Getting rid of gas smell solution

Mark W

So I did it again. Second time and it just plain stinks (literally and figuratively). Had the gas can on the seat in the boat and was just driving over to my parents to put it away until the season opener (parents live 1/3 mile away). Was proud of myself as I had all boats ready to go and most everything else a week and a half before the opener.

Backed the boat into my parents third stall and went home. 20 minutes later I get a call from my Dad saying they had a strong gas smell in their garage. I knew instantly the gas can had fallen off the seat and was leaking gas out the cap vent. Sure enough, got there and this is what happened. Probably 4 gallons of gas had leaked out. just painted the boat floor and much of the rafia blind material rest on the floor as well.

Got the gas out and naturally everything stunk. Lots or water was washed through the boat to dilute the remaining tiny amount I could get out and then i started taking things out of the boat that got gas on them.

Went online and found people had sprayed vinegar on items that had gas spilled on them (fabric type of materials). Got out a bottle of vinegar and sprayed it on the rafia, the gas tank cover and the engine cam cover and set outside to air out for a day. There is still a faint smell of gas on these items but it is more than tolerable. Smell of vinegar is also present but very slight.

Figured I'd pass this along in case anyone else has the same issue.

Boat floor got painted again yesterday. Should be good to go - again.

Mark

Go electric - nope. Got the electric ice auger and a whole slew of yard tools but not something that may. E needed to save a life.

Mark thanks for the tip. I am sure I will need that info one day too. Sorry for all your hassle but, I was thinking about how something like that could be much worse than it was.

Back