Anyone wear float coats?

Some great content to this post. Certainly has me thinking about additional precautionary measures I can include for next season in addition to the float coat. Thanks Jeff for the inclusion of your safety items, the whistle, radio and strobe, all items I will include with my float coat for next season.

One item I would like to see discussed more and perhaps a topic for another post is the pros and cons of those that wear float coats have with the brand they use.

I have had a float coat since the early 1980's. The first one was totally inflexible when the weather was cold. The new ones are much better. I only wear mine when conditions are rough. I did wear it last month when I had to drive my ATV across the ice to get it off our duck club island. I don't think we have had ice like that since 1989.

P. G.~

Thanks for this information.

I am curious whether your tests used neoprene waders. My colleagues have water-tested the combination of float coats with neoprenes and were more than satisfied. I have been assuming that my 5mm "farmer John"-style neoprenes would give me plenty of buoyancy and that the vest or float coat would keep me rightside up.

Your thoughts?

All the best,

SJS

Contrary to a couple notes above, 5 mil neoprene waders work very well at keeping you afloat. I've tested them several times. Try diving in a wet suit...same idea. ;)
We were at the pool at Westlake several years ago and Jeff Coates jumped into the water with his waders on and couldn't get himself under water. He floated like a cork.
Just MHO.
Lou

While operating my boat I wear a safety yellow Mustang coat that has more reflective tape than highway workers safety vests. I stopped wearing camo life vests about 10 years ago when I experienced a circumstance when I had an outboard motor die while hunting and the USCG sent a safe boat to tow me in to port. Despite being in cellphone contact with the boat crew 300 yards away with a clear line of sight over open water, they could not see me and my partner while we stood on shore wearing camo life vests with attached flashing strobes. I told them exactly where we were and the Coasties said that we blended in so well we were invisible. Then about fours ago a local guy piloting a 65 foot sailboat in my home waters got knocked overboard and the Coasties searched for his body for three days before they found him. I made the decision to get the bright coat so if I every go down that they'll at least be able to find my body. Obviously I don't hunt with it on because it is so bright.

Yes there are big differences between classes of PFDs. Years ago I took an agency required boat operators course and we jumped in the pool with everything from gumby suits to just neoprene waders. All of them float you in different body attitudes. I think everyone should try jumping in a pool with everything from Type 1 (offshore, self-righting), to type III (typical comfy PFD) to float coats and inflatables by themselves or in combination with waders or even just neoprene waders. I guarantee that you will learn from the experience and that you'll make a better informed decision about how yo go boating.

Many good points made here on the topic of float coats. I have bought three of them for me and my sons. A camo Stearns coat, an olive Mustang bomber jacket, and a camo Onyx jacket. We wear them all the time, they are plenty warm and therefore I haven't had to spend money on hunting parkas. Although we do shoot with them on (layout boat included), they sometimes seem a little stiff. However I don't think it is worse than a life vest/parka combination. The nice thing is that we have them on all the time. The different types of PFD's may float you better, but they will not help if you're not wearing them. I haven't hunted out of the boat alone in quite some time, so having a buddy there to help should you fall in is an added measure of safety.

I prefer the Mustang jacket style to the longer Stearns coat as it gives better mobility. I always end up sitting on my coattails with the Stearns. I haven't worn the Onyx as it is smaller for the kids.

All~

Rich Geminski's post about the importance of wearing a life vest was timely for me because I have been thinking about getting a float coat for next season. I had been planning to say that "I used to have one" - but I just came across it in a box of old gunning clothes this afternoon. I have a Stearns that my wife bought me for Christmas when my kids were little. I used to wear it while gunning as well as while under way. (Surprisingly, it still seems serviceable - foam is not brittle or crumbly.)

I have conventional life vests - which I wear while under way and while gunning on float trips. I also bought an inflatable (with the pull cord, not the automatic) a couple of years ago but have yet to even charge it.

What do you use?

Thanks.

SJS

I have worn one for years and I'm thrilled with it. The mustang bomber float coat is what I've worn and seen most on the pros. The biggest advantage to me is that if you fall in with a float coat on and waders that you do not get drenched instantly. Those moments in the water before being completely wet and chilled (and heavy) are in the moments that you will likely be able to save yourself - making it easier to do so. Once in the water and in a survival situation you will stay warmer with a float coat than a vest over a hunting coat.

I find that the coat does not hinder movement. It is a little bulky, but no more so than lots of layers. It is also warm so often I wear it over just a light layer.

T

Last edited:
When I bought my first float coat I don't think anyone made them in camo--it was bright blue. But a couple spray cans of fabric paint took care of that. I was gunning big water for snow geese so I wore it all the time. Lying down in the boat, rocking on the waves, shooting a ten gauge with the float coat on, gave me plenty of excuses for missing...

