Carsten's Canvasback photos

Huntindave McCann

Sponsor
Here are some photos from some of my hunts and such using the Canvasback.

Img26.jpg

I power this boat with a 6.5hp Mudbuddy longtail. The two red plastic pails are filled with sand and weigh about 60 to 70 lbs each. They are in there to simulate a full hunting load.

I made a few modifications which included adding Mahogany grassing rails and permanent navigation lights. Also a bow eye for trailering tie down.
IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

A treated woodslat floor keeps me and my gear above the bilge water. Ed Lydic, The floor also isolates my gear from the hull flex you refer to ;>)
IMG_0028.jpg

Just a few random pictures to show just how well it grasses up and blends in.
092406.jpg

Mallardsondeck28th.jpg

11-19-06.jpg

GeeseandgreenheadDec.jpg

sandbar.jpg

The last hunt this year was a real ice breaker getting to and from the ramp.
IMG_0633.jpg

Thanks for posting these Dave. Its obvoius from my posts I am sure that I am looking for a small boat and this is one I keep thinking about.

I have ruled out the herters boat but now I am debating between a canvasback with a mud motor and building the BBSB right now Or building a Bluebill or Black Brant and waiting till next year to build the BBSB.

It really helps seeing the picks of how you use the boat. Is it possible to sit on the floor or short seat and hunt out of the side of the boat?

Brandon, what was the boat that Eric had at duck camp? I thought it was a Carstens but I don't see it at their site.

Denny,
I dont think Eric had a boat. My freind with the Chessie Rob had a skiff boat. Very similar to a Carsten Pintail but a tad different. He was the one that sculled the bluebill raft in it with the dog laying down inside and shot the old squaw.

One of the other guys had the sneakbox with the mud motor. But that was a rebuild on a hull he found upside down in a backyard near his house. From old pictures I have seen its not really a BBSB but it is a duck boat. The style was used a lot in the Saginaw bay but I dont know if it was a local design or something imported.

He had it parked up on the slab of cement to the left as you entered your driveway but never put it in the water. I have several pictures of Rob paddleing his boat. I couldn't believe he could manuver that thing around loaded with all his decoys and his dog. Thought he was going swimming there for a while.

Thanks Dave great Pics.
I am seriously looking at the Canvasback for one of my own and Carsten's does not have many good pics available.
You added some "accessories" I see

Thanks

Last edited:
Dave

Can you give us some info on your mud motor, size and weight likes dislikes. I'm in the first stages of building a 2.5 horse mm.

James Roberts

I have ruled out the herters boat but now I am debating between a canvasback with a mud motor and building the BBSB right now Or building a Bluebill or Black Brant and waiting till next year to build the BBSB.

just curious why you ruled out the herters?? thanks

just curious why you ruled out the herters?? thanks

Jeff,
I was looking for a boat that could be hunted in marshes and cross over and do some big water crossing with two guys and a dog. The herters seemed to be just a bit to small for my use. In addition the weight of the boat was an issue for my needs. Nothing wrong with the boat just didnt seem to fit what I was looking for.

BTW I ended building a Black Brant III. Plans for a BBSB are still in my head as are for a really small one man marsh boat like a kara.

Back