Duckboats.net
Skip to Content


Home : Main Forums : Duck Boat/Hunting Forum :

Thats a wrap in S Jersey.

(Page 1 of 2)
Quote Reply
Thats a wrap in S Jersey.
Not a bad day for my final hunt in South Jersey.Its been a very hit or miss season. Everything was shot feet Down over the Decoys.The Black ducks came in as a pair and Died together. However we wont talk about the fact that I was so proud of myself, I forgot to reload and the Next duck that was in the hole was a stud drake pintail! OMG. The click on the empty chamber was deafening, lol It was still the best Day of the season as far as Variety.
A hen gadwall and a hen teal(no pic) rounded out The afternoon.

I hunted a lot this season out of the 11foot low boat, and it really is a stealthy platform to get ducks in close. I like the dodger and shooting over the stern . An easy to handle one man boat.










----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ

Last edited by:

jode hillman: Jan 16, 2020, 6:34 AM
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Hey Jode, according to the pic in hand, that is a drake gaddie. Hen looks like a hen mallard in markings, only lighter, Same with the bill, again, lighter, with spots on the yellow-orange area. They do have nice clothes, though!Wink
george@runamuckdecoys.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
george w wrote:
Hey Jode, according to the pic in hand, that is a drake gaddie. Hen looks like a hen mallard in markings, only lighter, Same with the bill, again, lighter, with spots on the yellow-orange area. They do have nice clothes, though!Wink


Good catch George. Yep, a drake Gadwall and looks to be a nice one at that.
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
george w wrote:
Hey Jode, according to the pic in hand, that is a drake gaddie. Hen looks like a hen mallard in markings, only lighter, Same with the bill, again, lighter, with spots on the yellow-orange area. They do have nice clothes, though!Wink


Yes, I killed a drake gaddy. The hen gaddy and hen teal are not in pic.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Great ending Jode ! Where does your dog sit in your low boat set up ?

Best
Bob
.
.
.
.
A LOT OF MEMORIES IN A MAN'S STOOL........
Duck hunting without a dog is just shooting
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Bob M wrote:
Great ending Jode ! Where does your dog sit in your low boat set up ?

Best
Bob

Thanks Bob. My little boat is set up so that I lean my back against the front of the cockpit. With the dodger over my shoulders.Then I have two flaps that fold flat over my legs and torso and closing the cockpit from above. Brooke curls up down by my knees underneath the flapper boards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Gotcha Jode. Super set up.
.
.
.
.
A LOT OF MEMORIES IN A MAN'S STOOL........
Duck hunting without a dog is just shooting
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
 
Jode,

You are living a Marsh Hunters dream life for real.


Black Ducks are my favorite large puddle duck. After a double, I can understand not reloading. It's yer brain telling ya - OK it don't get better than that. Take a break, enjoy.

Pintails, Gadwalls, and Wigeon are sweet, but you are killing me with those photo's of GW drakes.

"Good things come in small packages." and IMO GW' s are the best.

Congratulations!


Best regards
Vince











"Art does not reproduce what is visible - but makes things visible." ~ Paul Klee, artist, 1920
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Wow, nice day. Beautiful late season birds.

We have until Monday, hoping to get Gus out Saturday or Monday (or both). Weather on the way though.
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Fantastic day to finish it out Jode. I never did have a chance to make it down your way and get on those teal.
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Oh yes, that click is deadening. w00t Have done that myself this season. Just dropped one in chamber of my M2 and didn,t load mag. Our season doesn,t go out till 28th so hoping to add a few more blks. & mallards to the tally. Looks like we,re finally going to get some gunnin weather tomorrow thru next week here on the Eastern Shore so got to get after them while the getting,s good!
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Bob M wrote:
Gotcha Jode. Super set up.


A few pics from today Bob. I generally pull the boat to a 45 degree angle to the decoy spread. Since Im right handed it gives me the best swing shooting over the starboard gunnel. I am really liking not having to push a flapper down to shoot. Most of the birds are taken completely unawares.





----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ

Last edited by:

jode hillman: Jan 16, 2020, 3:57 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Vince Pagliaroli wrote:
Jode,

You are living a Marsh Hunters dream life for real.


Black Ducks are my favorite large puddle duck. After a double, I can understand not reloading. It's yer brain telling ya - OK it don't get better than that. Take a break, enjoy.

