Duckboats.net
Skip to Content


Home : Main Forums : Duck Boat/Hunting Forum :

Feebees in the peerow

(Page 1 of 2)
Quote Reply
Feebees in the peerow
I built the stitch and glue pirogue 20 years ago for the marshes of Wisconsin, I only use it for rail these days. It is in the rafters of the barn and I noticed that the Phoebes had taken an interest in it. We were headed out of town last weekend and I noticed the nest, I left the barn doors cracked hoping that they wouldn?t abandon their nest, but worried that I had compromised their nesting

Phoebe on her nest.


Nest in bow of the pirogue.


We were headed to upstate NY back to the lake where I learned to fish and shot my first ducks. We were there for the post spawn perch bite and wow did it ever work out. I haven?t ever seen yellows in as abundance and of such a nice size as we had for the several days we were there. There were as many fish as really you could want and of great size, if not too many big ones (is that possible?).

Gus and Jen with some nice yellows.


Me with a typical nice one.


Me with probably my personal best.


Beautiful piles of yellows.



I spent a lot of time cutting fish every day.



Gus (and I) had a great time sight fishing yellows with a bead head nymph on the tenkara.




As an addition for those gardeners, our first salad of the season, with some deep fried AK salmon from last summer.

Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
So what's the present status of the bird nest? Your story starts off about discovering the nest, leaving the doors cracked open, concern about the integrity of the brooding. Then you go off on some tangent showing us various photos of personal accomplishments. Don't just leave us hanging, what about the nest? Have the eggs hatched? Have they been abandoned? If hatched, are the babies doing well? Are they growing? Inquiring minds need to know.

OH BTW, nice pics.

Take care, Huntindave McCann Smile SHELL ROCK IA “As sailors grow older, the wiser ones move to smaller boats.” —Thomas Firth Jones, Multihull Voyaging
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Huntindave McCann wrote:
So what's the present status of the bird nest? Your story starts off about discovering the nest, leaving the doors cracked open, concern about the integrity of the brooding. Then you go off on some tangent showing us various photos of personal accomplishments. Don't just leave us hanging, what about the nest? Have the eggs hatched? Have they been abandoned? If hatched, are the babies doing well? Are they growing? Inquiring minds need to know.

OH BTW, nice pics.


Sorry, bird pics are from today, they are still sitting on the eggs, so all went well.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
tod osier wrote:
Huntindave McCann wrote:
So what's the present status of the bird nest? Your story starts off about discovering the nest, leaving the doors cracked open, concern about the integrity of the brooding. Then you go off on some tangent showing us various photos of personal accomplishments. Don't just leave us hanging, what about the nest? Have the eggs hatched? Have they been abandoned? If hatched, are the babies doing well? Are they growing? Inquiring minds need to know.

OH BTW, nice pics.



Sorry, bird pics are from today, they are still sitting on the eggs, so all went well.


Whew, so relieved, good to know. Cool

Take care, Huntindave McCann Smile SHELL ROCK IA “As sailors grow older, the wiser ones move to smaller boats.” —Thomas Firth Jones, Multihull Voyaging
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
That is a nice mess of perch Tod. Don't really get yellow perch here in south jersey, but do get the white perch which taste almost as good.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Yum, spring perch. Todd, which lake were you all fishing at?
george@runamuckdecoys.com
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Huntindave McCann wrote:

Whew, so relieved, good to know. Cool


I?ll keep you updated Dave.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
george w wrote:
Yum, spring perch. Todd, which lake were you all fishing at?


Yes, fish fries are planned!

We were on Cayuga, east side about midway up if you know the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Nice story Tod. I love icefishing upstate NY, having enjoyed many days picking away at the yellows and eyes.

Ducks on Cayuga? There's no ducks on Cayuga, especially not those pesky redheads. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Barn swallow last year under my house on the decoy rack.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
george w wrote:
Yum, spring perch. Todd, which lake were you all fishing at?


Hi George, I've been painting some decoys and thinking of you and wanted to thank you for being such an unrepentant asshole in promoting Golden's so many years ago. In my collection of decoys the ones that have held up the best are painted with Golden's, either by me or others. Clearly a vastly superior product. I appreciate you taking the time so many years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Paul Mc wrote:
Barn swallow last year under my house on the decoy rack.


That is a great pic.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
SJ Fairbank wrote:
Nice story Tod. I love icefishing upstate NY, having enjoyed many days picking away at the yellows and eyes.

