NDR: In this day and age of social media...

Eric,
I sometimes get a chuckle when shopping for something that is "new to me". The sales rep will point out a few features using meaningless catch words and trade phrases. Then ask me if I have any questions.
At that point in time, I inform him I don't know enough about the product yet to ASK any intelligent questions.

I am grateful, that a person, given the drive to do so, can usually educate himself thru the internet. Which makes sorting thru the BS spewed by an uneducated salesman easier nowadays.

Of course, if you want an expert opinion on brain surgery, just ask, I'm almost never ever wrong. [whistle] I thought I was wrong once but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you know how the rest goes.[;)]

Something old and something new. While these concepts are timeless, they are accentuated with social media. There is a wide swath of society that is unwilling to accept anything outside of the orthodoxy of whatever group/philosophy they believe in. Free thinking is not celebrated. Skepticism is healthy for society, but is often castigated. And today, it is increasingly censored. And there are many people that cheer that.

I feel bad for younger people today, they have no idea of the freedoms that I have had both growing up and still enjoy today, because I am unwilling to cede them to others, yet many do because they believe they will have a better life with less of them. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Ignorance will make people feel better sometimes, but will never set them free. No one knows everything, but many think or claim they do. And many just manipulate others, but that's because others allow themselves to be manipulated.

There are very few absolutes, and we should always go forward knowing that, but still search for them. As we've all heard, it's the journey, not the destination. Always be on a journey somewhere, you will learn more.

Greg, I sure enjoyed reading what you had to say. In particular, I zeroed in on the last paragraph. I looked at it and boiled it down to the life I have led for the past 80+ years and then began thinking of the things I still want to do. The first one was "I wonder when I will shoot my first duck during our regular season?" Life is Good
Allan

greg setter said:
Something old and something new. While these concepts are timeless, they are accentuated with social media. There is a wide swath of society that is unwilling to accept anything outside of the orthodoxy of whatever group/philosophy they believe in. Free thinking is not celebrated. Skepticism is healthy for society, but is often castigated. And today, it is increasingly censored. And there are many people that cheer that.

Yup....I would agree with this....I learned long ago to ask WHY? And that is looked poorly upon these days by so many people, including many employers. "Because I said so" seems to be what rules the world these days and to ask "why" is to be branded a trouble maker or malcontent.

Asking "why" is not taught much anymore it seems.....so it's not a surprise that people are unwilling to step out of their little bubble and go one step further to educate themselves or try to find differing opinions about something to try to form their own educated opinion.

The video Eric posted makes perfect sense to me.....

Back