a Gatlin gun? :)

I talked to the auctioneer this morning and he said it is two gun collections merged into one auction. Neither gentlemen ever planned on parting with their collections but the prices have really increased in recent years so they decided since they "buy low" it only makes sense to "sell high."

Eric

p.s. Below is a link to the auction.

Civil, Revolutionary & Modern Sportsman Auction (redfieldgroup.com)

Last edited:
I have heard the term "swile gun" used for crude-but-functional shotguns used in Newfoundland for pot hunting and the seal hunt. This is something like what I have always imagined a swile gun would look like.

Last edited:
Back