AUGUST ~ What's on your workbench ?

Steve Sanford

All~

Lots of family time this past month - and wrapping up my Sneakbox project. The trailer is all squared away and I am about to spruce up the paint on my 1980 Evinrude 15.

I spent the last couple of days getting the shop and farm ready for a visit by Anthony Babich. We will be filming (recording) for our ON A FALLING TIDE project later this morning.

And, I am still awaiting the new bearings for the top wheel on my band saw.

My most recent "bench" project , though, was NDR. I have worked with a local farm;and preservation group - Agricultural Stewardship Association - for several years. I have participated in their annual art show fund-raiser - Landscapes for Land's Sake - and also have led bird walks and talks on local farms. When they learned I was too back-logged to have birds for their October show this year, they immediately found another way for me to contribute. So, right after a bird walk - since I had a rule and clipboard right in the Element - we designed a Portable Convertible Lectern on the spot. ASA needed it for September - until 2 weeks ago when they remembered an important event on August 4. So, this took priority for a few mornings:

Here is the base - with the "lip" to hold the upper part.

ASA%20lectern%20bottom%20A_zpsbrh7okxd.jpg

The upper part can be used by itself on a tabletop if one is handy....

ASA%20Lectern%20-%20desktop%20mode_zpstapzjvp4.jpg

....or it squeezes onto its base for stand-alone use.

ASA%20Lectern%20-%20complete%20aft_zpscbyvcwgd.jpg

ASA%20Lectern%20-%20complete%20fwd_zpspgyijaqb.jpg

I will be rehabbing and re-painting a bunch of gunners shortly - restoring another Hallock Scooter - and carving some new stuff during our 8th month.....

All the best,

SJS

I think that that Lecturn needs to be graced with one of those most excellent Steve Sanford bird drawings.....nothing fancy mind you just a single bird......like a Longbilled Curlew or an Upland Sandpiper......or a Horseshoe Crab and a Knot.....or.....is there an end to the list of things that I know you'd do an excellent job on?....why NO there isn't.........

Steve

Steve, beautiful workmanship, as per usual. I would love to be your apprentice for a summer, I just don't think I could keep up.
Thanks for all the tutorials.

Best - Paul

RL,
I know how hard you've worked to make Vance proud of his "Colorado pond spread"!
Be prepared for pics of some beautiful harvested drakes come fall.
Your paint work makes me feel embarrassed to put my dekes out with yours. But, I know you appreciate my occasional good wingshooting to put grilled duck on the table. I'm looking forward to our fall season and seeing the work you put into Kane, retrieving some of my birds.

Yes, the quality of the decoys makes all the difference...about one percent of the time!

The dog does long division now! Teaching him to hold the pencil, without an thumb was the real "trick"!

John, very nice work!

Pat, thanks! After thirty-plus hours spent painting the hens, I am not a mallard fan either...going back to one or two for hen puddlers. I still have some pickleweeds to paint.

Thanks Rick, now it's time to get repairs done on the rest of rig for this season. Season is just around the corner!

simple working pattern -

ready for final sanding and sealing

still trying to talk my wife into painting them - lol

picture.php

picture.php

great looking bunch rick! only question: where is number 12?

wish my wife would paint,too.

regards,bruce

I hope a certain Golden we both know didn't eat number 12!

Last edited:
great looking bunch rick! only question: where is number 12?

wish my wife would paint,too.

regards,bruce

I hope certain Golden we both know didn't eat number 12!

no - a certain golden you know ate a pillow (actually - just a little fringe ) - cost a couple grand to get it back - and not in usable condition

picture.php

since then - he has been studying to make up for lost time

picture.php

what happened to number 12 is a bit funnier- some how, when i was running them through the band saw- one got upside down - tail board at the bottom - since the plan was 12 mallards and a few blacks- I'll have enough to fill out the dozen and still get the blacks-

as for painting - my wife has a more artistic eye than I do- i can rough in the color and hope she can do the feather details

I'll post pictures when we are done

Back