Eiders & Scoters on the coast of Maine

Steve Sanford

A good friend and I just spent two sublime days on the coast of Maine in quest of Eiders and other Sea Ducks. I was driven by a lifelong curiosity – having read about hunting Eiders among the rocky islands of Maine's rugged coast in Connett and Barber and a host of other classic waterfowling books. The Common Eider was the only Atlantic Flyway species I had yet to shoot – but this was not about killing an Eider for any checklist. Rather, I wanted the experience that could only come from being in the right setting, in the right weather – and with the right partners. Mark Wesner and I have gunned together since we met here in eastern New York's dairy country about 15 years ago - he a transplant from the Keystone State, I from the south shore of Long Island. We've spent many fine adventures afield together – this was to be a special one. And, thanks to duckboats.net, I found the right expert to make it happen. Neither Mark nor I had ever hired a guide before. With Capt. Troy Fields of Traditions Guide Service ( http://www.traditionsguideservice.com/ ) in southern Maine, we could not have done any better.

We drove across Vermont and New Hampshire in light snow on Thursday afternoon. After stopping to visit an old friend on the way, we got to our motel after dark. It was still dark when we launched the next morning.

The first sign of good things was – literally – a sign. Unlike the restrictions and prohibitions and exclusion I find increasingly at Long Island launch sites, this one was truly welcoming. I especially liked the hours that accommodate those who use the water other than from "sunrise to sunset" – the hours I typically see on LI.
1-Welcome_zpsc431f1f1.jpg

Troy launches over the beach – hard-packed but still 4WD habitat. We enjoyed the next two mornings in the comfortable and seaworthy Bailey Bridge Boat that Troy has modified for hunting sea ducks. BBBs are military craft designed to be locked transom-to-transom with another and then – along with dozens of other pairs – support a plank "road" to allow vehicles to cross rivers and such on a floating bridge. He has posted his build previously here at duckboats.

2-Launchsite1_zps75986a8a.jpg

3Gunningboatontrailer1_zps3c134b87.jpg

A licensed Captain and a Master Guide, Troy was competent, organized, hard-working - and wonderful company.

4AttheHelm1_zps36a846dc.jpg

The swells from a 5-day nor'easter put us in the lee of a wild, rocky island. An old lighthouse and keepers cottage – straight out of an Edward Hopper painting – kept us company.
5Lighthouse2_zps83d1d5bc.jpg

It was also easy to understand why Winslow Homer - we were just miles from his Prout's Neck studio - could not help but paint this dramatic coastline.
6Backwash1_zps88652cd0.jpg

We hunted over a rig of burlapped Eider and Scoter stool – all on long-lines. We were in 6 or 7 fathoms of water on Day 1 and 4 or 5 fathoms on Day 2. The rig worked well and we enjoyed plenty of opportunity. The flight and especially the flock movements of divers are just mesmerizing and we took plenty of moments just to watch them fly the rig. We took our time and picked our shots. On my first "attempt" – as about 15 or 20 Black Scoters peeled over the rig – I was distracted by two Purple Sandpipers right in the middle of the flock and never pulled the trigger. We see very few Purples on Long Island – because they like rocks, which are a rarity on Great South Bay. Maine has plenty of rocks – and many more Purple Sandpipers than I have seen before.
7Rig1_zpsf93eec8a.jpg

9Scoterstool2_zpsc003f03b.jpg

A new "life bird" for me was a Black Guillemot. We had 3 different ones fly by and I got a good look at the second one. They are the size of and fly like a Butterball but show even more white in the wings. Here is how Audubon painted them (we , of course, saw only the winter plumage):
audubon-vi-seabirds-black-guillemot_zpsf0679089.jpg

Other "big water" birds we saw were Horned and Red-necked Grebes, Common and Red-throated Loons and Great Cormorants. We saw dozens of Oldsquaw but they typically stayed wide. We had a few hens buzz the rig but we did not salute any of them. We also saw a Rough-legged Hawk – down from the tundra for the winter – hovering over the island. And, we had a Harbor Seal swim up within about 30 yards of our stern – but it "sank" before I could snap the shutter. Later, we saw dozens hauled out on some rocks further in.

Troy worked very hard throughout the whole hunt –

12Guidehardatwork2_zps89719ac8.jpg

but maybe Black Pearl worked even harder. Here she retrieves the first Black Scoter I have shot in about 30 years.
10PearlampBlack1_zpse408ac65.jpg

I remember seeing my first one when I was about 4. My Dad would always bring his birds to the entryway right off our kitchen and I would inspect them. I had forgotten how luminous was the knob on a Pumpkinbill Coot....

11BlackScoter1_zps3af2f723.jpg

Inspecting the birds in the hand in another one of those lifelong "behaviors" which have never failed me.
21Pumpkinbill1_zps22139ce1.jpg

Here is Troy proudly brandishing his "shepherd's crook". We can all look forward to a step-by-step tutorial so we can each make our own.

