Decent day, didn't expect it

Jay K

Seems like you have a good day when you least expect it. Snuck out before work Tuesday. Everything wasn't the way I'd like it. I read the wind wrong, tide was wrong, no reports, etc. I had the WMA to myself. Didn't set up in any spot I normally would have wanted to be in due to the wind and tide. However, shot my gun 5x, downed 5 birds. The black duck and gadwall I had to take a marsh walk for, in a spot the commandments say "Thou shall not get out of the boat". After digging through phrags for the big ducks, I decided I was better off going to work than trying to hit the limit.

View attachment 255421234_1807862512730643_8584924413464280117_n.jpg

Last edited:
Some days its better to quit while you are ahead!
Especially when the wind & tide are conspiring against you.

Dave,

Thanks so much. I'm still working towards being a halfway decent puddle duck hunter. This was my first pretty successful hunt.

Carl,

Exactly my thoughts. Not to mention I had a scare earlier in the day. Motor shut down on me. Apparently they don't run so well when you're standing on the fuel line setting decoys.

"Motor shut down on me. Apparently they don't run so well when you're standing on the fuel line setting decoys."

They don't run well when you accidently pull the kill switch and done realize it!

Yeah, there were a surprising number of ducks flying Tuesday and not a lot of guys out. Of course the flip side of all this is, based on Tuesday I was excited to get out with high hopes this morning......... which resulted in the slow day when you expect a good day. [crazy]

Christoph said:
Yeah, there were a surprising number of ducks flying Tuesday and not a lot of guys out. Of course the flip side of all this is, based on Tuesday I was excited to get out with high hopes this morning......... which resulted in the slow day when you expect a good day. [crazy]

I had 0 other hunters. I typically don't see anyone hunting there during the week. It literally didn't come alive until 7am or so when the tide began to switch.

Jay K said:
I had the WMA to myself.

Always makes me worry I read the regs wrong and am hunting on the wrong day.

Glad to see you had such a great day though!

Dani said:
Jay K said:
I had the WMA to myself.

Always makes me worry I read the regs wrong and am hunting on the wrong day.

Glad to see you had such a great day though!

Same here! The area I was hunting Tuesday opened a week ago. I still had that lonely, hope I didn't screw up feeling, until I heard a couple volleys from afar and realized it was opening day in another zone two miles away. Missed it! DOH!

Back