Tuckerton - proposed additions discussion

Dave Diefenderfer

Sponsor
Please don't read this as sour grapes..... I read the rules and completely understand the focus of the show.
Looking forward to the next year or more when I complete the restoration of the Susquehanna River Rollboat, or any other relic I happen upon, I would like a venue to display them. I really like the Tuckerton show, and the folks that are there each year. I go every year usually without something to show. This year I showed my Scooter, knowing it was not a NJ boat, and therefore not eligible for judging.... and really am fine with that. I entered it in the restoration class, to get a spot to park it. Perhaps a class is not needed, and I can simply fudge my entries into one of the already defined classes going forward? Since the focus of the show is heritage, and the contemporary class already has significant latitude, I am wondering if a Vintage Class might be lobbied for? A class where any vessel over say 50 years old, from any region might be displayed. I know that judging would be difficult as there maybe no experts in NJ for a WI boat, but either make the criteria broad, like fit and finish, eye appeal, or no judging at all, and simply exhibition?
I would also like to see a Hunting Rig Class. One of the things I really like about the show is seeing how others have done things to get ideas... I have made significant changes to my BBSB since I completed it (well is it ever really completed) and could show it again with these changes.... fully grassed and loaded with a decoy rig.
What would you like to see added to the show?

I really like your basic idea. It might help to draw more people too. Obviously it would increase the number of displays but it would also increase the diversity a little. I rarely go any more and only live 45 minutes away. The biggest reason for that is because it's largely the same stuff year after year. If I knew there was a strong possibility for fresh things to see and learn I would definitely be more inclined to go every year.

George I didnt see anyone physically carving any decoys however i saw at least one person who had a display of decoys in its various forms from block to pattern cut out to hollowing to rough cut to sanded and then painted. Would be great if they could get someone to do a factual how to through out the day.

And now that I am at my computer and not typing on my phone id like to expand on my point from above...

Tuckerton is no doubt a plethora of history and information regarding waterfowling in NJ. And those responsible for the show do a fantastic job of keeping the weekend vary oriented in that direction. I have been to too many "hunting and fishing" expos that are full of clog free gutter demos and information about the latest and greatest "as seen on TV" inventions. I know that those things pay the bills for some outdoors shows but I really enjoy that I dont have to wade through all of those advertisements and am just able to enjoy a day all about waterfowling. In fact i enjoy the noticeable absence of Midwest deer outfitters and new england salmon fishing guides that are the main stays of those expos i mentioned previously.

All that aside I would absolutely love to see a bit of "non-jersey" history and culture incorporated. I grew up thinking that sneak boxes were as common across the country as they are here and that everyone knew what a garvey was. I had no idea what else was out there and I think it would be beneficial and enlightening for everyone to see what else is out there. Plus, who doesnt like a little more friendly competition?

I also would really really enjoy seeing some sort of competition for modern boats. I know there are some really well thought out and set ups from newer sneak boxes to jon boats to purpose built boats like TDB and Bankes. Some guys have incredible ideas for custom blinds, decoy storage/deployment, etc... Would just be one more thing to draw people in and keep them around through out the day.

Just my 2 cents... I appologize for the long winded write up about an awesome show.

Good morning, Dave~

Thanks for this thread.

As a New Yorker with a penchant for older gunning boats, I would certainly like to see an opportunity for vessels of the Non-Garden-State variety. Perhaps something could mirror the Decoy Contest: There are 2 Jersey Classes - Barnegat and Delaware River - but also a Contemporary Class open to other styles.

I asked a vendor at the Show how Tuckerton compares to other such shows around the country. His response was: "Nothing even comes close." So, in light of Tuckerton's preeminence, it would be great if it could expand its mission to include additional classes of non-indigenous duckboats - both Contemporary rigs as well as Vintage, Classic, Heritage, Old School - or maybe just Outsider, Interloper or even Intruder...... AND, it could be more of a show (educational) than a contest. As you know, I ran the Long Island Duckboat Show & Waterfowl Festival (South Shore Waterfowlers Ass'n event) for many years. Although it is structured as a contest, its core purpose has always been educational - so gunners could see how others approach and solve the many challenges of gunning from a boat under a variety of conditions.

To George's point, I think a decoy carving demonstration would be a valuable addition to the Show. In fact, I would suggest that several carvers might like to share the opportunity, with each taking a half-day slot for example. In my case, I would volunteer to teach how I paint gunning stool. (Maybe you could demonstrate staying dry in a Susquehanna Roll Boat.....)

All the best,

SJS

I believe there are carving classes across the street at the seaport. Also a boatbuilding shop.

The judges for the boat contest can be very partial to the local designs. I mean local designed sneakbox, hard chines and the like may be useful on the river in NJ but not the bay for so hard chines don't win.

Charlie I believe this is the specific reason why Dave (and I) would like some additional categories added to the contest. I love the classic sneak boxes and spent a long time drooling on them this past weekend as they are truly a class of their own but I would really love to see some variety

I overheard a guy giving out ribbons mention that the boat was not Jersey, so he got a honorable mention.
Was my first year there. Would be nice to have a head carving contest, no power tools. Species and blank provided. Changed yearly. Even guys carving birds.
Show was great, would like to see restored boats in one area and new commercial boats in another spot. Plan to make it next year.

Capt rich that would definitely be fun to watch and educational for beginners like myself.

Anyone know where we would go to make these suggestions formally? It's a great show but would be nice to see some new and fresh displays/competitions

Capt, they do have a head carving contest. It matches the bird of the year, every year. This years bird was a Brant. Heads are available for pickup under the decoy tent.

Back