Duckboats.net
Skip to Content


Home : Main Forums : Duck Boat/Hunting Forum :

Question for you oil painters

Quote Reply
Question for you oil painters
I hope to be finishing the paint work on my first go at oils. Have a pair of blacks I wanted to hunt last year, but unexpected drying times altered my plans. Is a spray varnish necessary and if so I presume it should be a matte finish? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Bob
________________________________________

My life has two seasons, duck season and carving season
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you oil painters In reply to
There are several ways to do this, the way I do it is dammar varnish thinned with turpentine. About a 2 parts varnish to 3 parts turps, I just brush it on and let it dry. After one hunt and a couple of dunks in the marsh water, it's a matte finish. There are many on here who know a whole lot more than I do, hopefully they will jump in.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you oil painters In reply to
No topcoat is necessary. Though many old times used flat marine varnish cut with turps. I?d hunt them as is and let the age naturally, or you could do as Phil noted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you oil painters In reply to
Phil Boyles wrote:
There are several ways to do this, the way I do it is dammar varnish thinned with turpentine. About a 2 parts varnish to 3 parts turps, I just brush it on and let it dry. After one hunt and a couple of dunks in the marsh water, it's a matte finish. There are many on here who know a whole lot more than I do, hopefully they will jump in.

. Thanks Phil, if I brush, or spray on a varnish, is there an extended drying time or can it hunted in a week or so?
________________________________________

My life has two seasons, duck season and carving season
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you oil painters In reply to
jode hillman wrote:
No topcoat is necessary. Though many old times used flat marine varnish cut with turps. I?d hunt them as is and let the age naturally, or you could do as Phil noted.

Thanks Jode!. I've gotten into the habit of spraying a matte finish over my non-oil decoys and was thinking the same might be good over oils.
________________________________________

My life has two seasons, duck season and carving season
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you oil painters In reply to
Bob Reitmeyer wrote:
jode hillman wrote:
No topcoat is necessary. Though many old times used flat marine varnish cut with turps. I?d hunt them as is and let the age naturally, or you could do as Phil noted.

Thanks Jode!. I've gotten into the habit of spraying a matte finish over my non-oil decoys and was thinking the same might be good over oils.


It wouldn?t hurt them, but I?d go with a brushable oil matte varnish. However this will stop the oils from attaining thier natural hunting patina as it so nicely does. I let mine dry, hunt them , then give a quick rinse after the season and maybe a wipe or two of mineral oil. Nothing fancy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you oil painters In reply to
 
I agree with Jode. Good oil paint does take on a fine patina of it's own after years of use. Mineral oil of some sort after a seasons use, does freshen the paint somewhat.

If you go the route of some kind of topcoat, be darned sure the oil paint on the decoy is well cured. If not you may be in for a unwanted surprise.

It basically comes down to to what you prefer, and what works for you. Trial and error, with a good dose of patience are the best teachers.

my 2 cents











"Art does not reproduce what is visible - but makes things visible." ~ Paul Klee, artist, 1920
Quote Reply
Re: Question for you oil painters In reply to
Jode, Vince,

Great insight and something I never would have thought of. I'll just let them wear and age. Thanks again!
________________________________________

My life has two seasons, duck season and carving season