long line clips and tarred line

Chris Keppler

I am looking at buying some long line clips and have the option of swivel or no swivel. How important are swivels on the clip? I also am thinking of making my own tarred lines. I can get 100 feet pieces of braided 3/16 rope, I know some people like 1/4 or even 5/16 but would the 3/16 work?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris get your snaps at SNL Corp in Sebastian FL 772-589-3087 or 800-330-3087 they're about $40/100 with a swivel and your tarred line from Mempis Net and Twine 901-458-2656. Get #120 tarred line its all we use. Keep away from any of they various decoy supply houses the cost is more than double.

Chris get your snaps at SNL Corp in Sebastian FL 772-589-3087 or 800-330-3087 they're about $40/100 with a swivel and your tarred line from Mempis Net and Twine 901-458-2656. Get #120 tarred line its all we use. Keep away from any of they various decoy supply houses the cost is more than double.

Capt,
Not nice to bad mouth those "various decoy supply houses" as that's what keeps this industry going....like us for one: www.eallendecoys.com

We used to make up mother lines and stock clips (often stocked 10,000 at a time but since everyone has gone "wholesale" on their purchases.........it's not worth us doing that equip anymore. Follow the logic down the path and see where it ends.
Just MHO,
Lou

Chris,
When I started out I got a few clips without the swivels. Then when I started to get serious about diver hunting I ordered 100 and they had the swivels. I quickly discovered that I hated the swivels and cut them all off. For me the swivels just made it harder and slower to handle the decoys and stack them in the leaf bags. I leave all my decoys on the main line and use a stiff diamond braid for that main line.

I guess this thread is going to show that each or us find what works for us and often times its different then how others do it.

The only time I have seen tared line it was from a decoy supply company and I did not care for it. It lacked the stiffness of the diamond braid I use. I would be interested to hear from others if that is always the case with it and if so do they leave the decoys attached to the mainline with it?

I would use Doctari Long Lines. They have everything you would need. You can buy everything in one shot and it ia all good stuff.

http://www.doctarilonglines.com/

Like Lou stated I like to support the industry, or if you have a local commercial fishing supply shop near you??? you might want to support your local area which would be nice as well. Me, I do both.

Chris D.

I tar my own braided 3/16" nylon lines. They come out nice and stiff and the clips grab onto them just fine. I leave the decoys clipped onto the main line and stack the whole assembly in plastic totes.

Thanks for all the reply's. I was actually looking at getting my clips at SNL along with the "texas rig" dropper lines for my puddle ducks and droppers for my long lines. As for a source for tarred line i have only found it in 2lb or less spools and thats not very much line. I will check out the other suggestions on the line source.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Chris

Capt,
Not nice to bad mouth those "various decoy supply houses" as that's what keeps this industry going....like us for one: http://www.eallendecoys.com

We used to make up mother lines and stock clips (often stocked 10,000 at a time but since everyone has gone "wholesale" on their purchases.........it's not worth us doing that equip anymore. Follow the logic down the path and see where it ends.
Just MHO,
Lou Lou, I'm not looking to cause any problems , Just looking to save a hunter some money. The term "Long Line " is a method of fishing. Along with guiding in the winter I fish for a living. So its a natural that I would know where to buy tackle at the least expensive place to buy tackle, which is what we are doing when you purchace LONG LINE CLIPS and TARRED LINE. Hunters have mearly adapted a method of fishing to their hunting needs. People can buy thing anywhere they want, I see fishermen walk into marinas here in Montauk and pay double list price all the time. It dosen't bother me in the least, but if I can help a beginner out, I'm always willing.

Capt,
Not nice to bad mouth those "various decoy supply houses" as that's what keeps this industry going....like us for one: http://www.eallendecoys.com

Just MHO,
Lou Lou, I'm not looking to cause any problems , Just looking to save a hunter some money. The term "Long Line " is a method of fishing. Along with guiding in the winter I fish for a living. So its a natural that I would know where to buy tackle at the least expensive place to buy tackle, which is what we are doing when you purchace LONG LINE CLIPS and TARRED LINE. Hunters have mearly adapted a method of fishing to their hunting needs. People can buy thing anywhere they want, I see fishermen walk into marinas here in Montauk and pay double list price all the time. It dosen't bother me in the least, but if I can help a beginner out, I'm always willing.