18ShephardsCrookdetail_zpsaa3ed30a.jpg

Here is Pearl bringing me my first-ever drake Eider. BTW: Troy frequently helped Pearl out by picking her up with the boat on the longer retrieves. I had never seen such current outside of an inlet or river.
13PearlampEider1_zps81b073e3.jpg

The blushes on the breast and scapulars are wonderful to behold. (Seinfeld devotees will know that George Costanza would say the breast has a "pinkish hue".....)
14Eiderinhand2_zps584c305c.jpg

The "black" on the crown is a deep, inky blue on close inspection.
19Eiderhead1_zpsd2328af1.jpg

The adult hens are no less spectacular in hand.
20Hencoverts1_zpse04870f2.jpg

Here is Mark with 3 nice drakes. We both shot reasonably well. I did better when I followed Troy's advice to stand when shooting – to let my knees accommodate the roll of the swells. We had our share of blunders but also made a few doubles. Best of all, we only lost two birds. My first Eider dove and was never seen again. We chased one of Mark's hen Eiders halfway to Portugal – but she judiciously stayed at least a long gunshot away – and always dove in the blink of an eye. We were both relieved that 2 3/4" #3s were sufficient – with the vast majority of our birds "dead in the air". I shot my Dad's Winchester Model 50 (circa 1954) and Mark shot his Browning "humpback" A-5 (circa 1970).
15CWwiththreesome_zpsbfd3b3cf.jpg

One of my blunders required 3 "sucker shots" to down this drake (the bad kind of "triple"....). He snaked off into the rocks and required the services of Black Pearl. That big splash to the left of the bird is Pearl to the rescue.
16RockEider1_zps89cf06e7.jpg

Right back to the boat....
17RockEider4_zps92cca6dc.jpg

Pot buoys were everywhere but we only saw a couple of lobster boats over our two mornings.
8Rigwithlobsterboat_zps472ef0d3.jpg

One last look - the end of a perfect experience.
22TheEnd_zpseff884fb.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
That looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing. I haven't been after eider in a couple years and that essay makes me want to plan something for next year.

Looks like a bucket list day... We have a few along the south shore... Just need decoys... Did the tides affect the birds? Best on dropping tide???

Good morning, Rich~

We had dropping tides both days - but Troy told us it's mostly the time of day - the first 90 minutes in the morning being prime time. We had good action all morning long each day - it was actually hard to tell stories on Day 1 because birds kept showing up.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks so much for sharing your hunt Steve. I've had one opportunity for Eiders and that was in RI. I'd love to go back and hunt them again, but in Maine as you did.

I've hunted the big water of Lake Michigan so I am always interested in the safety equipment that the professionals use. From your pictures I see that Troy has two items on his left shoulder - it appears one might be a waterproof strobe light but the other I don't recognize. The black handled item with the holey metal end - I assume it's some type of knife but ??

So many times we take the plumage of hens for granted but the hen Eider has to be one of the most striking birds in the fleet.

Pete~

I'm pretty sure Troy was never tempted to pull it on me - but it was indeed a knife. I'm thinking maybe a Spyderco - but I'll let Troy chime in. With all the many lines and anchors - and some powerful seas - it sure seems like a useful tool that needs to be at-the-ready.

All the best,

SJS

Last edited:
I have been waiting for pictures since we talked. And they are greater then I imagined thanks for sharing.

What a great hunt, pictures, and story, Steve. I enjoyed those closeups of the ducks in particular. The other thing that was so much fun was to see Pearl in action.
Al

Steve,

The pleasure was all mine. I'm glad the trip was all that you had hoped for and that I was able to show you a little bit of my corner of the world. The two days were certainly filled with great times, good conversation, flights of sea ducks and most important, mutual appreciation of the sport and birds we all love so much.

I must say this... This forum is filled with great people!

Here are a couple more photos to accompany yours.

Pete~ Yes to your guess. I actually have three attachments to my PFD. In the bottom left pocket is a waterproof VHF radio and then taped to the upper left shoulder strap is a Tekna dive knife and lastly a big whistle. Every now and then you hear of somebody getting a foot wrapped and ending up in the water, so I try reasonable precautions that keep me on the floating side of life if you will. I've worn that pfd so often now that I don't feel right running the boat without it, especially during duck season or if I'm alone.

Thanks Troy, I have been in the situation where a longline was wrapped around a prop so the knife is a given. I have wondered about having something like a gut-hook available to cut lines in an emergency. I saw the radio also - waterproof of course. Thinks can go wrong in an instant - as you know.

Looks like you run a great operation.

Pete

Steve, Great story & pictures . You brought back some fond memories having been there numerous times & enjoyed it very much . That area requires Excellent equipment & safety devices, Can be tough guning if you don't go prepared. Thanks PAUL

Great story and pictures thanks for sharing them Steve. My son and some friends went out Monday afternoon and just about limited out with 19 Old Squaw and a scooter. I always seem to mis-out on the the good shoots with him. He did not take the dog for fear of her swimming into the long lines and getting back into the boat. How did that work for the dog up their?

Great story! One more hunt for the growing bucket list...Steve Sanford's retirement activities are making it harder for me to count the days until I can pull the plug and join him as a gentleman of "leisure"!

Back