Marlin, model #120 Magnum pump shotgun.

Jon Yenulonis

While I was growing up, too young to hunt yet, my father was a hunting machine. I remember I helping him paint old decoys, prepare for the hunts in the cold and then patiently waiting at home for him to return when he would head out with his buddies. Duck hunting was his favorite, and, I have no doubt, that’s where my love of the sport came from. Deer hunting was a close second. He used to hunt in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Ohio and a few times in West Virginia. In about 1966 or 67, I was six or seven at the time, he shot an absolute Monster of a buck in Indiana. As the story goes, this buck had about twenty-two countable points on his head. I never heard what it scored, but even to this day, the old taxidermist that preserved the shoulder mount remembers the deer.

Around the time I reached nine or ten, something happened in his life that dramatically changed his whole being. All I remember is that he spent most of a summer in the hospital, only to return a changed man. To this day, I never really heard exactly what happened.

Whatever it was, he pretty much gave up hunting after that. He still enjoyed shooting and plinking however, and we emptied many pounds of brass in my home aged years. .22s, 30-30s, .243, several different caliber handguns and a couple12 ga. shotguns.

I started officially hunting when I was eleven years old. I used my Grandfather’s old 12 gauge hammer gun. Kicked like a mule and patterned way too tight, even with the old low brass shells. I was able to tag along with several of his old hunting buddies. I even managed to harvest a few wabbits and bushytails back then. In the spring of my thirteenth year, my Father, being an astute Marlin Firearms fan, bought a brand new Marlin model #120, Magnum 12 gauge, pump shotgun. After shooting it a few times, we both absolutely fell in love with the piece. It was a rather large, heavy gun, but me being a little big and tough for my age, handled it just fine. When fall came, my Dad offered to sell it to me for about half of what he paid. Seems like I forked over around $75 of my hard earned, farm hand money.

That gun and I became inseparable. I shot my first Ducks with it that fall. I took a pair of Green winged Teal out of a small flock that attempted to settle in amongst my pair of hand carved Blue wing Teal that I was able to scratch out of some scrap 1X and 2X lumber. I still have them as a matter of fact.

Over the next twenty or so years, I lost count of all the game I harvested with that old slide trombone. Mostly winged animals. Quail, Grouse, and of course-Ducks and Geese. I was about thirty or thirty-five when I figured I had just about worn the old gun out. Empties started sticking in the chamber, wood was bare and cracked here and there from use, and the action became loose and sloppy. With my wife’s permission, I went out and shopped around until I found my present piece. I ended up with what I now shoot, an 11-87 Premier, Light Contour, 12 gauge. Love the gun. (Coincidently, my Father’s favorite fowling piece was an original Remington model 1100). Sometime soon after that, I returned, for free of course, the ‘ole pump gun to my father. He eventually sold it or traded it, I’m not sure.

Over the years, the ‘ole Pump Gun came up in conversation often when Dad and I talked. With me always saying how much I remembered and loved the gun, he saying he wished he never sold it tom me, (I always figured in jest).

On Saturday, we buried my Father next to Mom, under a big, shady maple tree. He finally left us after a relatively short and ugly battle with the “Big-C”. On the eve of the service, my Sister sent me a text message saying she had something to give me the next morning. Sure enough, early the next morning, she approached me before the service and said she had something for me, and that I had to get it from her car. At that moment, I was a little busy, so my Son offered to go in my stead. My Son said when he got to her car her husband opened the trunk, reached in, pulled out and handed him a shotgun. He put it in my truck, hidden under the rear seat. Being somewhat pre-occupied, I didn’t realize exactly what happened until a little later. When we got back home, my Son remembered to pull it out from under the seat. He reached in and pulled out a Marlin, model #120 Magnum Pump Shotgun in nearly new condition, just like the one I had growing up. Even though this one is in a lot better shape than the one I gave up years ago, it still fit me and felt the same when I shouldered it for the first time. It seems that my ‘Ole Dad came across this gun a few years ago and jumped on the opportunity to purchase it from the owner. He then gave it to my sister with the promise to keep it a secret, and that upon this dreadful day, she was to hand it off to me. To say I was speechless is a gross understatement. Before I stood it up “next to” the gun cabinet, I had to spend a few moments wiping the tears from the stock and action.

120anddecoys.jpg

Thanks for letting me ramble, this seemed like a good place to share…

Jon

Last edited:
Thank you, Jon, for that wonderful story. It was good to know that you had your father as a mentor for all of your hunting that you did. That makes you a very lucky man. I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing. I'm sure his wish was to be right where he is now!
That is quite a gift that he left you and I'm not just referring to the shotgun.
Al

Thanks for sharing that story about you and your dad. May have even brought a tear to my eye too.

Sorry to hear about your dad, I know your aren't looking for condolences, but please accept mine.

T

Jon~

What a wonderful story in so many ways.

I lost my Dad a couple of years ago. I was so fortunate to have him as a father in many, many ways, but I also got to hunt with him until just a few weeks before he passed. Like you, it gave me the opportunity to write about him at the time - and to share the stories with others who were gunners. I carry with me two messages from that time. First, it's a rich opportunity to be able to share your thoughts about a loved one with others, whether by voice or by "pen". And, among my gunning friends - many of whom had been afield with my Dad - they almost all had the same reaction: that death is another part of the grand cycle we all savor so much, and how lucky I was to have all the memories we shared.

From your words, it sure sounds like the world lost another very good man. I am happy for you that you had such fine times with him.

All the best,

SJS

Jon,
Sorry for your loss,thanks for your story,i can relate. A lot of memories flooded by and i to wiped a tear.
Bill.

Jon, Just one more proof that memories last longer than meat. Sorry for your loss and you did pick the right place to tell that story- we all get it.

Jon,

Sorry for your loss...we're never really ready for it but we must accept and move forward. I can tell just from this story the type of man your father was. Incredible Man is the term that comes to my mind. This goes along with many other hunting fathers that take that extra time and effort for their children no matter what age. We all know you will savor the moment every time you raise and pull the trigger with this one. Enjoy and thanks for sharing this part of your life with us.

-Ron

Jon, sorry to hear of your fathers passing. I lost my dad 10 years ago and recieved his firearms collection. They are so much more than guns they are memories and stories that ya never forget. Everyone one of my dads guns I can tell my family a story about him. That is how I feel he is still around me. Thank you for sharing in this difficult time. Yep, we all get it here at dhbp.

Take care
Gene R.

Jon
What a great story. Your dad had to be a great man. My dad gave me a Marlin o/u coming home from WW II and he died shortly afterwards at the age of 45. He was a WW I vet serving in Germany and France. Needless to say I'll keep that gun.
wis boz

That was an awesome story! That truly is what the love of the outdoors and hunting is all about. The time and memories shared between a father and a son. Passing down the passion of the hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Jon
You have plenty of good memories to share with everyone. I looked on Gun Broker and there is the same pump gun for sale with a 39" barrel!

Dennis

Jon I am so sorry for your lose. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story. It too brought tears to my eyes. I inherited my fathers collection when he pass in 99. In the cabinet there was an old beat up 16ga bolt action that was my great uncles. With it was a picture of a monster buck tied to the roof off a model A and him standing proudly by it holding that gun. The memories are really the most fantastic thing that can be passed down. God Bless

I love that story...I'm wiping tears from my eyes. Your father planned in advance to speak love to you after he was gone. How Beautiful!

Thank you for sharing that story, Jon.

A father's love for his son lasts even past his last days...he'll live on in the memories that that old Marlin invokes...everytime you pick it up or even look at it.

Back