ON THE FALLING TIDE

Steve Sanford

All~

Craig Kessler, Anthony Babich and I - with help from scores of others - have just begun filming our next documentary:

ON THE FALLING TIDE ~ The story of traditional Black Duck gunning on South Shore of Long Island

We began this project right after our Broadbill effort ( https://stevenjaysanford.com/...-on-great-south-bay/ ) in March of 2015. As we did with the Broadbill, we have been meeting with veteran gunners, collecting information, and digitizing photos and documents.

Last Thursday night, Anthony brought his video equipment to the home of George Combs III - the latest in a long line of baymen and gunners from what we call "up west". George was our first guest star and our visit was filled with decoys, boats, guns, photos, gear, et cetera, et cetera. We got off to a great beginning and will be filming (recording ?) about once each month. We need to be ready for the World Premier at the March 4, 2017 Annual Show of the Long Island Decoy Collectors Association.

This natural cork bird was carved by George's grandfather - who taught him how to carve - and lots of other good stuff, too. Like my other cards, I did this in watercolors with a bit of ink. George Sr. carved it for the 1970 U. S. National Decoy Contest here on Long Island.

Combs%20Black%20Duck%205%20x%207%20%20%20CAPTION_zpsxvaglbez.jpg

This "teardrop" anchor was cast in a mold made by George, Sr. in the 1930s - and George III still uses the mold. This anchor has joined dozens of others hanging from my shop ceiling.

Combs%20Anchor%201_zpsfx9aexug.jpg

I - and probably Anthony, too - will be providing updates and teasers over the next 11 months.

Stay tuned!

SJS

Last edited:
I wonder if I don't have enough natural form for you to do a bird like that Steve. Word was it was salvaged off the beach in Maine from life boats that washed up from bots torpedoed by the Germans in the War. It's neat stuff, multi layered with pins holding it together. If you're interested let me know and I'll start the search.

Looking forward to seeing this project evolve.

Steve

I can't wait tell see the video.
It would be interesting to see in print the age started, the age retired from the gunning sport. Also how and why.

Steve, put me in for two. I re watch your Boradbill effort monthly. It's much better than the nonsense on TV and the interviews are awesome.
Can't wait.

Best - Paul

Steve: Great artwork with the bird. Brings back so many memories of the North Shore. The old guys all used that cork.

Good morning, Steve~

It looks like this bird was also made from lifeboat - rather than the much smaller life jacket cork. The bottom may have been spliced with 2 pieces but the back looks like one width of cork.

Note Capt. Combs' pride in this bird:

All the best,

SJS

Steve:
Very much looking forward to your new upcoming " Black Duck Hunting " coming out next year 3/4/2017. Very much enjoyed your last years video about Hunting on Local Long Island.

Quick update on the project so far. (June 2016) We have continued to document the interviews of George Combs III, Bill Bennett, Dick Richardson and Ben Sohlm. Focusing on the variety of methods used to hunt the prized "Blackduck" here on the Southshore of Long Island, NY.

The project now shifts further east as we continue to focus on the Westhampton area... more details to follow!

Here's some photos of what's behind the scenes for the 2017 project.. Expected release March 2017.
All-new trailer video coming soon..

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%2011.17.34%20PM_zps5ajofoxf.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%2011.18.34%20PM_zpsfkpal8j8.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%2011.22.12%20PM_zpshk05ihwc.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-22%20at%2011.18.50%20PM%20copy_zpszasobffy.jpg

The man himself.. Mr. Steve Jay Sanford pushing us to the on site location of the "bay house" owned by Ben Sohm for Interview #4..
IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-2_zpsvsunxmwx.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM%20copy_zpsdz9bbefb.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-17_zps6lauqxji.jpg

Aerial View From Above...
IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-12_zpsfmvr3qo9.jpg

Good morning, Anthony~

All great stuff! I took advantage of my Mom's unlimited bandwidth to view our "rough cuts" last night. Each one is pure gold. Better get your tux dry-cleaned - I see a Cinematography prize in your future....

My trove of stills continues to grow. I will be stopping by Dick Richardson's later today so he can help me put captions on scores of photos from Pattersquash.

Here is just a taste from the archives.....

P19_zpszt64nwpl.jpg

PICT0007_zpsuo4hqvzf.jpg

JCW12%20BampW_zps35kscz25.jpg

See you soon,

SJS

This is another of those things in life that I will anticipate until completion. Good luck with this new project. What a subject!
Al

Can't wait to see this video, it's every where I grew up fishing and hunting. If you can post a pic of Bud Wards verity skiff "Blackduck". I always thought it was cool.
I'm sure your video will be great...

Good morning, John~

Thanks for the tip about Bud's BLACKDUCK - I was not aware of it. You have given me yet an other quarry to track down.

You may recall from our Broadbill video that John Verbeke's Dad (and later John himself) owned another BLACK DUCK

Anthony is arriving here tomorrow morning so we can film more about boats, decoys and the evolution of Mr. Black Duck himself.

I have just rolled another Benjamin Hallock Scooter into the shop for rehab. This vessel - from the early 1900s - was owned by Arthur Christ Sr. Both Senior and Junior were Game Wardens (later ECOs) on eastern Long Island. She will be put back in shape as a "grassboat" with thatch rails et cetera - but will also have the usual pair of ice runners on her bottom when I am done.

Craig Kessler helped me load it onto my trailer at the Flanders Club (now Suffolk County Parks land) awhile back.

Capn%20Kessler%20-%20Curator%20of%20Ducks_zpsgmyhwuy5.jpg

As far as I can tell, she has no rot - but a bit of (expected) frame/structural work will need my attention on her bottom.

Intake%206_zpsjcya0hju.jpg

I will be starting a step-by-step post soon - but Anthony and I will continue to tease on this post as progress on FALLING TIDE continues....

All the best,

SJS

This past weekend I was able to make the trip up to the legendary "Pencil Brook Farm" home to Steve Sanford himself and all of his many creations. We were able to capture some footage on location both in the shop & near the farm's marshland to incorporate into the project releasing March 2017!

Here's a few images of the trip & Steve in action busy yet again on a few things shipping out soon.

Many more updates as we continue into the project!

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-53_zpszmdzvkiu.jpg

13880238_1406650919350912_7097675079747687724_n_zpsq0he2qmu.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-24_zpsjpjke9as.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-12_zpszfu2klgu.jpg

13921011_1406650479350956_8744451675766047793_n_zpsjh58jhsy.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-11_zps10ohd78n.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-41_zpsjb87up4c.jpg

13627187_1406650616017609_8821630357780071432_n_zpsizl1ldyn.jpg

Anthony, thanks very much for posting your photo montage!

Steve, I just want to compliment you on the flow and overall lines of those black duck heads: beautiful, individually and collectively! Very nice effort!

Good morning, Rich~

I capture the rainfall from the north side of my shop roof in a 135-gallon tank. I use it for the little water I need in the shop and for watering my Blueberry patch - 20 plants about 60 yards away - and slightly downslope.

We also capture rainfall from our house and car barn to feed a small frog pond behind the house.

All the best,

SJS

Back