What's on your workbench December 2021

george w said:
FUNKY NEAT POSES. Have you f\given them sufficient ballast so they float as good as they look?

George
They floated nice. The keels are made of cumaru wood
Very heavy and dense wood, if they were oak it would take 2.5-3 to equal the same weight.
The bill on the RBM is also cumaru it's so hard a rolled the edge on a brand new knotts knife, then I tried the rotary bits the teeth were breaking off.

View attachment BC120A77-37CD-4F1B-9D5C-3139A8111DCE.jpegView attachment 7C44080D-38E5-493C-B5FF-398340C03B7F.jpeg

Patrick, Very unique style for sure. There is no mistaking your style. I would call it floating sculpture. Two thumbs up.

Tom

Wow, I love your style! Those birds have class.
Will they be hunted?

Good morning, Patrick~

What a surprise and thrill to see your latest! Truly wonderful work!

Here are a few From the Bench of George Williams:

A pair of Blacks:

View attachment G Williams - Black Duck pair.jpg

A Speckled Teal:

View attachment G Williams - Speckled Teal.jpg

I just completed another "spa treatment" on another South Bay Duckboat - and hauled it down to Long Island on Tuesday. I'll do a separate post on it when I have more time.

View attachment On trailer 2 scrambled.JPG

I returned early Wednesday morning to complete 2 rigs of Herters Model 63s - to go back to work in Iowa. These Mallards and Gadwalls are all of the original style - flat bottoms and brass hardware.

View attachment Hansen Mallards and Gadwall.JPG

All of these birds were coated - epoxy with ground walnut shells on the bodies and fine sawdust on the heads. Everything gets primed with flat oils then top-coated with latex. These bills got gloss spar varnish for protection - because I have had trouble getting satin spar varnish recently.

View attachment Hansen Mallars - closeup.JPG

Herters Bluebill heads on Mallard/Black bodies serve for GWT...

View attachment Heltibridle GWT.JPG

...and for Wigeon.

View attachment Heltibridle Wigeon A.JPG

Now out to the shop to finish the pair of Waveriders.

All the best,

SJS

Just finished the decoys I present annually to the South Shore Waterfowlers Association executive board. They contribute a lot of their time to the organization and is it just a way of saying thank you. This year I did Buffleheads from my gunning pattern.

View attachment IMG_1041.jpg

Ben,

Ya did good. Your mom will love it, and it shall become a family heirloom.

If Van Gogh had ever painted a John Deere combine working, this would be pretty darn close (yellow & green) feel good colors.

Makes me Smile big time.

Best regards
Vince

Back