Duckboats.net
Skip to Content


Home : Main Forums : Duck Boat/Hunting Forum :

Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked....

Quote Reply
Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked....
I cooked duck breast tonight for the family and it was quite possibly the best I ever cooked.
Gadwalls and Buffies, family devoured it all.
I really out-did myself this time.
Brined the fillets for 10 hours, brine contained 4 cups water, 1 beef bullion cube, 2 TBS of brown sugar, 2 TBS kosher salt, 1 tsp garlic powder & 1/2 TSP black pepper.
After brining, I pounded them almost flat with a meat hammer. Make sure to put a layer of plastic wrap over them so you don't spray the kitchen with blood & meat-bits!
Heated up a large cast iron pan of oil to 375 degrees.
Had 3 dips: plain flour, then beaten eggs (2) with some milk, then flour seasoned with pepper and garlic powder, in that order.
Deep fried for 2 minutes each side.
Topped with a simple homemade gravy.
Very very tender, very mild flavored, yes even the buffies were great! My wife actually preferred the buffies over the gadwalls.







Carl
Mobile, AL
DHBP Member since 1998

"Life is too short to drink bad beer."
Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present surveying methods. It is only a report on or comment concerning local observation and/or results. Your results and observation may vary based on your location, local water conditions, food supply, weather conditions and migratory patterns "

Last edited by:

Carl: Dec 8, 2018, 8:30 AM
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
Sounds pretty good. I usually make a gumbo or chili with mine just to use up a lot at one time or brine and smoke large amounts of breasts.
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
Sounds like a great way to prepare it, might try it next time. Thanks for sharing.

Buffies must be eating something good this year because my wife liked them better than the woodies I shot this year. And she doesn't care for duck and does not like goose.




Benjamin Pendleton
Northeast N.C.
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
Carl,

I am seriously hungry after reading your post. We do the same thing with our goose breasts, you just have to fillet them in half (thickness) before hammering.


Why get a low profile boat and put a high profile blind on it?
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
Brining is the secret to every ?inedible? meat. It?s all about the salt ant brown sugar in my palet. black pepper is perfect too.

It?s amazing what a 24hr soak will do.

Ginger and soy is the next step for mergs.... I can make wontons from red breasts that will blow your mind.

"Remember that it is not the so much the appearance of the bird in the hand but the effect of a half-gunshot off that counts" Duck Shooting Along the Atlantic Tidewater
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
Sounds like a winner carl
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
Looks good Carl. I usually do a similar brine on duck breasts. Mine is some combination of fresh garlic, Worcestershire Sauce, soy sauce, Marsala, and water to cover. Then finished on the grill.

The pan fry is maybe a better option, since it leads to gravy. Nothing better than gravy on a fry.

I have done the same experiment on my families taste buds, putting a mallard up against some the "less desired" species. I have had similar results, either no difference or better.
Cheers
RD
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
Carl wrote:
I cooked duck breast tonight for the family and it was quite possibly the best I ever cooked.
Gadwalls and Buffies, family devoured it all.
I really out-did myself this time.
Brined the fillets for 10 hours, brine contained 4 cups water, 1 beef bullion cube, 2 TBS of brown sugar, 2 TBS kosher salt, 1 tsp garlic powder & 1/2 TSP black pepper.
After brining, I pounded them almost flat with a meat hammer. Make sure to put a layer of plastic wrap over them so you don't spray the kitchen with blood & meat-bits!
Heated up a large cast iron pan of oil to 375 degrees.
Had 3 dips: plain flour, then beaten eggs (2) with some milk, then flour seasoned with pepper and garlic powder, in that order.
Deep fried for 2 minutes each side.
Topped with a simple homemade gravy.
Very very tender, very mild flavored, yes even the buffies were great! My wife actually preferred the buffies over the gadwalls.


Sounds great- Now I'm shooting buffies.....Cool

Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
I will be trying this! I am new to the kitchen and like seeing HOW to cook ducks from duck hunters.
Much appreciated!

Someone shared a sweet and sour recipe. It was easy and taste identical to what you get at the restaurant. Its a good one to switch up things. Will load up later.
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
A good buffie recipe & Phil claims he can grill goldeneye. What is this world coming to!? Smile
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
Andrew L. wrote:
A good buffie recipe & Phil claims he can grill goldeneye. What is this world coming to!? Smile


Next thing you know people will post a coot recipe!


Carl
Mobile, AL
DHBP Member since 1998

"Life is too short to drink bad beer."
Disclaimer: This post and/or report is not a substantiation of or reflection on the true accuracy of the present surveying methods. It is only a report on or comment concerning local observation and/or results. Your results and observation may vary based on your location, local water conditions, food supply, weather conditions and migratory patterns "
Quote Reply
Re: Possibly the best duck I have ever cooked.... In reply to
Carl wrote:
Andrew L. wrote:
A good buffie recipe & Phil claims he can grill goldeneye. What is this world coming to!? Smile



Next thing you know people will post a coot recipe!


That might work Carl, as long as you remember that everything tastes better with bacon. Whistle w00t