Ducks on Cayuga? There's no ducks on Cayuga, especially not those pesky redheads. Smile


I've never hunted where the redheads are, but know the deal. I'd like to do it someday, but it is hard with my folks having a place there and being able to roll out of bed and shoot off the dock (even if the gunning is only so-so).
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
I don't think there is a better eating fish than yellow perch. Would take that over a walleye almost any day.

If you want to try another way to cook perch (or walleye), here is my personal fav.

Fillet the fish as you have.
Place on top of a sheet of aluminum foil
On top of the fish place a couple of pats of butter, lemon slices, and sprinkle lemon pepper on top. (could also squeeze on some more lemon juice if desired)
Fold foil and wrap loosely
Place on grill and cook till done.

May not be a new recipe to many but it is a great way to cook these fish.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Tod,
Around here, Perch are a close second to Walleyes in being sought after for table fare. Limits are also much more generous for Perch. I'll give you a score of "8" out of 10, for your "Mr. Wilson" impersonation. Whistle





Take care, Huntindave McCann Smile SHELL ROCK IA “As sailors grow older, the wiser ones move to smaller boats.” —Thomas Firth Jones, Multihull Voyaging
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to

Quote
it is hard with my folks having a place there and being able to roll out of bed and shoot off the dock (even if the gunning is only so-so).


Can't argue with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Huntindave McCann wrote:
Tod,
Around here, Perch are a close second to Walleyes in being sought after for table fare. Limits are also much more generous for Perch. I'll give you a score of "8" out of 10, for your "Mr. Wilson" impersonation. Whistle


Good observation, I should have seen it. The fenceposts are even painted on the fish.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Huntindave McCann wrote:
Tod,
Around here, Perch are a close second to Walleyes in being sought after for table fare. Limits are also much more generous for Perch. I'll give you a score of "8" out of 10, for your "Mr. Wilson" impersonation. Whistle


Well Dave, after my appearance was criticized a couple weeks ago, I've been wanting to spare everyone the trauma.
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Tod,

Nice perch! I cut my teeth on Lake Michigan perch fishing. If I had known Cayuga had perch like that I would have tried harder to get up there to fish.

Thanks for posting!

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
greg setter wrote:
That is a nice mess of perch Tod. Don't really get yellow perch here in south jersey, but do get the white perch which taste almost as good.


We have some good numbers of whites here at home, but the ones closest to he house come from a PCB loaded lake. Fun to catch, but I wouldn?t eat them, unfortunately. Mostly my love of yellow perch is nostalgia, but they sure eat good, too!
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Well I'm hungry now.
Perch from clear water are sure nice looking fish. I bet they will taste good.
Dang, Gus is growing.

Those salad greens look great. I should have some in about the next week now that we finally have some sun and warmth.

Hope the little flycatchers do well.

Tim
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Ah Nuts!"

http://snipehunterfishart.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
For reasons I have never understood, in Maine white perch are highly esteemed table and game fish, while yellow perch are not. The opposite seems to be the case every place else.

RE: the phoebe's nest, I'm not sure it is possible to disturb them enough to cause next failure. We've had one nest on our back porch, just over the entrance to the house, every year for the last five. Despite many disturbances each day, and at least one event every year where the bird tending the next spooks into the kitchen through the open door and then has to be corralled and chased out an open window, the chicks fledge every year.

"At first blush I am tempted to conclude that a satisfactory hobby must be in large degree useless, inefficient, laborious, or irrelevant."
— Aldo Leopold
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Perch are probably one of my favorite eating fish. Those yellows sure look good!
We catch and fry mainly saltwater white perch. They average 12-14? and when caught in our salt estuary have a great flavor and no limit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Todd,
Even though I am eating lunch as I write this, you are making me hungry.

In my 26 years in Michigan, I found no finer taste than yellow perch. Even my wife preferred them over walleye and she loved walleye.

What a nice mess of "big uns"! A blessing indeed!

Thank you for sharing your photo journey.

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Feebees in the peerow In reply to
Thanks Guys, it was a great family trip.

They were oh so good when we enjoyed them a couple nights back.



We did neat fish related thing last weekend and went to observe the American Shad upstream migration. American Shad are saltwater fish that spawn in fresh like salmon. The day we went the fish lift over the dam moved something like 25K fish. Really neat to see that many fish, the larger ones are 5+ pounds, so pretty impressive.




Last edited by:

tod osier: Jun 5, 2019, 5:16 PM