December Workbench Thread *Happy Holidays*

Tom Modin

even with remodel work finishing up, duck and deer season I was able to work on a couple birds.

Mallard in oils, hollow bass body with cedar head. Have only base coat on bill plus some cleanup to do

D348336E.jpg

First, a couple just finished, cork drake mallard, in oils
mallard1.jpg

Pine Common Eider, also in oil
eider1-3.jpg

and currently on the bench, my first full body attempt, either a mallard or a black
standingblack.jpg

and here a hen mallard I am working on painting. Since I am continually frustrated by hens, I used Grayson Chessers instructions from his book. I figured doing it someone elses way would help me learn, and get a finished product I am happy with. Getting there...still not happy haha...
henmallard.jpg

good work gentlemen

here are the birds after they were finished, still wet and shiny sitting out in the sunlight.

AA4E14ED.jpg

they have a few issues with them nothing horrible but will improve on the next set. mallards numbered 7,8 and 9

I'm diggin the playhouse in the background. It would make a good decoy shop.
anyway a Mandarin duck I,m in the process of painting and a pair of miniature wood ducks.

DSC03119.jpg

DSC03122.jpg

Sean. I love everything about those wood ducks...the pose, the sweeping lines, the paint. Any chance at another photo from a different angle?

Nothing new to post up right now - as RD Wilson likes to say: "Time for all that art to hit the water." But I am always working on stuff.

We're finally starting to see some weather, better water conditions and a few birds. This I did a few all-frond hunts. I think one of my favorite groups of decoys to set out consists of palm frond carvings. It's always neat to see birds decoy over these throwbacks from a time when decoy makers made do with what materials they could find locally.

I got some hateful looks from Sadie during an afternoon hunt on Thursday when we had a big group of mallards hanging over the fronds.... all I managed was poking a few holes in the sky without touching a feather. That inspired me to stay out 'til sunset; but, alas, opportunity flew but once that day.

Back at it the following afternoon with better results. Here are pictures I took of the frond decoys, frond pickleweeds, & Sadie :

View attachment decoys12season 004.jpg

View attachment decoys12season 006.jpg

View attachment decoys12season 060.jpg

View attachment decoys12season 011.jpg

View attachment decoys12season 015.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back