I cut the padding out of the right shoulder to ease gun mount. Probably not recommended. Later as I got bigger I had a three XL stearns camo that was pretty windproof. With my Filson double cruiser under it, I'm not sure there was a wind that could penetrate. Never found one anyway. Fortunately I never had to give it the acid test despite some rough weather outings...the best PFD is a stable boat! I went to the float coveralls as well and felt pretty safe.

Friend of mine reached for a duck from a small dinghy and flipped it. He told me later he said "Stearns, do your stuff!"
He weighed 300, and the coat would bring him slowly to the surface, and then he would drift down until he hit bottom and kicked off, whereupon the coat would get him up to breathing space. He more or less hopped and glided to shore; gun and glasses were long gone,but he had presence of mind to drag the boat with him. Being very short sighted he felt pretty lost out there--no oars. Duke the Wonder Dog to the rescue--he said Duke I need those oars in the same voice he asked Duke to pick up decoys too far to wade. Duke brought him the oars one at a time, then the mallard.He placed Duke on the prow of the little dingy and rowed back toward where he thought the blind was, watching Duke. When the dog's ears perked he knew he was seeing the decoy spread and yelled to his partner. They built a big roaring fire and dried his clothes and him while theywaited for the pickup boat. It was several years before an industrial magnet recovered his 1100, but once the gunsmith was through with it it was good as new. Still, something for us larger duck hunters to consider...whether there's enough flotation to do the job if worst comes to worst

Steve: Good point about neoprene waders ... In late October, 2001, I flipped a 16' boat en route to an offshore island in Lake Champlain. Myself and three friends spent almost two hours in the drink before we were picked up. The only smart thing I did that morning was have everyone put on a standard, vest-style PFD. Of the four of us, only one was wearing neoprene waders; the rest were wearing either loose-fitting breathables or old-fashioned canvas-rubber waders. The guy wearing the neoprenes was by far the warmest and most bouyant. Once my insulated coat soaked through and my waders were fully engulfed, I am convinced that I would have had a very hard time keeping my head above water if I did not have the hull of the boat to hang onto ... My SOP for late-season or open-water hunting now is to always wear neoprenes (which I find clammy) and a float coat with a cell phone and waterproof (not "resistant") VHF hand-held in an interior pocket. I have both Stearns and Onyx float coats for me and my kids. I don't hunt with it on, but I always wear it when underway. And while I have never tested my float coat, my wife has. Several years ago she wanted to plow our pond with an ATV so the kids could play hockey. I did not think the ice was thick enough, but she was determined so I told her to at least put on my float coat. Sure enough, the ATV broke through and ended up rolling on her before sinking. She was able to get out thanks to the float coat. She says it made her so bouyant that she was able to easily kick and claw her way back onto the ice ... My other SOP, btw, is to never cross a long sheet of open water in the dark with the wind gusting up to 30 knots and kicking up large, irregular rollers. A full-body survival suit wouldn't be enough to get me to do that again!!!

Steve: Good point about neoprene waders ... In late October, 2001, I flipped a 16' boat en route to an offshore island in Lake Champlain. Myself and three friends spent almost two hours in the drink before we were picked up. The only smart thing I did that morning was have everyone put on a standard, vest-style PFD. Of the four of us, only one was wearing neoprene waders; the rest were wearing either loose-fitting breathables or old-fashioned canvas-rubber waders. The guy wearing the neoprenes was by far the warmest and most bouyant. Once my insulated coat soaked through and my waders were fully engulfed, I am convinced that I would have had a very hard time keeping my head above water if I did not have the hull of the boat to hang onto ... My SOP for late-season or open-water hunting now is to always wear neoprenes (which I find clammy) and a float coat with a cell phone and waterproof (not "resistant") VHF hand-held in an interior pocket. I have both Stearns and Onyx float coats for me and my kids. I don't hunt with it on, but I always wear it when underway. And while I have never tested my float coat, my wife has. Several years ago she wanted to plow our pond with an ATV so the kids could play hockey. I did not think the ice was thick enough, but she was determined so I told her to at least put on my float coat. Sure enough, the ATV broke through and ended up rolling on her before sinking. She was able to get out thanks to the float coat. She says it made her so bouyant that she was able to easily kick and claw her way back onto the ice ... My other SOP, btw, is to never cross a long sheet of open water in the dark with the wind gusting up to 30 knots and kicking up large, irregular rollers. A full-body survival suit wouldn't be enough to get me to do that again!!!

With my Mustang Bomber and 5 mm neoprenes, I float on the water, not in it.

With my Mustang Bomber and 5 mm neoprenes, I float on the water, not in it.

You must be laying off the doughnuts

Thanks Chuck, just spit coffee allover the screen :)
In all seriousness I wear a pfd everytime I go out,2 seasons ago I went in the 3 times ,the last being December 5th. The combo of waders (with belt) and pfd kept me riding high enough my head never went under. My 1187 well it didn't fair as well.

I have worn a mustang for the past three years and love it. I wear it underway all the time and usually while hunting. It will ocassionally cause the stock of my gun to get caught on the foam near my shoulder.

Back