Lou,

I'm all for supporting suppliers that provide dedicated waterfowling gear and unique product lines. However, when all they are doing is reselling the same stuff that you can buy direct with a 2-3-4 X mark up - I'll pass and I want everyone else to know how to buy direct. This forum has always been about guys doing ti themselves, don't try to set a tone here that it isn't OK to go out and buy from whomever offers the best combination of service and value.

T

Chris,

I probably have 150 decoys rigged with large long line clips. NO SWIVELS - they're not needed and a PITA. For long line I use 1/4" diamond braid nylon from Decoy Rigs in Indiana. Bob has ads in all the magazines but doesn't have a web site. Yep, the line is a bit more expensive but it is real stiff and died olive green/brown. Why would anyone want to use line that gets tar all over your hands when you use it?

Call Bob at Decoy Rigs. They will send you a catalog along with sample of their line - Free. (219) 659-8371

I purchased my first long line setup from Doctari and since have purchased 120 tarred twine from Atlantic Gulf and some other place. I can't remember which it is now. As I was going through my gear this week getting ready for the opener I noticed that the stuff i got from Doctari has remained stiff where the other twine I purchased has lightened in color and lost a lot of it's stiffness. The last time I wanted to purchase twine I emailed Doctari twice to see if I could get it in bulk instead of precut lengths and I never received a response. I ended up buying from a commercial fishing place online and wish I had made another attempt to contact Doctari. My point being the quality of tarred twine varies. I would be interested in making my own but have no clue how. I have purchased the majority of my clips from Doctari and usuallty get something else with the order trying to make it as much one stop shopping as I can.

I've been using Memphis for a long time. As Jack said why pay more when they are available on line. I like the swivels and short lines. I too support my local guy, but a large savings adds up to more shells.
Happy hunting.

Chris,
Im with pete on the no swivel clips.

I use the smaller cod size clips because they work where I hunt and I have no problem working them with the blue gloves we use on the water here all winter.

I dont hunt a lot of tide or current so I feel the smaller clips are less of a show under the water, if that even matters.

I work with my hands all week so a little black tar dosn't bother me at all, and as a matter of fact it kind of reminds me of what it must have been like to try to scratch out a living filling a banks dory full of cod or haddock with a tub trawl and a pair of oars with a sail stowed if the wind picked up on a frozen January day back in 1905. But thats just me.

Now Scott F would tell you to tie um on like the real deal old time high liners and skip the clips all together.

I'll second Decoy Rigs. I was so impressed with the quality of there line's that I ended up re-rigging16 doz. decoys this summer.

I'll also second Doctari, I have 4 doz divers on their long lines.

You cann't go wrong with either.

Tarred line shouldn't rub off, if it does, it wasn't done right. It should also stiffen your line, to a point. A real soft lay line is easy on your hands but probably won't have enough body to it, even with tarring. Try sinking pot warp if you want cheaper then Nylon, 1/4" is enough.
You don't need the swivels, in fact you don't need the clips either if you fasten directly to the main line, but most folks seem to have a problem with that and prefer snapping the decoys on separately. I found long drops on the clips a complete pain in the tukus.
Bottom line, until you DO it, you won't know what works best for you, if you try someone's advice and don't like it, change it, nothing's written in stone.

Just as a update i went with SNL decoy rigs for all my puddlers rigged in the "texas rig" style. Got to say i love this set up, very fast and no tangles. I am also using the 400lb mono for my diver droppers. I also ordered 5" clips with no swivel from SNL partly due to the fact that when i checked Doctari last week to order them they would not be shipping for a couple weeks. I still need to decide on my mother lines but am leaning towards tarring my own lines. Thanks again for all the advice.

Chris

Back