Homer's "foamers" - new Model 72 alternatives

Steve Sanford

As anyone following my duckboats.net posts or my website has probably gathered, I grew up with – and still use – lots of Herter's decoys. My Dad had a bunch, especially Model 72 Broadbill, and later, Model 81 Brant. I bought a dozen Model 72 Mallards when I was 14 and my Dad always had 3 Model 92 Canadas – until one blew out of his roof rack at speed. Many of my gunning partners still hunt over Herter's "foam" birds – and I have rehabbed a bunch of them. Some just got repairs and paint, some got epoxy and sawdust, and some got burlap.

D8_zpstoolcvd6.jpg

These Broadbill - and the Cans below - got my epoxy + fine sawdust treatment before they got new paint.

WS%20-%20Model%2072%20Cans%20-%20SJS%203-13_zpsl50pjbta.jpg

These Brant were for the Kessler-Wertz rig. Sounds like they may be on vacation for a couple of years while Brant populations recover (we hope!).

Kesslers%20Brant%20Rig%20-%20First%20Batch%20Profile_zpsphddzmez.jpg

These Canadas include 3 rigs - Model 92s, Model 81s - and my 81s with pine heads.

Goose%20Rig%203-%20small_zpsq9frjscn.jpg

The Model 72 Broadbill stood – and many would argue still does stand – as the standard for big diver rigs for many decades – since they were introduced in the early 1950s. As a young painter-then-carver, I appreciated their life-like features. The molded-in wing feathers and side pockets helped me to learn duck anatomy/topography.

3%20Herters%20-%20Model%2072%20Bluebill%20%20excerpt%20cropped_zpsvze6tgbk.jpg

Like many of us of a certain age, I read the Herter's catalog – only one per year back in those innocent days – from cover to cover, memorizing much of it. Many of George L. Herter's phrases stick with me even now. Nevertheless, I was disappointed when they finally introduced both Goldeneyes and Baldpate in their Model 63. It was not the life-size that bothered me – we on Great South Bay do value over-size stool – but that they did not make new heads for those species. The Goldeneye was just a Bluebill with different paint and the Baldpate was just a Mallard with different paint. Since Herter's had previously molded distinct heads for Mallard, Pintail, Bluebill and Canvasback – and molded 3 different body shapes - I expected more.

So, when I read Tony Homer's recent post ( http://www.duckboats.net/...;;page=unread#unread ) about the new diver bodies he was offering from his shop in Ohio, it caught my attention. I loved all of the modifications they had made to the new body and could not help but wonder what the heads would look like. A PM was in order.

Homer%20body_zps2qhavlxq.jpg

One thing led to another and I promised Tony a Broadbill head shortly after my Open Studio in mid-July. I mailed it off – and got a warm reception upon it's arrival in the midwest.

The original Model 72 is on the left - my new one is on the right.

Model%2072%20-%20Old%20amp%20New%20B_zpsy2oi3ts5.jpg

Model%2072%20-%20Old%20amp%20New_zpsouk7gjfb.jpg

I usually carve my Broadbill with fatter cheeks but was limited by the 2 1/4-inch base diameter of the Model 72 heads. I did raise the crown and sink the eyes in beneath a broad brow - and flared the bill out a bit.

Broadbill%20E_zpsk2q5fker.jpg

Tony's satisfaction led to a request for another species: Lo and behold – a Goldeneye! The very bird that got me thinking about 50 years ago. This time, I had a body to use to check the shape and flow. And, I selected this crown shape so it could serve for both Drake and Hen.

72%20Whistler%20A_zpsisq4yszy.jpg

The wing and tail feathers are not molded in as on a Model 72 - but this gives more options. And the "rollout" - between the back and the side pocket - helps lay out the paint pattern.

Body%20B_zpsqwmjbgrt.jpg

Whistler%20B_zpsctqheunf.jpg

I did not have any long-enough screw eyes in the shop - so I just tacked the head on with a lag. I would normally set the head in caulk and fasten with a SS eye backed with a SS fender washer.

Whistler%20C_zpskgey2cdi.jpg

I believe it is Tony's son who will lead the decoy work. It is certainly a fine product and I expect it will be embraced by diver gunners everywhere. I plan to have 5 or 6 ready to add to my Ice Scooter ( http://stevenjaysanford.com/...t-south-bay-scooter/ ) rig later this year.

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
Luv that bluebill head. Is that what hes going to model his bluebill head from once their in production? Need to pic up some of his diver bodys myself.

Thanks Fred,

Yes this will be one of several heads we will have available in the future.

The first head being done is what we will call a dual purpose head for redheads and bluebills. Then later this fall we will have a canvasback head, Steves Scaup, Steves Goldeneye and a Sleeper diver head. I believe that will cover it pretty well for this body.

Steve thanks again,

Tony~

BTW: That Rehead on your website is gorgeous! Wish we had more on the waters I hunt.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks for posting Steve. I can certainly tell what a gentleman you are by your post and would love to share a sweat tea with you someday and talk decoys and boats.

and thanks to Tony for the bodies and heads. I have already ordered quite a few dozen. I'm going to let Kyle do his first rig this year. Can't wait....

Nice post Steve, enjoy seeing your work!

Tony, if I were to buy some bodies, what is the process for attaching wooden heads, carved by myself?

Thanks

Zach~

I will let Tony give the official answer but - as I alluded to in my post - I would fasten a wooden head with a SS screw eye (6") and fender washer with the head bedded in 3M 5200 or other good caulk.

All the best,

SJS

Nice post Steve, enjoy seeing your work!

Tony, if I were to buy some bodies, what is the process for attaching wooden heads, carved by myself?

Thanks

You can simply use ezlock inserts and a washer and 5" eyebolt. Really simple to do. We and alot of other guys use autumn wing wood heads and that is the process. You can get the ezlok inserts on amazon for around 10.00 for 50.

Tony,

The title for me thinking....you son needs to put his creative mind to work and come up wih a shirt "Homer's Foamers"

haha, indeed. that could be interesting from an 18yr old. But I will pass it along and see if he can get creative.

Thanks

Back