NDR- Fishing Rod Guide Replacement

Carl

Staff member
Anyone here ever replace a guide (not tip) on a fishing rod?
How hard is it?
I know have three old rods that I love but each have a broken guide.
Thinking about spending $20 to get a guide kit off Amazon, they come with guides, thread and glue.
Thanks!

It's easy Carl. I've replaced a few guides as well as building complete rods. I usually go to a tackle shop that has a selection of guides and pick an appropriate size and composition. A kit would be a safe way to start.

Yes, what Pete said. Easy Peasy. No fancy equipment required for simple guide replacement. You can use a tall chair, or one with arms rests, to hold the rod so you can spin it as you wrap. If I had to suggest one trick to minimize frustration, it's filing the guide foot a little to smooth the thread transition from rod to guide.

Yes, what SJ said plus I put the thread bobbin in a cup then run it thru the pages of a heavy book to add and aid tension while you spin the rod.

I made a couple of rods from blanks as a college student with no equipment--just turning the blank on my lap. Takes a while to get the feel for keeping tension on the thread. Easy Peasy if you don't care about cosmetics. Takes experience to get them looking really good. I used varnish to coat the wraps 35 years ago. I wonder if epoxy would be more durable--or if the rod flex would break it?

Epoxy is the most common winding finish today. Far more durable than the old varnish, which is what I learned to build rods with as a kid.

Thanks guys!
This gives me the confidence to make repairs to the rods I have. I'll order a kit and post results when I'm done.
I've got a lot of wood laying around the shed, might make a rack to hold the blanks while I spin them.
My daughter can help with wrapping & tension.

Like others have said it isn't too difficult. Just take your time and you will be fine.
I've built a bunch of rods on a simple wrapping station made out of a box a lot like this. Only thing I'd add are a couple slots on the sides where the rod is cradled. I use them to put a rubber band over the top of the rod so it can't jump out of the V while you are turning it.

I made a jig like Tim mentioned but out of wood with a couple of v shaped slots to roll the rod in. I had a rod I really liked that I had broken a few guides on that I wanted to fix myself, and while not a pro job, it came out fine and is still good 15 years later. Using something like this also made it easier for me to make sure the guides were lined up properly.

My supplies showed up today. I’ll work on the rods this weekend.

First wrap and epoxy coat. Pretty darn easy, especially with all the YouTube videos!
IMG_0972.jpeg

IMG_0970.jpeg

One tip to get a little cleaner look, not that it is always important. Before you apply the thread coating wrap a layer of scotch tape about an 1/8 of an inch ahead of the guide and behind the thread. Leave a little folded over tag end on it. Then after you apply the coating the tape can be taken off and you will get a cleaner look.

Carl,
I did this in 1965 with my Grandad on ice fishing poles. I can't offer any advice because I was 10 at the time. But, thanks for the memory. I now have his ice fishing poles and they have been used by 4 generations of ice fishermen.
RVZ

Back