Evinrude Duck-Twin

Derek Bendell

Anybody got one???

How hard are they to find? How bout the folding lower-unit Model???

Love to hear what Guys know about these Motors? I have got a Pic to post too, when I get some extra time.

Derek, nice ducktwins go for big bucks, check them out on ebay. A standard 3.5 evinrude or johnson works just as good, especially with a rattle can camo job. make sure you get one with the angled lower unit and weedless prop. I have seen some 3.5's with a more conventional lower unit that doesnt work nearly as well in the marsh. If you keep the water intake clean these old motors are the next best thing to a little go devil. Rich

Duck-Twins I have never heard of. Whats the difference between that and a big twin? I have 25hp 1959 big twin. Runs like a champ

Ducktwin is a 3.5 hp outboard made in the 50,s and early 60,s came from factory on olivedrab or marsh tan? had a duck logo decal on the cover. Very collectable today. Best part was the lowerunit and weedless prop. By the way most all the ducktwins I have seen are evinrudes,maybe johnson had them too? Rich

I have one, nice motor and parts readily available. The ducktwin is a lightwin with a hunting paintjob and a duck decal. I have owned a few plus some lighttwins. If you really want one contact me but a lighttwin and spraypaint will be just as good. Theres a guy selling the ducktwin decals on one of the antique outboard sites . . bob

I have one and love it BUT don't hunt it, they are too valuable to bang around in the marsh. I have heard that nice folders go for $500.00 but don't know that for fact. Not interested in selling mine. There are similar motors like the other guys have said that do the job just fine for a whole bunch less. The weedless lower unit is a good feature for sure. I could put you in a good one if you are interested but there are plenty around. No point in hunting with aa collectable. Good luck.

Well this one was a good acquisition then I guess. Didn't wanna miss the chance. Original, and in very nice condition. Has the folding Lower Unit, and starts first pull. Pretty slick...

IMG_0809_450x600.jpg

Yes you did do good, same as mine. Maybe a bit cleaner but a sweetheart. I have never been able to find out if the Ducktwin came with a case but the fishing version of it did. Did you find it in Minn?

I just recently became familiar with the folding shaft motors . . . what a cool idea! Surprising they weren't more popular and more companies iddn't make em.

Only observed the weedless design once, but it seemed to be very practical.

Got it in WI.

It ended up tipping over in transport, and denting up one of my good Decoys. A Cork-Scaup helped keep it nice in the back of the Truck all the way home...

I have a Ducktwin folder similar to yours, a 1966. The Ducktwin, Lightwin and Ducktwin ( oh and there was a Yachtwin) 3 HP outboards are great motors. I have 4 of them (1952 thru 1966) plus a parts motor. They are weedless and much more portable than a mud motor.

There is a very useful website dedicated to the Johnsonrude 3's
http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Evinrude%203%20HP%20Lightwin%20Outboard%20Boat%20Motor/default.htm

Ignition and carb kits are still available since the same motor conthinued thru the 1970's as a 4HP.

One note on the weedless lower unit- take good care of it, the part are scarce and $$$$$$. Coongrats again and take good care of it (don't drop it in the lake, old timers here will know what I am talking about)

On my non-folding 1952 Johnson JW-10 3 HP I broke the shear pin once on a sunken stump. Although the Johnson and Evinrude weedless 3 Hp motors have a rubber hub in the propellers to absorb most shocks, if you hit something hard enough the shear pin will break to save the rest of your drive train. Otherwise these little motors are bombproof, just keeep them fed with fresh gas and lube and always close the fuel shutoff valve then run the motor dry when finished for the day to reduce the risk of gumming up the carb.

I have heard that the folding shafts are more fragile than the non-folding ones, so the shear pin may not be enough to prevent major damage, such as at the hinge point on the leg. Nowadays I usually use my folding 1966 Ducktwin at the duck marsh, so I slow right down if there are stumps or sunken logs. After all, it's not a race.......

Back