August what's on your workbench

Patrick

Outstanding!

My workbench, actually the shop, has been busy the past couple of weekends building duck blinds. We are making two, maybe three, to put on private property near the Tennessee River and Flint River tributary. The first weekend we built two platforms. Last weekend we framed the blind and attached it to the platform. I'll have to take more pictures. It was raining hard yesterday so I didn't take pictures of the first blind installed but will get some this coming weekend when we are back out there.

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

Timber hole location not far from Flint River. 16' x 6'

IMG_2447.jpg

Field/Creek blind right off TN River. 12' x 5'

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

Framing the field blind at the shop. She's going to have ports ideal for gunning from.

More to come!

Last edited:
Might have to make a trip up to help test them out this winter!

Eric the blind looks good . Always easier to build it in the shop than on site and rely on chainsaw carpentry. While it's inside and have access to every tool imaginable , i can think of a couple of extras that are nice to have .
Cut some notches for gun barrels in the front wall 2x4
put in a shelf (2x4 cripple)at each station under the top 2x4.Good spot to set a coffee cup and a bow of shells
add some coat hooks to hang duck straps
I put a dog box on all the fixed blinds and a dog door so he can hand you the dead birds
I cover the plywood roof with a roll of ice and water shield and then a couple of piece of old barn tin
random thoughts

I really like the layout of the blind plus the base being high and dry. Looks like you could heat it easily as well. Would love to build something like that but we hunt public land on Long Island. I am planning a base similar to what you built but setting up a Tanglefree panel blind when we hunt it.

Good morning, Richard~

Gorgeous vessel! We Great South Bay boys have a soft spot for garveys. The first boat I bought was a 16-foot garvey for clamming.

Have you had her under canvas yet?

All the best,

SJS

Good morning, Patrick~

Your style always astounds - great work!

You sure have made the chips fly since you first picked up a knife - not that long ago.

Here is some work From the bench of George Williams:

1 - GWilliams - Bluewings.jpg

BTW: I have been flat-out with family stuff - all good! - for the past 2 months. I'll catch up in a separate post.

All the best,

SJS

More progress this weekend on the blinds. As of today both blinds have been assembled in the field and sheet metal attached. We went with sheet metal since we had it on hand and it would help keep the overall cost down. Basically all we have now is to add hog panels for camo attachment, paint, attach vinyl door strips, and camo with oak and cedar limbs in a few months. I must say, both blinds are quite comfortable and geared for shooting out front and to the sides. With a good camo job we will be very well hid.

The first group of pictures are of the 5x12 four man blind. This blind is right off the Tennessee River and sits on a creek adjacent to an ag field that floods each winter. If you look close you can see our millet food plot on the left side of the last picture.

IMG_4591.JPG

Img_4592.jpg

IMG_4594.JPG

Img_4598.jpg

IMG_4597.JPG

This group of pictures are of the 6x16 six man blind. This blind sits in a flooded timber area not far from the Flint River.

IMG_4608.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG

Img_4601.jpg

IMG_4602.JPG

IMG_4603.JPG

Last edited:
Eric,

If you need someone to do a daily check on those, let me know what you are willing to pay, I may be available. [cool]

Huntindave McCann said:
Eric,

If you need someone to do a daily check on those, let me know what you are willing to pay, I may be available. [cool]

Dave, if only I owned the property I'd have a duckboats.net weekend and we'd have a blast. As it is I'm a fortunate guest who has been given a lot of freedom to hunt with my son and a couple other volunteers. The dollar value on this real estate is quite high. Just last month some of the land next to us went for $12,000 and acre and it hasn't been developed for hunting. Nothing but ag fields with some potential. I've come to the conclusion converting row crop land to hunting land is a good investment. Quality hunting ground around here is much more valuable than crop land.

Eric

Good morning, Eric~

Neat projects!

I like that each gunner has their own "bay" - much safer than a single wide space.

Do you put a shelf/shelves on the forward wall - for shells, coffee, gloves, binoculars?

Also, I usually cut notches on the wall - either in edge of shelf or the top board - to keep gun barrels in place.

All the best,

SJS

Eric,

That's some blind!! Hope you get all the right conditions all season long.

This is a past project, but it's the piece that was accepted into the Springfield Art Museum's annual juried exhibit for this summer.
I didn't attend the opening reception, as I was on my way to upstate NY for a week of hiking and fishing with some old friends.

Took a detour on my drive back home to stop at the museum and see the entire exhibit. It will run until October 2nd.

IMGP8536 (3).JPG

IMGP8533 (2).JPG

IMGP6699 (3).JPG

Last edited:
All

Appreciate the positive comments. Yes, there are going to be shelves. If you look at one of the pictures of the 6x16 you can actually see a shelf already in place. The other blind will get one too. I'll have to work out a way to rest the gun as well. Might whip something up on the bandsaw.

Eric

Back