Pintails, Gadwalls, and Wigeon are sweet, but you are killing me with those photo's of GW drakes.

"Good things come in small packages." and IMO GW' s are the best.

Congratulations!


Best regards
Vince


Vince, thanks, I have a sweet spot for those teal, that?s for sure. They are very sporty to hunt, and delicious to eat. Their colors are really a treasure to behold.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
tod osier wrote:
Wow, nice day. Beautiful late season birds.

We have until Monday, hoping to get Gus out Saturday or Monday (or both). Weather on the way though.


Thanks Tod, thats one bonus of hunting the late season. All the birds are primed and colored up. I hope you have a chance to get Gus out for one last shoot. In New Jersey we get a late season youth day, on February 1 this year. I am really liking the idea

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ

Last edited by:

jode hillman: Jan 16, 2020, 3:54 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Jay K wrote:
Fantastic day to finish it out Jode. I never did have a chance to make it down your way and get on those teal.


Thanks Jay, They are still here. And will remain so unless we get iced over in the salt water.

I didnt plan on hunting today with the gale warning in effect . But I just couldn?t pass up the final day of the season. The wind kept me off the marsh, but I visited a little Hole that was secluded in the woods. The ducks had the same idea.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ

Last edited by:

jode hillman: Jan 16, 2020, 3:59 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
jode hillman wrote:
tod osier wrote:
Wow, nice day. Beautiful late season birds.

We have until Monday, hoping to get Gus out Saturday or Monday (or both). Weather on the way though.


Thanks Tod, thats one bonus of hunting the late season. All the birds are primed and colored up. I hope you have a chance to get Gus out for one last shoot. In New Jersey we get a late season youth day, on February 1 this year. I am really liking the idea


That will be great. I?d really like that. Get a prime full plumage spoonie. They always show up in my area during late goose after duck is closed.

Last edited by:

tod osier: Jan 16, 2020, 4:39 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
roy brewington wrote:
Oh yes, that click is deadening. w00t Have done that myself this season. Just dropped one in chamber of my M2 and didn,t load mag. Our season doesn,t go out till 28th so hoping to add a few more blks. & mallards to the tally. Looks like we,re finally going to get some gunnin weather tomorrow thru next week here on the Eastern Shore so got to get after them while the getting,s good!


Thanks Roy, and good luck. Fortunately for me I was able to do a little bit of that today. Be safe .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
jode hillman wrote:
Bob M wrote:
Gotcha Jode. Super set up.



A few pics from today Bob. I generally pull the boat to a 45 degree angle to the decoy spread. Since Im right handed it gives me the best swing shooting over the starboard gunnel. I am really liking not having to push a flapper down to shoot. Most of the birds are taken completely unawares.

.
.
Thanks for the pics Jode
.
.
.
.
A LOT OF MEMORIES IN A MAN'S STOOL........
Duck hunting without a dog is just shooting
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Jode,

Always enjoy seeing the accounts of your outings. Glad you got the right conditions late into the season


MLBob

"Art is like an ill-trained Labrador retriever that drags you out into traffic." (Annie Dillard)

....Here's to Joe Wooster, who made me realize that the useful could and should be beautiful; and who firmly believed that decoy carvers were the last free men in America.

https://www.facebook.com/KOOIdecoy?ref=hl

Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
You had a couple of memorable days. Your photos are great, I really like the montage. I'm guessing some sleepers are on the workbench for next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
MLBob Furia wrote:
Jode,

Always enjoy seeing the accounts of your outings. Glad you got the right conditions late into the season


Thanks Bob, as I do yours. A few good days at the end keeps the fire going over the Long off season.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
SJ Fairbank wrote:
You had a couple of memorable days. Your photos are great, I really like the montage. I'm guessing some sleepers are on the workbench for next year?


Thanks, I enjoy taking pictures. Looking back on the brings the moments freshly to mind, like visiting an old friend.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never know which is worse: the sorrow when you hit the bird, or the shame when you miss.
http://www.hillmandecoys.com
Mullica Hill NJ
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
 Beautiful birds.
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
I sure enjoyed the pictures and the story. True duck hunting at its best. Thanks Jode.
Al
Quote Reply
Re: Thats a wrap in S Jersey. In reply to
Looks great Jode. I finished up my season a day early today. 4 shots on three birds, home before noon, already thinking of next season