Whoops

Pete McMiller

Been on the Texas gulf coast since Nov 1st. - mainly flyfishing Redfish. The past month I see Whooping Cranes most days. Thought it strange to see them grazing on the flats until I learned they love blue crabs as much as we do.

https://youtu.be/Nm9fwhdJths

Nope, I see very few ducks while out fishing though I understand there are a lot more birds out around the barrier islands. Plus, it's like $315 for a NR annual license .

WOW, that's steep!

Way back in the day, the DHBP got together for a couple of trips to Rockport, and we used to have a few guys that primarily hunted that area.
Great area for redheads, greater scaup and pintails. Go inland and you get snows & specklebellies.

Apparently "used to be a great place ". From my understanding Hurricane Harvey in August 2017 totally scoured St Charles Bay (where I'm at) and it still hasn't recovered. I've seen rafts of a thousand Redheads near the Aransas Pass Causeway but only a couple here. Oddly, seeing a lot of Buffies and even GE.

It's been a real learning experience. My 1st year here I only had waders and managed to get a 25". 2nd year I had a kayak and caught maybe 200 Speckled Trout but only a few Reds and those were with a spinning rod. This year I have a Solo Skiff and able to go further and stand up to see/cast to fish - a game changer for sure.

Bummer. Same thing happened in upper Mobile Bay during Ivan. Took 6 years to recover.
Buffies and GE eat invertebt so not surprising they are still there.

Pete, I hope you are having a great time. I wish you nothing but the best and I know you are. Has to be a ton of fun to be using a fly rod down there.
Allan

Last edited:
Back