My New (First) Pup

Paul Tychsen

I realize I'm new here and haven't had the opportunity to meet any of you, but felt I have to share a great time in my life - my first dog! I've been waiting to do it for many years. Many of my friends got dogs in college and didn't have the time or facilities to properly care for a dog. Now that I'm in the working life, I have ample time to dedicate to the pup.

For the better part of 15 years I've known I wanted a chocolate. After talking with many trainers in the chocolate world, I narrowed the list of kennels. I finally chose Ten Bear Kennels in IL.

I have 3rd pick on female. The litter is scheduled to be born May 25th.

Can't wait to have a companion in the garage with me while I'm building and carving!

Some pictures of her parents are below. Check out the water entry!

Tick is the Sire: http://www.tenbearkennels.net/about.html

View attachment Tick.jpg

View attachment Tick2.jpg

[inline Tick4.jpg]

Rosie is the Dam: http://www.tenbearkennels.net/contact.html

[inline Rosie2.jpg]

View attachment Tick4.JPG
View attachment Rosie2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Paul!!!! Getting that puppy will be one of the greatest decisions you ever made!!! Those are great looking parents and have some serious drive. Good luck and enjoy!

Tick is an awesome dog. I tried to get a pup sired by him last year but there were only two pups in the liter and I was #3 on the list... Good luck with the new pup. It sure is fun!

Last edited:
That pedigree is stacked, that litter should have serious potential, I was worried when you said chocolate. No worries with blood lines like that! Congadulations Rich.

This will be alot of dog. If you're not already a member, join a local Retriever Field Trial club. This dog's Pedigree has some very nice Field Trial dogs in it and you may just end up with one that can do the same.

Good Luck with the new pup.

Ron

Paul
Good luck with your new pup, I know what the waiting game is like, I waited 9 months to get my pup but it was worth it.she is now 2 months old today.
That pedigree looks quite impresive and you should get a good pup from that litter.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its all about Building that Bond.

I, for one, will enjoy seeing pics of your new pup and the progress you make with her during the summer and fall. I'll then be looking forward to pics from the 2012 season when you take her duck hunting. Best of luck to you.
Al

Hey All-

Great news. Got the pup 2 weeks ago and she's doing wonderful.

Her name is Canvas....I wanted something I hadn't heard before - and also duck related.

I introduced her to a few puddles over the course of last week. This week she swam a few feet to grab her first water retrieve! Yesterday I took her to a dogpark (I'm in Minneapolis for work this week) and after a long hot walk, she decided to take a dip in the river. All signs point toward her becoming a good waterdog.

She's very well mannered as well. She wakes me up when she has to pee (once a night). Also follows me around wherever I go. She essentially heels already.

Today she spotted a songbird that flew to a tree. She walked up to the tree and the bird took off, with her watching intently.

She also doesn't seem startled by loud noises (i.e. airbrakes, motorcycles, etc).

Below are some pics:

Carride home from the kennel:
[inline IMAG0074.jpg]

Retrieving day 1:
[inline IMAG0083.jpg]

[inline IMAG0096.jpg]

Her first day swimming @ 8 weeks.
[inline IMAG0166.jpg]

[inline IMAG0167.jpg]

View attachment IMAG0074.JPG
View attachment IMAG0083.JPG
View attachment IMAG0096.JPG
View attachment IMAG0166.JPG
View attachment IMAG0167.JPG

Great looking pup I wish you the best of luck with her! Be paitent with her when she gets to be about 2 to3 months old they seem to get out of controll at that age, atleast thats how it was with my pup .He was a little ball of fire. If he wasent in the crate or out in the field with me he was getting into trouble. He is now 3 1/2 and is a great dog I couldent imagine life without him.

You have to be on pins and needles. Best of luck to you. Your hunting buddy will be just fine in your hands.
Al

Congrats Paul,
It'll be worth the wait! My old Choc is going on 11 and he has been one of the best. Don't be afraid to ask everybody on here questions that might arise. Especially Crazy Eddie Kershaw. He is like the Lab Whisperer. Although he types with a UK accent, he knows his poop.

Regards,
Ballard

Congrats on your new hunting buddy!!! I waited along time to get my first pup as well she is 2 now, cant imagine not having her around. Last season was her first season, on our 2nd hunt we hunted with 3 other guys and I didnt shoot so I could work with her. I think I enjoyed watching her work more than the hunt, made all of the hours of training worth it. Hope you and your pup have lots of great memories together.

Last edited:
Brian
Sher--------------s Ive just been talking to Amber and she said how is that aggis basher doing, I have tried to phone you a few times mate but I have,nt had any luck. Theres a blar blec a moonlec nec tonec, mate.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its all about Building that Bond.

Eddie, Couldn't have said it better myself.;-). Glad to hear all is well on that side of the big pond. Hug Amber for me and the boys.

Paul, Congrats on the new pup, your life will never be the same.

Last edited:
Paul, to echo what someone else said, join a local club, be it AKC or HRC, and learn from others experience. I would also suggest a formal training program; there are several out there with video series to get you and your pup started on the correct foot and guide you through the training process. The are things like force fetching and collar conditioning which you will need to be thinking about soon as well.

And to add my $.02. Crate training and "SIT". I believe those to be at the top of my list of important things for any dog to learn. manners first, then obedience then field training.

Back