Anyone wear float coats?

Steve Sanford

All~

Rich Geminski's post about the importance of wearing a life vest was timely for me because I have been thinking about getting a float coat for next season. I had been planning to say that "I used to have one" - but I just came across it in a box of old gunning clothes this afternoon. I have a Stearns that my wife bought me for Christmas when my kids were little. I used to wear it while gunning as well as while under way. (Surprisingly, it still seems serviceable - foam is not brittle or crumbly.)

I have conventional life vests - which I wear while under way and while gunning on float trips. I also bought an inflatable (with the pull cord, not the automatic) a couple of years ago but have yet to even charge it.

What do you use?

Thanks.

SJS

Hi Steve,
Sterns float coats........always. We bought several sets and then we did a bunch of field testing for Sterns and ...got more, of course. I ran a lot of marsh hunts as a guide and wouldn't venture out without a float coat......on. I wore it until the boat was on the trailer.
We had several sets of both coats and float pants.
I also wear one when layout hunting as well.
Lou

Last edited:
I wear a standard life vest under power. A float coat is on the top of my list for next season and after looking over the Onyx, Sterns and Mustang, I am partial without having any in my hand to the Sterns. Not a fan of hoods unless it is miserable out and when the situation warrants a hood I would prefer my float coat to have one otherwise it will be an excuse not to wear it and the whole point is to wear it the entire time I am on or near the water.

Great post Steve as improving my personal safety on or near the water is top on my list since I am always alone. Thanks Lou for the vote of confidence on the Sterns.

Steve, I've thought of float coats, just haven't looked at them yet. Curious of the operational range of motion to work long lines and such. I currently wear a shooting a PFD with emergency whistle, dive knife and floating VHF radio that are all attached to the vest. It works well for my daily applications on the boat and is manageable enough to gun with and paddle a kayak too. Will eventually look at the coats though.

I work the water all year long. We have Mustang jackets and bibs. They make several different quality sets. The less expensive stuff is actually more supple to work in. The bibs are nice and all of it is fairly waterproof...but the material on the outer shell can be pretty noisy when it gets cold...the foam can also get fairly stiff but once you warm the guts up, it loosens up. The last set I got was olive in color...ballistic nylon...and I imagine it probably reflects UV rays pretty good. They also have reflective stripes on them. They fit well enough and it isn't hard to work out of them once they do get some body warmth in them. They are very warm...lots of times we end up unzipping them while working.
I'd like to hear if anyone is using the Onyx...it is difficult to find camo float coats.

Bass Pro is clearing out or was last week the Mustang Float Coat in camo but it is long and will not work with waders for me at least. Nice part about solid color Mustang coats is the solas tape as if you need the coat for its intended use and search and rescue is needed camo makes it hard to find. Such was the case with the survivor of recent duck hunt in my home town that resulted in two deaths. The Coast Guard said they had a hard time finding the survivor because of his camo.

I have the mustang in orange and the onyx in camo. For me foam coat are to bulky for gunning I do not need another inch added to my clothing, But not bad for motoring. Most days while gunning I wear the Columbia liner only, if its real windy or raining I will wear the shell.

Almost all our hunters at the lodge I work at (AK) wear them when we go for jetboat rides. We tell them they're warm, so they throw them on. We keep a doz. or so in various sizes on hand. Doesn't hurt. No complaints.
-

I started wearing a Mustang vest under my Columbia parka this year. It is very comfortable and adds a layer for warmth but I'm still trying to get used to shooting while wearing it. I would prefer to leave it on at all times but am struggling getting used to shouldering the gun with an added layer(1"). I always seem to catch the stock on my coat before the gun is mounted.

Hey guys...haven't posted in a while (years). Work....kids...gunning. But wanted to chime in here. Work on the water year round including taking hunting parties. Best experience I ever had was doing a cold water survival class where we got to try different products IN THE WATER. By far the best was the old fashioned "horse collar" vests...uncomfortable to work in but not only floated well but rolled you over if unconscious. Auto inflating mustang worked really well as well (key is adjusting properly before inflated...worth a cartridge to try this out!!!). Mustang and Sterns float coats were by far the most inferior. Nice and comfortable to work in, but floated you low and NOT self-righted in any chop or swell...."beavertail" snapped through crotch helped with stearns. If you are in waders and gunning clothes-- a float coat is a minimal help. Many folks will argue the point, but put one on and jump off the dock with good friends next to you to help out....if your experience is different than mine then I stand corrected. Just felt I needed to share that experience...BE SAFE out there boys...and gals. Don't want the next generation missing our experience! Cheers, PG

Steve,

I wear an Onyx inflatable until the temps get to the freezing mark. I'm not sure that Co2 will charge properly in those temps so I wear a Stearns float coat in the later season. The coat is going on 15 years old and has become a little to snug so I'll be investing in an Onyx float coat before next season.

P. G.~

Thanks for this information.

I am curious whether your tests used neoprene waders. My colleagues have water-tested the combination of float coats with neoprenes and were more than satisfied. I have been assuming that my 5mm "farmer John"-style neoprenes would give me plenty of buoyancy and that the vest or float coat would keep me rightside up.

Your thoughts?

All the best,

SJS

Hello Steve...no to the waders. We were training for work and tried to have on the clothes we'd normally be in while working on small workboats. Thanks for the feedback from others who have done the waders in combo.

The float coats I've tried floated my entire torso...that is, I didn't sink. But my head rode very low to the water...the flotation is spread over a fairly large area. A 1-2' chop would smack me in the face almost every time without me physically exerting some level of effort to avoid it. That can become exhausting quickly in cold water. A horse collar style inflatable really rode the waves and forced my face up without me exerting effort. The old style uncomfortable horse collars actually gave my head the most free board. They also turn you over if you are unconscious...I guess because all the flotation is so concentrated around the head/neck area. For all, proper fit was crucial.

Anyways...that's my experience. Love reading what others have said so far. This is a great discussion! When I was younger, I never wore flotation...bulletproof. But with age and having some eye opening experiences (and learning from others) I now wear something on every trip. I guess I should also mention that my comments and experience are with open water in Chesapeake Bay and ocean. Other smaller bodies of water/situations might lead to different conclusions. Thanks for starting such a pertinent discussion! PG

A float coat is on my wish list, although as a big guy (size 56 in a sportjacket) I am concerned about one big enough to provide mobility.

I will add that I used to be in the "wear a life jacket in the boat and take it off while hunting ashore" camp.

A scary experience this year has pushed me to the kind of life jacket Troy showed and keeping it on anytime I am even close to water. Cold day in the November salt marsh, and I slipped on some freshwater ice where I was expecting salt slushy mud. I ended up sliding down the bank and into about 6 feet of water. Fortunately I had not yet taken off my lifejacket, and wearing it over waders floated me high enough, combined with it's compressing my wader tops, that I barely got wet.

Without the lifejacket, at best I'd have been soaked and struggling in 6 feet of water on a cold day with a mile plus paddle back to my truck. With it, I wormed back ashore and continued my hunt.

Steve great post, lots of input from the guys. You have me thinking about the float coat. Will have to take a look at them next trip to the store. I'm also a big guy and thinking about shouldering the gun. Any input guys that use them? Laying in the boat and shouldering is a little difficult.
I use the inflatable pfd, only fell into 2' of water, but still got wet. Gonna be more careful from now on, missed the falling tide for brant...

I wore a floater coat for a few seasons back in the mid 90s but found it bulky, too hot and damp (not breathable) and hard to shoot in. I switched to a hunting pfd in camo that I often forget I have on. I have a whistle and strobe attached and keep the floating vhf radio in the pocket. The strobe I use is found at the link below and I use a Fox 40 whistle so I don't worry about the pea freezing.
I am aware that it is harder for searchers to find you when you are in camo but I have to note that the best safety device is the one you use. I can't see myself hunting ducks in high visibility orange.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=108624&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50469&subdeptNum=50494&classNum=50501

While wear neoprene waders and a float coat, boat flipped on me, long story short, they saved my life! I've had the float coat for more than 20 years and it's as good today as the day I bought it.
Charlie

Mustang Survival integrity deluxe bomber jacket in brown- I always wear it underway in the dark, but usually do not hunt with it on. A big plus is it is warm and breaks the wind. Definitely recommend them.

-Bill

Back